Official Review: Life Really Is Like Football

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Official Review: Life Really Is Like Football

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life Really Is Like Football" by Dr. T. 'Gus' Gustafson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life Really is Like Football by Dr. T. ‘Gus’ Gustafson is a self-help book that I would highly recommend to everyone. As the title suggests, the author likens life to (American) Football. He uses this analogy to motivate you to win your game of life. According to Dr. Gustafson, “winning means managing your desires, objectives and dreams to achieve your own unique goals in life.”

The book does not focus on giving advice for self-improvement but rather on understanding the rules to the game of life. Like in (American) Football, we have a game plan for daily live, even though we might not be aware of it. Also, like in the sport, we have many teammates we can call on for assistance. Of course, we also have many opponents that are actively and passively trying to deter us from winning in life. If we become conscious of the rules of life and in light of them take the time to improve and implement better game plans, it seems guaranteed that we should enjoy a more successful life.

I simply loved this book. It was meticulously organized. It is comprised of 20 brief chapters that include a number of interactive tables to help the reader apply the content. The author obviously had this book professionally edited because I could not spot a single grammatical error. His writing style was also very engaging as it had a conversational tone all throughout the book. There is also an appendix at the end that list the websites referenced by chapter.

Although, I mentioned that the book does not focus on giving advice for self-improvement, the author does speak on social, physical and spiritual matters. It is just that he encourages you to ponder these issues in your particular scenario instead of trying to give you a generalized solution without having your full history. I found myself doing a lot of introspection.

The only fault that I see that people could find with this book is that sometimes the (American) Football reference may not be so clear if the reader is not knowledgeable about the sport. However, the author does state early on that there is a link to the rules of the sport in the appendix and even though I’ve never watched a full game I was able to understand the analogies quite easily.

I rate Life Really is Like Football 4 out of 4 stars. Once again, I highly recommend this book to everyone.

Life Really Is Like Football
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

A self-help book about American football that have rules that you can apply in other areas of life. It seems interesting and enlightening. Nice review. Thanks.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm so not a football (or a sports fan). Plus, I'm not really that into self-help books unless it's something truly magical. So, all in all, I don't think this would be the book for me. Still, I'm glad you were able to appreciate it!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Football is an interesting metaphor to base a self-help book around! It's not the kind of genre I'd consider reading, as I prefer fiction, but I think the novelty of that core theme alone distinguishes this book pretty effectively.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

How to play well in the game of life. I would've been more enthusiastic if the related game was basketball, soccer or baseball. But football? Not my thing, at all! Anyways, I'm glad you found some enjoyment and usefulness in this book. I think it's positive the author did not write advice as if he knew the situation of every reader but encourages you to analyze your own situation. Thanks for the review!
naicme32
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naicme32.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Part II by B. Truly

Post by naicme32 »

I learnt that, i need to improve my productivity and skill daily to be able to stand out in my business.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

naicme32 wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 15:35 I learnt that, i need to improve my productivity and skill daily to be able to stand out in my business.
Awesome. Glad you learned something. Hope you keep at it and that your business does well.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Refreshing approach on how to tackle life. Learn the rules of the game. I will definitely read this book for the future.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Well, I've often heard life compared to football and other sports, but it's quite something to extend that out over a whole book. American Football is a closed book to me - I think maybe I'll leave it that way, but I enjoyed your review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”