Official Review: Power Over Death by Rebecca M. Brown

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Official Review: Power Over Death by Rebecca M. Brown

Post by BookishCreature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Power Over Death" by Rebecca M. Brown.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rebecca Brown’s Power Over Death is a short book detailing her incredible near-death experience and the faith that helped her through it. She uses passages from the Bible and her own brush with death during the birth of her son to inspire faith in others.

The synopsis for this book touts it as “a reading experience of a lifetime,” and I’m fairly sure that I’ll never read another book like this in my lifetime. It was strange, unfocused, and unbelievable, and I have no idea what to make of it. I rate it 1 out of 4 stars.

Let’s start with the writing. There were misspellings and grammar errors on just about all of its 62 pages. On the very first page, Brown writes “Multiply Scleroses” instead of “multiple sclerosis.” It’s obvious that the book has not been professionally edited – I’m not sure it was even proofread by the author herself. After all, there’s really no excuse for using ‘Hugh’ instead of ‘huge’ in a published work.

The writing, however, is the least of this book’s problems. Rebecca Brown asserts that the story she shares is “a true real life experience.” She goes on to say that her story “is not fiction or make believe.” This is ludicrously, undeniably, and unconscionably false. Her story involves a pregnancy that results in her dying on the hospital bed and having her soul brought back to her body by Jesus Christ in time to give birth to not only her son, but also – and this is a direct quote – “three buckets” of fish.

Rebecca Brown wants her readers to believe that she gave birth to a human child and a bunch of fish. In her words, “They were picking up fishes that came out of me as if a fisherman had pulled in a net and dumped it on shore. I was so afraid, and ashamed, I was down-right embarrassed.” Conveniently, the records of her pregnancy were “…sealed, but later destroyed.” I’m on board for near-death experiences. I’m on board for receiving divine assistance to return to the land of the living. I’m not on board for fish.

I’m at a loss. I refuse to speculate about any aspect of the author herself – in addition to being rude and in poor taste, it’s quite simply not my job as a reviewer. As such, I can do nothing but take her book at face value.

So, what is its face value? It’s a “true real life experience” that is unequivocally not a true real-life experience. It’s an unfocused exhortation to allow God and Jesus to heal you of all of your sickness. It’s a piece of writing that has been written poorly. I don’t need to analyze the message or intent of Power Over Death to confidently say that I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. I rate it 1 out of 4 stars – it’s unforgettable, all right, but probably not in the way the author intended.

Power Over Death
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like BookishCreature's review? Post a comment saying so!
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Oh my! I just can't stand books that are so poorly written in terms of grammar, not to mention just badly written; the one I'm reading now has a LOT of errors - I found the first 9 on the first page! - so my heart goes out to you. As for the bucket of fish, perhaps she was hallucinating and really believes that? Though some say that all Near-Death Experiences are dreams/hallucinations anyone. In any event, I'm sorry you had to go through that; thanks for the warning!
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Yikes - I can't believe this actually got published! It sort of reminds me of a former friend who claimed her aunt gave birth to multiple snakes. I'm so sorry you had to read this!
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

Yeah, this one definitely left me scratching my head. An interesting read for sure. :P
Elvis1+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Elvis1+ »

Oh my! Please why are there so much error in this book? Please
The is an interesting one but the grammar is the problem.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Great review, I've read another book by this lady and it was out of this world. I think it was Vessel of Honor or something. I think she is very spiritual and sees more than what regular people see. Christians refer to this as the gift of discernment. Do not judge.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Anyone who has read Jacqui Pretty's Book Blueprint, would have serious issues with a book that is not properly structured and full of grammatical errors.
I have always heard of the author and her writing prowess on Spiritual matters. However, this is not an excuse for mediocre output. She needs proper advice on this.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Omg, this is one of the most outrageous books I've read a review for. Three buckets of fish....
Well at least the cover is pretty and it was less than 70 pages :)
Excellent review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”