Official Review: Barely Surviving by David J. Glunt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Official Review: Barely Surviving by David J. Glunt

Post by BookishCreature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Barely Surviving" by David J. Glunt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The laws of nature bend for no man, as David Glunt can attest. His book, Barely Surviving: A Long War with Physics, is equal parts memoir, short story collection, and cautionary tale. In a breezy, humorous style, it showcases his ongoing battles with gravity, force, states of matter, heat (or lack thereof), and everything else the universe has to offer.

In addition to healthy levels of self-deprecation, Glunt’s book has an almost grandfatherly charm to it. The writing feels as though he is telling you his stories over tea, dispensing bits of wisdom along the way – “Check the plumbing when you turn on the water in an old house,” he cautions, having learned that lesson the hard way when his ceiling soaked through and caved in thanks to a leaky, decades-old pipe. Throughout the book, his lighthearted tone and consistent repetition of his catchphrase – “Lord have mercy!” – brought a smile to my face. I found a few grammar and punctuation errors here and there, but none that significantly impacted the reading experience.

The stories themselves are short, sweet, and easy to pick up and put back down, making this book a perfect light read for those days when you need a pick-me-up. Each chapter is a roughly chronological account of the author’s ability to “barely survive,” and I particularly liked the tales from Glunt’s childhood in the good ol’ days when kids could freely wander the countryside. Another favorite was his account of the worst night of his life looking after a grandkid, a sick daughter, and a disobedient dog – definitely a long and eventful evening!

That said, I feel like Barely Surviving lacked a bit of focus. Some of the stories packed a real punch – usually funny or ironic, but sometimes surprisingly touching. However, other stories felt like they were thrown in because of a tangential relationship to whichever law of physics the chapter was dedicated to. Cutting back on quantity in favor of quality would really elevate the book, in my opinion.

On a related note, the epilogue seemed to come out of left field. After story upon story of mishaps and foibles, the epilogue switches to a more informative breakdown of fatality rates for various methods of travel and household activities. It ended a lighthearted read on a rather morbid note, and I’m not sure it was really necessary.

Though I have a few quibbles with the structure of Barely Surviving, I still wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a light, breezy memoir. Glunt’s writing is honest and genuine, and his stories are sure to liven up an afternoon and leave you smiling. I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars for its humor and wit.

Barely Surviving
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BookishCreature's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Despite the not quite perfect rating, this sounds like a really interesting collection of stories. I'm not usually into memoirs much, but this sounds like it would be fascinating. I love that this is centered around nature and barely surviving!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MollyEnter
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollyenter.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by MollyEnter »

I appreciate your honesty in this review! Nicely done. I'm probably going to skip reading this book, however, because while the humor appeals to me, it doesn't sound like it is focused enough for me to enjoy.
"There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner.”
– Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale
Seashel12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Seashel12 »

This sounds a great read, i will adding this to my to do list.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”