Official Review: Creating a Season to Remember

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: Creating a Season to Remember

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Creating a Season to Remember" by Jack Perconte.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Creating a Season to Remember, by Jack Perconte, is a manual consisting of the dos and don'ts for youth sports coaches to enable them function effectively and thereby, making kids better athletes. Step by step, Jack shares his experiences and expertise in youth games. Interestingly, he is a former major league player and has taught baseball and softball for twenty-eight years. The purpose of this narrative is to equip and encourage coaches to be ahead of the game. In a clear manner, Jack enumerated the ways that managers, players, and parents can be motivated and inspired to keep youth sports alive.

Fascinatingly, this motivational nonfiction is written in a textbookish style, but it's easy to read and engaging. In 312 pages, Coach Jack Perconte explains the importance of athletics and managers in the lives of kids. In detail, he describes the methods that can be used to handle players, parents, and umpires efficaciously. He provides astonishing reasons why youth should play and continue to be involved in athletic activities. For beginners, youth sports or youth athletics can be defined as sports events that involve children or adolescents as the players. These events include soccer, baseball, volleyball, handball, softball and so on.

Impressively, this book is well written and full of useful ideas. It is worthy of note that the lessons available in this narration are not for youth athletics participants alone but also for those engaged in college and professional sports. Besides, the instructions offered can be applied in other areas of life. Though I'm not a sports fan, they have motivated me to do better in my jobs. After providing an elaborate table of contents to guide readers in finding specific sections, Jack begins each chapter with an inspirational quote and lessons from a renowned coach.

The citations are eye opening, and they have made a lasting impression on me. "Passion can diminish quickly if you give too much thought to the downbeat talk." I extracted these words of wisdom from the text, and they have affected me positively. Intended primarily for managers, this manual is not one to be dumped somewhere after you finish reading. At all times, it should be kept close for reference. If you're not into sports, this read is not for you. It may bore you. Really, I like the way the author introduces his points with different bullets. This feature makes the narration easy to understand. Certainly, the text was professionally edited because I didn't see any typos or grammatical errors.

In conclusion, if utilized, the principles provided in this guidebook are sufficient to build up coaches. Since the book is educational, informative, and impeccable, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it for all sports instructors, players, parents who have kids that are involved in athletics, and sports enthusiasts.

Creating a Season to Remember
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Wright's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you were able to extract words of wisdom from this motivational read. I have nothing to do with coaching any type of sports, so I'll probably bypass this one. However, it sounds very inspirational.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Certainly not a book that would do me much good, but I'm very happy to see people acknowledge that there's a right and a wrong way to teach kids in sports. Too often, the measure of success is considered to be how many games they win, when in reality, there's so much more to it than that!
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

ViziVoir wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 00:57 Certainly not a book that would do me much good, but I'm very happy to see people acknowledge that there's a right and a wrong way to teach kids in sports. Too often, the measure of success is considered to be how many games they win, when in reality, there's so much more to it than that!
Yes, you're right. Thanks for your comment.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I’m curious about the astonishing reasons why youth should play and continue on in sports. I don’t disagree, I just wonder if there are ideas that I’ve missed. I’m so glad that a book like this exists. Coaches, parents, and players could all benefit from the wisdom it has to offer. Thanks for this review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”