Official Review: Daily Warrior by Kim Alfreds

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: Daily Warrior by Kim Alfreds

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Daily Warrior" by Kim Alfreds.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Author Kim Alfreds has compiled 366 daily entries in his book, Daily Warrior: Daily Meanderings of an Old Warrior, that focus on inspirational sayings and motivational advice. With the use of his knowledge, works from others, and analogies, Alfreds describes the makings of a true warrior. He describes a warrior as, “a person engaged in some struggle or conflict”.

This is written in the three main point-of-views. Alfreds uses the first-person when he shares a couple of personal experiences, the second-person when he references his audience by using “you”, and the third-person when referencing general warriors. The switching was a little off-putting due to inconsistency, but not too distracting.

The book is divided into months and each day is clearly marked, including February twenty-ninth. Due to the entries being fairly short, someone leading an active life could easily read an entry a day. Some of the messages that came across are not necessarily new, but can be useful. For instance, creating a plan, enjoying life’s challenges, keeping it simple, and “Say what you mean and mean what you say.” (loc. 2122) are just a few examples.

However, the writing style was not one to my liking. I found the writing to be harsh, impatient, bogged down with too many analogies, and found some inconsistencies. The harshness and impatience come through in the following statements: “It’s tough being you, isn’t it?” (loc. 995), “Now have a brain, okay?” (loc. 1222), “Pay attention. Come on...really pay attention.” (loc. 1386-1393), “You are not so smart.” (loc. 3703), and several others. These types of sentences are not very motivating and can be hurtful to some. As far as consistency is concerned, at one point, the author says, “They (or it) tell us that confrontation must be avoided at all costs...The true warrior knows it takes confrontation to grow. (loc. 2287), and then later, he says, “The true warrior does not seek out discord, distress, and confrontation.” (loc. 2439). This makes it unclear if a true warrior gets involved in any sort of confrontation or not.

In general, though, the book could use more editing. For example, in the sentence, “Seek outside counsel and knowledge, and while you are it, take care of the small stuff…” (loc. 2332), “while you are it” is missing an “at” for the sentence to make sense. Unfortunately, there are others throughout.

As a warning, there was some talk about death, embracing pain, belief in God, and some inappropriate language scattered throughout. I found the talk about embracing pain could be a bit problematic with people who may not be emotionally and/or mentally stable, and the selective curse words seemed very out of place.

After much consideration and though the premise is interesting, I did not find Daily Warrior completely served its purpose as a daily inspirational book. Perhaps those who do well with “tough love” may find this to be more inspiring, but I did not. Therefore, I give this book a 2 out of 4 stars.

Daily Warrior
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Thanks for the enlightening review! The style of a devotional book was a good idea, but the content sounds less than motivating and even conflicting at times. For these reasons, I’ll look elsewhere for a devotional guide. Thanks!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, stacie k! I definitely agree that the premise is good, but the content is less motivating than the initial idea. Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Kiboko1
Currently Reading: To Kill a Mockingbird
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Kiboko1 »

Sounds very inspirational.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Kiboko1 wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 04:04 Sounds very inspirational.
Thank you for checking my review out.
Heidi

Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I am not exactly a fan of motivational books, but I do have a warrior spirit sometimes. :) In this case, I agree with you that I do not feel encouraged or motivated in any way when somebody tries to impose something on me rather than calmly persuading me by using good arguments. I prefer using my warrior spirit to be more ambitious and tenacious. I think the book could use some revision and better editing. Thank you very much for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I also prefer a calmer tone when someone tries to encourage or motivate me. I find phrases that put people down (like the ones I listed above) to be disrespectful, and I'm fairly sensitive when I feel disrespected.

That's awesome you feel you have a warrior spirit! Sometimes, I think I do, too! Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts. :)
Heidi

Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

According to this book, we are all warriors! Warriors everyday! Facing all the challenges that come our way and gaining new experience, it is like we have so many things to learn till old age. A list of never ending learning sessions till death and beyond. Thank you for sharing this thought-provoking book and review, it is truly inspiring!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
naicme32
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naicme32.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Part II by B. Truly

Post by naicme32 »

A warrior is trained to kill or protect. The writer premises was a good one.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 08:54 According to this book, we are all warriors! Warriors everyday! Facing all the challenges that come our way and gaining new experience, it is like we have so many things to learn till old age. A list of never ending learning sessions till death and beyond. Thank you for sharing this thought-provoking book and review, it is truly inspiring!
I'm not sure if you've read my review fully, but this wasn't paritcularly inspiring unfortunately... :eusa-think: Thank you for checking my review out!
Heidi

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

naicme32 wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 15:10 A warrior is trained to kill or protect. The writer premises was a good one.
For this particular type of warrior, it has nothing to do with killing or protecting. It's more about being an inner warrior, find your inner strength, and being a stronger person.
Heidi

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one seems a bit all over the place. I can't believe an inspirational book would include curse words. Plus, the harsh tone of some of the narrative. I think I'll skip this one, but thanks for bearing with it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Am I the only one who cringed to hear the word "Warrior" in both the title and the subtitle!? It's like nails on a chalkboard to me. Personal peeve I guess :hand:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

kandscreeley wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 19:01 This one seems a bit all over the place. I can't believe an inspirational book would include curse words. Plus, the harsh tone of some of the narrative. I think I'll skip this one, but thanks for bearing with it.
I glad I'm not the only one who thinks that curse words and inspirational don't really go together. The harsh tone wasn't for me either. No worries, thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts!
Heidi

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

NL Hartje wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 22:17 Am I the only one who cringed to hear the word "Warrior" in both the title and the subtitle!? It's like nails on a chalkboard to me. Personal peeve I guess :hand:
That's a really good point. I think I was overcome with the other aspects of the book that the title didn't phase me right away, but you're right, it is repetitive.
Heidi

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”