Official Review: Coached to Greatness by John M. Hawkins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: Coached to Greatness by John M. Hawkins

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Coached to Greatness" by John M. Hawkins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Coached to Greatness, by John M. Hawkins, presents strategies to help you reach your goals. The book is not meant to replace a coach, but it will help you to be aware of different coaching methods and strategies. Putting you in a position to find what works best for you.

We are all busy. At first, this constant activity can give you a sense of purpose, you might even feel like you are achieving something. The question is though, are you? Time passes, and you realise that you are not moving forward. You are stuck. Disillusioned, you lose your motivation. Why did your efforts not bear the desired results? Coached to Greatness will help you to assess your current position and grow forward from that. As mentioned before, it explores strategies that will help you to set goals, gain motivation, and find ways to grow.

If you are looking for a feel-good book that will give you an instant burst of motivation, then this book is not for you. This book provides tools that require work on your part. I feel that this is a more realistic approach to gaining lasting change.

This book gave me insight into the difference between tactical activities and strategic activities. I learned the importance of prioritizing activities that align with my vision. I loved that the author provided solid evidence that we do have enough time to reach our goals. We just need to learn how to prioritize and balance our daily activities. The book also explores how we can tune the mind, body, and soul to help us remain focused as we put time and energy into these activities.

I was introduced to the concept of symbolism. That is, finding an object that will remind you about your vision and goals, fuelling you as you start to lose momentum. The author explains how his pen and leather-bound book serve as his personal symbols. I thought this was a fantastic idea. Staying motivated is difficult, even when you have committed to a goal. This is an idea I plan to implement.

If you are looking to grow, then it is imperative that you take time to reflect, focus, and write down your thoughts daily. This will enable you to track your progress and notice areas that need some readjusting. The author makes this process easier by providing questions at the end of each chapter, helping you reflect on how you can apply the strategies presented.

The only issue I had with the book was the way that is structured. Each chapter contains quite a number of subheadings. Although each subheading contributed to development of the theme in each chapter, it affected the flow of ideas. I assume the author was aiming at presenting ideas in a concise, simple manner.

Despite the choppy feel, this book is a great guide. I could go on and on listing all the practical techniques I learnt, but I won't. I will let you work on some personal growth of your own. I encourage you to read this book. Learn how to make good decisions, how to reach a focused state, and so much more. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Coached to Greatness
View: on Bookshelves

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

From personal experience, I know that keeping your motivation up is not an easy task even if you really know what you want. I am glad that the motivational approach in this book is realistic and involves hard work and the use of a number of specific strategies in order to succeed. I would be interested in at least scanning some of them. They may be quite useful. Thank you for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I do agree that giving tools that require work is the most realistic way to achieve any sort of change. I don't think I'm going to read this book at the moment, but I do appreciate your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 08:22 If you are looking to grow, then it is imperative that you take time to reflect, focus, and write down your thoughts daily.
I know journaling is promoted for many types of growth and healing. Your review has reminded me that this is something I should consider in my life. Thank you!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Ha! Great for HR people. Coaching is a a certain part of HRM Human Resource Management and for those who study it. Thank you for sharing! I think it will benefit a lot in the industrial world.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:

NL Hartje wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 16:14
Kelebogile Mbangi wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 08:22 If you are looking to grow, then it is imperative that you take time to reflect, focus, and write down your thoughts daily.
I know journaling is promoted for many types of growth and healing. Your review has reminded me that this is something I should consider in my life. Thank you!
Oh I'm glad! :)
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
Gerry_9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-9.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Gerry_9 »

"The only issue I had with the book was the way that is structured. Each chapter contains quite a number of subheadings. Although each subheading contributed to development of the theme in each chapter, it affected the flow of ideas."
I also encountered the same with How did you know that you were Naked.
Kiboko1
Currently Reading: To Kill a Mockingbird
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Kiboko1 »

if a book is adding value to my personal life, Definitely i will take a lookmon it.
Jamal03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jamal03 »

Although the structure of the chapters and division of this book makes it look like it's not properly paged and chaptered, but it's a motivation to my personal life. The book contains opinions that you can put into reality and also let me know that for you to grow, you must be broght up. The book is worth dedicating your time to read!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

What a lovely review! Truth be told, I'm a little hung-up on the title. The term "greatness" is so subjective. I believe greatness is as simple as living a modest lifestyle and doesn't have to be anything grandiose or world-changing. I'm not opposed to a self-help read every now and again, but typically find them redundant and preachy.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I think people commit themselves to doing things that don't make them happy, and it's hard to see those patterns so you can break them. It seems like this book could be helpful for helping people break out of those habits.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:

SABRADLEY wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 16:31 What a lovely review! Truth be told, I'm a little hung-up on the title. The term "greatness" is so subjective. I believe greatness is as simple as living a modest lifestyle and doesn't have to be anything grandiose or world-changing. I'm not opposed to a self-help read every now and again, but typically find them redundant and preachy.
What I loved about this book is that it helps each individual reader to define their own vision of greatness in alignment with their core values. So it really isn't preachy at all.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A self-help book that provides realistic strategies that help one to unlock his potential sounds inspiring. Providing tools that require work sounds practical, and it should work better than other approaches. That it gives insight on tactical activities and strategic activities is another plus. I am glad that you enjoyed the book despite the disjointed structure of the book. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I think we have all been stuck in our lives at one time or another. I think this book could be quite valuable to those wanting to be unstuck. I like that the author provides tools and steps to help the reader work towards his or her goal. I also liked that the author recommends writing as a way to keep things in perspective.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

A self-help book that adopts a stepwise approach to unleash one's internal greatness is quite intriguing. Thank you for the thorough review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”