Official Review: Secrets of My Vegan Kitchen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Official Review: Secrets of My Vegan Kitchen

Post by Natalie Charlene »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Secrets of My Vegan Kitchen" by Nara Schuler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Secrets of my Vegan Kitchen: A Journey into Reversing My Diabetes without Medication by Nara Schuler is an eye-opening book about the benefits of a plant-based, whole foods lifestyle. The first third of the book follows Schuler’s story from her early eating habits, into her sickness, and, finally, her discovery of a new way of living that changed the course of her life, saving her from a lifetime of medication and pain. After describing her journey, Schuler shares some of her favorite recipes in hopes of helping anyone who might want to explore this lifestyle, showing them how to make mouth-watering and, most importantly, healthy dishes.

About five years ago, I made the transition to a vegan lifestyle, myself. Though I made the change for ethical reasons, I also do my best to eat as healthfully and naturally as I can. As someone who has been through the difficult lifestyle changes Schuler discusses, I can’t stress enough how spot-on Secrets of my Vegan Kitchen is. A whole foods, plant-based diet can have nearly magical effects on the body, from helping you lose weight and feel energized, to assisting in the battle of deadly diseases.

At first glance, Secrets of my Vegan Kitchen appears clean and well-structured. It is broken up into organized chapters that provide a wealth of information on both Schuler’s personal life and the reasons to go vegan. The personal struggles she speaks of makes her story relatable, and, instead of preaching and forcing, she simply shares the information that has changed her life, hoping to help people who may be struggling with similar issues. The recipes she shares are simple, healthy, and easy to follow. A few of the recipes include pictures, and, while they are beautifully crafted, they are in black and white, which, unfortunately, deadens their impact.

I rate Secrets of my Vegan Kitchen 4 out of 4 stars. Aside from a handful of grammatical issues, the book is clean and professional. The information on Nara Schuler’s life, eating habits, and journey is intriguing, and once I started, I couldn’t put the book down. I am excited to work my way through many of the delicious sounding recipes she has shared.

This is a book I would recommend to anyone and everyone. It is never too early nor too late to make a lifestyle change that will impact your health for the better. Switching to a vegan, whole foods diet can seem daunting, but Schuler offers her story, words of encouragement, and fantastic recipes, making the process less intimidating. Secrets of my Vegan Kitchen is sure to change the lives of many people.

Secrets of My Vegan Kitchen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Natalie Charlene's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Hmm! Vegan transformation is not new. My father became a vegetarian after he got to know he has kidney issues. Its been 10 years and he is still on maintenance. I too became a vegetarian in 2012 and it is great! More importantly I discovered the love of cooking when I became independent in my own cooking ways. Thanks for sharing this book! Since I'm a vegan I think I will check this out.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a great book. I, myself, could almost be a vegetarian as I don't really even enjoy the taste of meat that much. But it's hard with a busy schedule to try and find time to cook the way I should. Thanks for introducing us to a great book!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
hurlarmidey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hurlarmidey »

It will be a greatvbook because since my grandmother as diebetics, I've been longing for way to control her diet, I will like to try all d recipe inside.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

It would be interesting to read her story. I am a fan of vegetables and wouldn't mind the recipes. Too bad the recipes are not color. That would add to the appeal.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

As someone who developed a glucose intolerance a few years ago. This book seems to follow many of the steps I took to repair my glucose levels back then. I might add this to my list in case I ever need it again. Thanks
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

This book is right up my alley. I have been a vegetarian for several years and often toy with the idea of becoming vegan. I know people that swear by a plant-based, all-natural diet as a means to delay or reverse various illnesses. It can also be a tricky line to walk-to not push or preach a vegan lifestyle-but it sounds like the author found a great balance. Thank you for the informative review.
polar_palm_tree
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Tofu From Scratch
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-polar-palm-tree.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by polar_palm_tree »

Thanks for writing such a great review. I made the move ten months ago for health reasons. The transition was easy for me, but not for my family and friends. I am from rural Alaska where subsistence is the heart and soul of everything. Fishing and hunting are threaded through our daily lives. My health made an immediate turn for the better, which is what I focus on when others try to bully me into eating my past favorites. I can't wait to read this book. Perhaps she will have some ideas. I also look forward to sampling some of her recipes.
pool
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pool »

Yes....since it is basically concerning health.. I must recommend it too.
I want to be healthy
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

Honestly I've never considered switching to a vegan lifestyle, but your review at the very least makes me want to hear what this lady has to say. As a recent college grad, I'm woefully aware of how much energy I was missing when I ate any and all quick junk food instead of taking time to prepare plant-based foods. Thank you for the thorough review!
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

I tried going without meat, eating plant based proteins instead and all I experienced was constant munchies, lack of satiety, weight gain (from never feeling really nourished) and noticeable loss of muscle strength starting after about 7-8 days. This kind of diet will not work for all body types and should be avoided by athletes.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I probably couldn't make the switch to an all-vegan diet myself, but I can appreciate the value in choosing to decrease the amount of meat one consumes for a variety of reasons (primarily environmental). Even for non-vegans, books like this could help improve their overall diet.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

Thanks for helping me to find this book. I am also trying to eat more plant based foods and this could help.
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

I'm glad this is a good book - I really admire vegans (and vegetarians!) and feel like I should exercise my willpower to alter my diet in this direction. I have tried a few vegan dishes with varying success, and I think a proper cookbook would help. I feel like it shouldn't be as hard as I think it is!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I’m glad to hear that the author shares her own personal journey of health and dietary choices. It would be the personal story that would persuade me to try some of the recipes. Too bad the photos aren’t in color. I feel sure that would make it so much more appealing! Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”