Official Review: Satan and Me and OBE by Bob Dowell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Official Review: Satan and Me and OBE by Bob Dowell

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Satan and Me and OBE" by Bob Dowell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Satan and Me and OBE by Bob Dowell is the author’s account of two out-of-body experiences he had at different stages of his life. When the author was a child, he suffered an emergency appendectomy and found himself in hell being tormented by Satan. The incident stuck with him for his entire life. Decades later, the author underwent another medical issue, this time as a saved Christian. Miraculously, he once more encountered the devil and had an entire conversation with Satan about his motives, perspective on God, and why Satan thinks he’s winning the war in heaven.

The author’s conversation with the devil takes the form of a dialogue and recounts the events of the Bible from Satan’s perspective. The author acts as both interviewer and narrator. Satan describes his cunning, his victories, and his defeats while the believer offers a more biblically sound account of the devil’s influence on humanity. The conversation essentially fills in the “off the record” moments throughout biblical history, offering more understanding of early humanity’s plight, weaknesses, and sin.

This book supplies answers to questions some believers may have always wondered about. For instance, what did the snake tell Eve in order to convince her to eat the forbidden fruit? Why was Cain’s offering unacceptable to God? What happened in heaven before earth was created? What exactly was Satan’s role throughout Israel’s history? Among others.

This book is split into three acts and an epilogue. The first act covers the Old Testament, the second and third acts cover the New Testament, and the epilogue delves into Revelation. The devil wants to prove through examining biblical record that he is winning the battle against God. Dowell counters the devil with evidence to prove his gains are temporary; Satan’s defeat is already decided. Both parties argue their cases like lawyers, questioning and refuting each other’s reasoning.

This book is certainly interesting and fun to read, but I’m not sure how fellow believers will react to it. The devil’s demeanor is disarming (which made me uncomfortable), and he apparently has a penchant for puns. Satan and the author almost seem like a pair of old rivals having a friendly debate. Also, given that this is the devil, I found myself skeptical of just about everything Satan said, even if it made sense. He is the great deceiver, after all.

The book was professionally edited, and I only noticed two errors. This book could be helpful to new believers because it highlights important biblical events and clearly explains them. I particularly enjoyed the portions that focused on Paul’s evangelism.

I enjoyed reading this book, so I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. The main difficulty with this story is there’s no way to prove anything the devil relates is true. However, the author‘s sincerity in his message to save others through God’s word definitely stands out.

Satan and Me and OBE
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Momiji1987's review? Post a comment saying so!
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

This sounds like a fascinating read. I don't think that OBEs/NDEs are authentic, anyhow, so I'll read this one as a fictional, enjoyable tale. I'm especially interested in reading Satan's side of things, especially how he thinks he's "winning", though looking at the world today, he IS winning in a certain sense, hence his title as the king of this world.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds like a facilitating read! I am particularly interested in knowing Satan's point of view and his mind set. It is intriguing to read a book which is out of perspective, usually we hear stories about the heavens but not from hell, it will be interesting to know their side of the story. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Fascinating. So this is actually an out of body experience by a believer and discussion of such. I might have to pick it up just to see what he has to say. As a believer, I'm unsure how I feel about our of body experiences. I do know I've never had one myself. Thanks for the great information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

Oh my goodness me, I have no idea what to make of this! I’m not religious myself (or as lapsed as they come) and I generally believe that OBEs are in the mind, but I’m fascinated with this author who went through this - did he ever discuss it with medical professionals?! Thought your review was excellent.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I'm very frequently amazed by the sheer variety of premises authors come up with for religious books. God and Satan arguing it out like lawyers, using the Bible as evidence, is something I've never considered. I'm not sure if I really believe in out-of-body experiences, though.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

It seems as though "fellow believers", such as myself will need to pull up on our big faith in God, in order not to overreact to it; wherefore, based upon your interesting review with minor spoiler alerts, I might give it a try.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Ha, I had an emergency appendectomy when I was nine months pregnant and I can relate to the author's hellish metaphor. Mine, however, ended in the removal of not only my appendix, but a small child :lol2:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Tingnyai364
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Tingnyai364 »

Satan and me and OBE by Bob dowell...

Well i think that is an interesting book. I have read many books specially from ''Embassy of Lucifer''.
Satan came to this earth disobeying GOD not to bow down to human created with Mud and clay. He(satan)wants to prove that humans are merely not a thing higher than the Angels in above. So he took the challenges to prove human as a sinful creature who does not deserve worshipping. So he came down to earth to deceive humans. And if they fall prey they become sinful and thus satan wins in the arguement. Therefore satan will do anything in his jurisdictions to bring the humans to their guiltyness.

The above Book has due came to the point of fight between GOD and Devil. The agruments.Therefore drawing light to reality which every Christians ought to perceive. Thanks a lot to the author.
Rating 4/4
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

NL Hartje wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 00:35 Ha, I had an emergency appendectomy when I was nine months pregnant and I can relate to the author's hellish metaphor. Mine, however, ended in the removal of not only my appendix, but a small child :lol2:
I'm pretty sure that this comment wins the Internet for the day.

I think I would have to read this book as fiction to get through it.
Edgeona
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edgeona.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Edgeona »

The book sounds interesting, could be fictional, there are no prove he spoke to Satan.. But it is a must read to everyone
Vinstine
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Vinstine »

Seeing the name " setan and me and OBE" at first made it scary but after reading the review ( although i dont actually believe in fictions ) made it interesting to know how the argument ended between the two parties.

Thank's for the review
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

As a Christian I obviously ascribe to the possibility of supernatural, yet I am always skeptical when it comes to out of body experiences. If the book portrays Satan as the Bible portrays him -- the Deceiver, the Father of Lies, and intent upon stealing away what rightfully belongs to God -- then I shouldn't have too much problem with this book as speculation. As fact: I couldn't accept it at all.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The book is full of battle between man and Satan. Man has to strengthen his relationship with God to defeat devil. In fact, a good review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for an interesting review. I'm inclined to think that most out-of-body experiences are just dreams, perhaps induced by high fever, and the pain of the appendicitis would no doubt account of the sensation of being in hell, as NL Hartje suggests. You make the second part of the book sound quite intriguing - but I'm not sure that I'm going to spend hard cash on this one.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”