Official Review: The Clouds Still Hang

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Official Review: The Clouds Still Hang

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Clouds Still Hang" by Patrick C Notchtree.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Clouds Still Hang by Patrick C Notchtree is a confessional biography or biographical memoir that explores the life and trials of the author, who has been given the name of Simon. The author makes a very important note about this not being an autobiography, perhaps because the author might have added some fictionalised elements in the story, but primarily because the names of the characters have been changed. This story is not for children, a fact that the author has consistently made clear as the story contains sexually explicit material from the very beginning. This story is perfect for adults who love reading books that expose the emotional exhibitionism of writers. While it is clearly not an autobiography, it reminds me of books like Prozac Nation and The Bell Jar, stories that explore the self with unabashed candour.

The story essentially covers a myriad of themes, exploring relationships, love, betrayal and much more. Simon suffers through a traumatic childhood simply because he is “different” from others. Some kids call him “Simple Simon”, while less euphemistic names are given to him. This is in part because his parents are not married. His father has served the country in the World War, and it is clear from his behaviour at home that the war affected him deeply. Another thing that influenced the protagonist was the fact that his mother was a broken woman who would begin crying very often. Watching his mother cry shattered little Simon, and he would often weep with her.

The story also delineates Simon’s complex relationship with an older boy and makes it clear that Simon had a conflict with his sexuality at a very young age. It deals with the trauma and quest for self-acceptance that has marred the protagonist of the story, and it contains not just sexually explicit material, but also a narrative of sexual violence.

In my opinion, left-leaning people who are conscious of their political orientation and are pro-LGBT would fall in love with this story, because it is heartbreakingly beautiful and personal, and explores the difficulties of being in the LGBT community as well as the inevitable hindrances that inhibit the prosperity of this community. The most beautiful thing about this story is how it deals with a social issue in a personal manner. The author has given his everything to this story and is completely vulnerable in the face of moral judgement by the reader. However, even conservative people who understand and respect the concept of human rights would love this story and would find themselves understanding the nuances of what it is to be in the LGBT community.

The writing style of the author is stunning, and the eloquence with which the narrative has been woven is quite commendable. For these reasons (and many more), I happily rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I wish there was a higher rating because this book certainly deserves it.

The Clouds Still Hang
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like 420waystoreachthesun's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is too explicit for me and not really my theme. Glad that you enjoyed it, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Surprisingly, the explicit scenes and LGBT community rawness would interest me rather than turn me away. I can always learn more in the way of empathy. The scenes with the broken mother though are what would get me. :cry2:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
420waystoreachthesun

I hope you love the book too. It is definitely worth the read.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Stories like this are really important to document, I think. Many people who have similar crises with their sexuality feel very alone, and narratives like these could help alleviate those feelings. It certainly helps if the book in question is well-written, as this one seems to be!
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Not my kind of read. But, thanks for the review. The spoiler alerts certainly helped my decision.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Seashel12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Seashel12 »

I am intriqued
420waystoreachthesun

To be honest, I love explicit. I respect your choice though.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

This book sounds like a raw, breathtaking memoir-of-sorts, and it's clear from your review it's made its impact on you--it's lovely when readers really connect with a book! It's books like these that are creating more safe spaces in our community today for the LGBT community, and I think many readers will be grateful for that :)

Thank you for your review, it was very detailed about the themes in the book and I really appreciate it! :)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A biographical memoir exploring the trials of the author sounds inspiring. A book that explores the difficulties of being in the LGBT community is an important one. However, books like The Bell Jar are difficult for me to read, so I don't think this one is for me either. I don't think that just left-leaning people will care for the tale, though. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Sounds like a gripping read! I could definitely tolerate the graphic details as long as they serve the context. Thanks for the candid and thorough review.
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

When I read this was non-fiction, my heart sunk a little because it's not generally the genre I go for. As I continued reading I became very interested by your comments that liken it to The Bell Jar in the sense that it could be a fictionalized story.

I am somewhat interested in this book although I wonder of I might find it too explicit in terms of both trauma and sexualized content. We shall see.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

I am not really into memoirs. This confessional memoir touches conflict with sexuality and with the trauma for self-acceptance that has marred the protagonist of the story and is sexually explicit. LGBT and pro LGBT community will find this book interesting. Will share for my friends that should be interested.
Sympathyodeh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sympathyodeh »

The story is well build for adult specification not for children, it contain sexual materials which can currpt the mind of children. In the other hand is good in developing emotion and maimtain relationship in adult.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. This biographical memoir definitely sounds like a raw hard look into the author’s life from a child on up. It also sounds like a read that will have a profound impact on the reader. I would say that people who don’t do explicit material or may have trigger issues with violence especially of the sexual variety pass on this one. Congrats to the author on a terrific review.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”