Official Review: Determination by Keith Buff

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Determination by Keith Buff

Post by 1ditzyrn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Determination" by Keith Buff.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Determination: Surviving a Devastating Brain Trauma by Keith Buff is a nonfiction novel that tells of the struggles the author faced after suffering a life-threatening injury. Buff uses his novel to tell of the daily challenges he faced after this event and how, since then, his whole approach to life has been changed. It is an inspirational novel that chronicles the triumph of the human spirit.

At thirty-six years of age, Keith was living an idyllic life. A hard-working family man, he operated several successful business ventures and was an avid golfer. Gifted in sports from an early age, he enjoyed his time on the golf course with his friends. One fateful day, life as he knew it changed. Following a game of golf, he returned to the locker room at the country club with his friends. While in the locker room, he experienced a sudden, very severe headache that caused him to vomit and pass out. His friend called 911 and he was rushed to the hospital.

Upon reaching the hospital, it was determined that Buff had suffered from a brain hemorrhage related to an arteriovenous malformation. This is a condition where there is a malformation of the blood vessels in the brain, which then rupture and cause bleeding in the brain. Buff’s hemorrhage occurred in his cerebellum and brain stem, causing severe damage to several different body systems. He would need to learn to walk again, talk again, control his balance, even eat and drink again. Despite his doctors saying that he may not ever learn to do some of these things, he chose to apply himself to the best of his ability and was determined to prove them wrong. This book tells of how he did just that. It also tells of his struggles and how this event affected him and his family. Interweaving stories and anecdotes from his childhood, Buff gives a complete picture of how his life was before the incident and how it has changed since.

I have several thoughts about this novel. Buff was a gifted athlete, businessman, and family man prior to the hemorrhage and subsequent brain damage. After the event, he was an invalid unable to walk, talk, eat, or dress himself. The drastic contrast between those two would test most people’s motivation and dedication. While Buff admits that there were low times, he chose not to focus on those and instead focus on the positives and moving forward. I think this is a wonderful attitude that people should use in everyday life. One of my favorite lines of the book is when Buff says “…appreciate everything you have”. He talks about how his priorities in life have changed, and how he no longer measures success by financial status but rather how people treat each other and what they accomplish personally in their lives.

Reading this book was not so much like reading a book, but an extended motivational speech. It felt as if you were sitting in a room with Keith, listening as he told you his life story. As does happen when one is relaying their life story, sometimes the story jumped back and forth between different times in Buff’s life without any clear correlation between the memories. While it was interesting and inspiring to read, this did make it a little difficult to follow in a few areas. There were also several spelling and punctuation errors throughout the book. Because of the flow issues and spelling errors, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a story of the power of faith and the perseverance of the human spirit.

Determination
View: on Bookshelves

Like 1ditzyrn's review? Post a comment saying so!
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Nice review. Interesting, I've just reviewed a similar book about an author going through a horrible accident and then spending the rest of her time trying to recover, followed by her lessons about living life to the fullest to the rest of us. Pity about the grammatical errors, though.
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I don't usually read motivational books, but I know we can all use to be more humble and appreciate what we have. Thank you for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I just recently read another book about someone who survived a traumatic brain injury. It is amazing how much the brain can heal itself, but it's also interesting how much these people have to deal with on a daily basis. Some things that are hard for them are things that you wouldn't even think about!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
1ditzyrn

Post by 1ditzyrn »

kislany wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 01:08 Nice review. Interesting, I've just reviewed a similar book about an author going through a horrible accident and then spending the rest of her time trying to recover, followed by her lessons about living life to the fullest to the rest of us. Pity about the grammatical errors, though.
It was definitely an inspirational book. Thanks for the reply!
1ditzyrn

Post by 1ditzyrn »

kandscreeley wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 08:47 I just recently read another book about someone who survived a traumatic brain injury. It is amazing how much the brain can heal itself, but it's also interesting how much these people have to deal with on a daily basis. Some things that are hard for them are things that you wouldn't even think about!
You are exactly right! At one point the author tells how difficult it is to understand him due to his struggles with speech after the injury. How frustrating it must be to not be able to communicate with others...I really felt for him. Thanks for your reply!
1ditzyrn

Post by 1ditzyrn »

cristinaro wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 03:47 I don't usually read motivational books, but I know we can all use to be more humble and appreciate what we have. Thank you for your review!
I, too, am not usually a fan of motivational books as I prefer to read fantasy and science fiction. But I must say that this was a very easy, enjoyable read. It was motivational without coming across as "preachy". Thanks for the reply!
Kiboko1
Currently Reading: To Kill a Mockingbird
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Kiboko1 »

Very soon i will read this book because i know it's very useful.
Ewe221
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ewe221 »

i actually enjoyed the book,it really motivate someone and not to give up in whatever good things you are doing
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Very descriptive review! What's really great about author's writing about their life story is that each one has their own unique experience and that is not something others can get, such as this one. Definitely worth looking at. Thank you for sharing!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

kandscreeley wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 08:47 I just recently read another book about someone who survived a traumatic brain injury.
I was going to note that we had just recently viewed a similar book!

A dear friend of mine suffered a brain hemorrhage in the past month and this book seems like it may offer insight for me to help empathize. Thanks for this review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
1ditzyrn

Post by 1ditzyrn »

Kiboko1 wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 11:55 Very soon i will read this book because i know it's very useful.
I hope you enjoy it. It is inspirational and gives insight into one person's struggle to overcome adversity. I think the positive message is something we can all use in our daily lives.
1ditzyrn

Post by 1ditzyrn »

Ewe221 wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 19:54 i actually enjoyed the book,it really motivate someone and not to give up in whatever good things you are doing
I agree that it is motivating in that it reminds us to stay positive and try our best to be good to each other. Thank you for the reply!
1ditzyrn

Post by 1ditzyrn »

NL Hartje wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 16:28
kandscreeley wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 08:47 I just recently read another book about someone who survived a traumatic brain injury.
I was going to note that we had just recently viewed a similar book!

A dear friend of mine suffered a brain hemorrhage in the past month and this book seems like it may offer insight for me to help empathize. Thanks for this review!
It does offer a lot of insight into the various struggles he faced during his recovery, and even still today. I think it would be helpful to read, as he brought up everyday things that I would not even think about as having the potential to be difficult or frustrating. I hope that your friend experiences a similar recovery!
elemadu11
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by elemadu11 »

Determination by Keith buff, it's a nice and a wonderful book I really love motivational books.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”