Official Review: The Transformation of a Lost Soul

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: The Transformation of a Lost Soul

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Transformation of a Lost Soul" by Forrest Beverly.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Forrest Beverly has led a rich and an inspirational life, which he is sharing with us in his book The Transformation of a Lost Soul. Over the years, he has been a professional musician, an FBI agent with the DEA, a business owner, and a blue-collar worker as well. He has met numerous influential people who taught him valuable life lessons. They were his guides when his parents (especially his dad) would not take on that role.

In the book, Forrest describes his life as a black person who had to face racism all his life, but who would not let circumstances define him. Some of the anecdotes he shared would make me laugh out loud while others would make me shed a tear. The author grew up during a time when racism was prevalent and accepted as a way of life in America. He also grew up with a distant (albeit wise and loving) mother and an extremely abusive father. He would not miss any opportunity to beat his children for anything that went wrong at home.

His father would not only beat him to a pulp but he would also make sure the children never had enough food to eat. One story Forrest shared made my heart ache with sorrow. When his mother once brought a big bag of food home, Forrest cried out in joy. For once, they could finally fill their ever-aching stomachs. When his father noticed Forrest’s behavior, his mother said he was just happy that there was enough food in the fridge. Hearing this, his father opened the fridge and peed all over that food, much of which his mother had to throw away.

When Forrest couldn’t take it any longer and could not bear his dad hit his younger siblings, one night he decided to slit his father’s throat while the man was drunk and asleep. Luckily, his mother woke up just in time to save him and the family from a horrible future. At least, after that, his father stopped beating him and drinking, although he never stopped hating him and telling him so.

Many people who grew up in desperate conditions would turn out to become evil people. At least, that’s what they say when they’re finally incarcerated for their despicable crimes. They blame their evil deeds on what they had to endure as children. Yet, Forrest Beverly is an example of someone who has suffered during his childhood more than most average people go through their entire lives, and he still grew up to become one of the most outstanding persons one would ever want to meet. He is a true role model for anyone who needs one.

The book spoke to me on a personal level. It touched my soul in a way that not many other biographies managed to do. The author felt that God constantly let him down, so much that he stopped believing in God altogether. It was rather late in his life when he realized that he was never really alone, and someone was constantly watching over him. The book is quite spiritual in nature.

The writing style was clear and easy to read. At times, I felt like the author was talking to me directly, face to face. The book is full of anecdotes, of small stories that are there to each the reader important life lessons. The pace is relatively fast, and it doesn’t drag at all.

There are, however, two issues that I have to mention. First, I would have really liked to learn more about the author’s wife and his children. They only got some two lines in the entire book. The first time he mentioned his wife, they were already married, and to be sure I didn’t overlook the paragraphs about their wedding or the birth of their children, I went back several chapters looking for the relevant parts. Sadly, there was nothing about these at all. It is like everyone else was influential in his life but his own family.

Second, while the author does mention at the beginning of the book that he is no writer, the large number of grammatical and punctuation errors gave me pause. He wrote that a few people (whom he mentioned by name) helped proofread the manuscript, however, Beta readers are not professional proofreaders or editors, and this book is in serious need of proper editing and revising. Just some of the issues I came across while reading: wrong punctuation, sentence fragments, missing words, comma splices, repeatedly using “who” instead of “whom,” no commas between independent clauses, etc.

That’s why I rate The Transformation of a Lost Soul 3 out of 4 stars. I do recommend it to anyone who loves autobiographies of individuals with interesting stories to tell and to people who are on the verge of spiritual transformation and just need a gentle push.

The Transformation of a Lost Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

There is so much ways in looking at the situation which lead the main protagonist try to slit his fathers throat, out of anger for been pressured. I don't blame him for his behaviour because if anyone who had to go through that would either slit his throat or run away from home. The protagonist may not run because he loves his siblings and mum so he thought why not take dad out of the equation. I feel him! Definitely worth reading this book. Thank you for sharing!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This sounds really fascinating, but what a pity about the proofreading issues! I wonder why he said so little about his marriage, but perhaps his wife asked him to respect her privacy.
EstherM 0201
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estherm-0201.html
Latest Review: Barbra Streisand: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by EstherM 0201 »

This book speaks to me especially when he stopped believing in God but at the end he realises that there was someone looking after him. Thank you for sharing your review. You make me want to read the book! Keep up the great work! Cheers
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I can't even imagine a father who would be so cruel as to simply deny his children food. I'm glad the author was able to overcome all that he suffered and make a life for himself. It's too bad about the errors. It sounds as if this could use a professional editor. Nonetheless, it's got a really good message. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

Wow! What a heartfelt book... thank you for sharing your thoughts, I can imagine this was emotionally difficult to read. I agree with Sahani in the comments about, he could have reacted in so many different ways for so many different reasons.

When I read this, it reminded me of a different book and I had to go check the author - different guy and I don't recall the beatings as severely as described here but if you liked this, I'd recommend "Same Kind of Different As Me", similar journey through trials and tribulations to a functioning, contributing member of society.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

It's so disheartening to be reminded of the abuse still existing in many of our nation's homes. Kudos to the author for pulling away. Thanks for the review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
toribyers13
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toribyers13.html
Latest Review: What the River Wants by Arthur Byrd

Post by toribyers13 »

Wow, this was an incredible review of what sounds like a very moving book! I love that the author doesn't continue the abuse in his own household, that speaks of a very strong character.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

What a life this man has led! It is interesting that after such a troubled childhood he didn't make an effort to show how he has changed that lifestyle with his own children. I appreciate your honesty and engaging review!
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

It's a shame when autobiographical writers don't focus on the people who shaped them as individuals. I also think the subject matter is just too dark for me to really enjoy, even if the overall message was positive.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

It sounds like this would be a very difficult account to read with the extreme abuse that the author had to endure. Perhaps he needed to get those experiences down on paper to keep them from tormenting him further. And perhaps he wanted to keep his wife and children separate from these painful memories. I really enjoyed your review, especially this statement:
The book spoke to me on a personal level. It touched my soul in a way that not many other biographies managed to do. The author felt that God constantly let him down, so much that he stopped believing in God altogether. It was rather late in his life when he realized that he was never really alone, and someone was constantly watching over him. The book is quite spiritual in nature.
I'm so glad there is a positive outcome from such a dark beginning. Thanks for this well-crafted review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”