Official Review: The Book of 7 by J. R. Wexler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Official Review: The Book of 7 by J. R. Wexler

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Book of 7" by J. R. Wexler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From a spiritual viewpoint, have you ever wondered why there are gays, bisexuals or transgenders? Have you ever thought why there are gifted individuals? Perhaps at some point, you wondered why phobias exist. I’m sure you noticed that there are some people you only met once but are instantly attracted to them. These are only some of the questions raised in J.R. Wexler’s The Book of 7.

This 100-page book tells us a story that happened days before the solar eclipse of August 2017. Seven teenagers from different walks of life received an invitation to witness the solar eclipse in billionaire Gerald O’Donald’s mansion in America. Their group includes a gay Muslim, a white supremacist, a poor Ethiopian girl, brainy American, an optimistic Argentine, a chubby Jewish, and a devout Buddhist. Together, they learn to overcome their differences. Together, they discover a way to make to make the world more peaceful.

While the genre is nonfiction, I could not help but admire Wexler’s style of writing. I expected slow parts due to narration but I never encountered any slow parts. Instead, there was a steady flow of the story throughout the book. I never felt bored. It also amazed me how the teenagers’ adventure helped them with their personal growth. Although there were seven them, I was not overwhelmed by their numbers. I felt that their differences only helped bring out the questions raised in the book. The group did have a mediator in the form of Peter, Mr. O’Donald’s head butler. Whenever someone in the group raises a question, Peter helps them understand by inputting his insights as well as spiritual learning. Peter often supported his answers by sighting scriptures, practices or stories from different religious teachings. I found myself drawn into their conversations, pausing only to absorb their arguments.

When I first chose to review the book, I was curious why the title was made that way. While reading, a lot of seven’s came up: seven teenagers, seven different lives, seven life cycles, etc. From my light research, I learned that the number 7 is usually associated with faith, spirituality, and spiritual development. Even in the Bible, the number 7 came up many times. I was glad that the book had an appropriate and meaningful title.

The book certainly left an impression on me. I realized that I received many answers in my ever-growing list of questions about life. I could positively say that this book could change a person’s life as long as the reader is open to the ideas presented. Most of the discussions in the book made me think, “When you put it that way, it makes a lot of sense.” There is no doubt in my mind that The Book of 7 by J.R. Wexler deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Although I noticed some minor errors, it was not enough to deduct a point. I was meticulous, so I noticed the errors. However, they can be easily overlooked. The Book of 7 would be a good match for readers who enjoy spiritual and self-help books. I strongly recommend for readers to keep an open mind while reading it.

The Book of 7
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ellieonline03's review? Post a comment saying so!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Interesting subject matter. I think many people will be eager to dismiss this book based on their personal belief systems; I'm assuming that's why you suggest reading with an open mind. Undoubtedly, what the world needs more of is love, peace, unity, and understanding. I would definitely read this book. Thank you for your review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, it does sound kind of interesting. I'm intrigued by what the author thinks, but I don't really subscribe to his theories. I think I'm going to pass on this one, but I'm glad that you enjoyed it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

ellieonline03 wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 04:04 While the genre is nonfiction, I could not help but admire Wexler’s style of writing.
That's such an interesting comment as I suppose we do now mostly look to fiction for great writing - but, of course, some of the most famous stylists of the past wrote non-fiction. I appreciated your review, even though the book sounds like something I might read if I found it in a library, but not one I'd go looking for.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I am on the fence if I would consider reading this book. I know I won't agree with the author's point of view on some things. However, I am curious as to how and why these particular seven were chosen.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I can't say I consider myself much of a spiritualist, so I'll probably give this book a pass. The viewpoints expressed in the book sound like they have a lot to teach people, though.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

No doubt there was diversity in that group of seven teenagers from different parts of the world. I've read number seven in the Holy Scriptures represents whole. Good thing the book doesn't have a slow pace. Thanks for sharing your insights about this book.
Jowy2018
Currently Reading: Demon Freaks
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Jowy2018 »

Unique and interested story line about seven teenagers, seven different life, seven life cycle which matched the title " the book of 7". However, this book is suitable for open minded reader. And yes, of course some people are sensitive about religion. But for me this book such interesting to read.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”