Official Review: Heartstrong, Overcome Obstacles and Live...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: Heartstrong, Overcome Obstacles and Live...

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Heartstrong, Overcome Obstacles and Live Life to the Fullest" by Donna Valentino.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Heartstrong, Overcome Obstacles and Live Life to the Fullest, Donna Valentino recounts her experiences and the hardships she had endured after a serious accident left her with a traumatic brain injury.

Donna and her boyfriend were spending a romantic weekend getaway at a Texas resort. During an ATV ride born out of a challenge, they encountered several cattle guards on the road, none of which posed any problems until Donna came across an almost invisible one that toppled her, causing her severe injuries. After being transported to the hospital, she was put in a coma, following which she underwent numerous surgeries to save her life.

Once she woke up from her coma and got a sense of what was going on, Donna realized that life would never be the same for her. Her injuries were massive. She could not move her left arm or hand, she could no longer think critically, and she even lost the knowledge of how to eat with the utensils.

In the book, the focus on her long and arduous road to recovery alternates with glimpses into her childhood and young adulthood. She details her difficult life with her parents. Her mother was a religious zealot, so Donna had no freedom. She also talks about her life with her husband, her subsequent divorce from him, and her unsuccessful attempts to reconcile with her mother.

Donna’s story of recovery is extremely touching, and it moved me more than I can say, since my dad suffered a stroke two years ago, thus many things the author described were painfully familiar. Our family has been through many of the difficulties she narrated in the book.

It warmed my heart that she found the inner strength to not only survive but also thrive despite all the obstacles put in front of her. Many people would simply give up. Yet, even though the old life was pretty much over for Donna, she subsequently managed to write two memoirs about her traumatic experiences, and, as a motivational speaker, she is now dedicating her time helping others cope with traumatic brain injuries.

At 126 pages, the book is very short. It is also properly edited. I only found two small punctuation errors, which is quite refreshing. The language used is clear and conveys the author’s message fully. There are no overly emotional words within the text; there are just enough to show the depth of the author’s strength and positivity in the face of adversity.

The one part I couldn’t relate to at all was the ending, which included the last few chapters in the book. The author shifted from talking about her life experiences, struggles to heal, and emotional issues, to mostly focusing on God. As she detailed her reconnection with God, she changed the theme of the last few chapters completely. This took me by surprise since I had no hint of this anywhere in the book before. It was a slightly uncomfortable experience; there is a reason why I usually avoid reading religious-themed books.

Except for this last part, I found the story engaging. Thus, I give Heartstrong, Overcome Obstacles and Live Life to the Fullest 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone who is recovering from a serious illness or knows people with traumatic brain injuries and also to people who enjoy reading memoirs. If you are an atheist, a lapsed Catholic, or worshipping the traditional God is not in your faith system, you might feel a slight unease reading the last few chapters.

Heartstrong, Overcome Obstacles and Live Life to the Fullest
View: on Bookshelves

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

The religious ending would have definitely put me off, so thanks for the forewarning. I'm not sure why the author would go for such a drastic tone shift.
bakimono13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bakimono13.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by bakimono13 »

I am glad I have read your review. I got an idea that I can also make a summary of the book I have read and make it as an introduction to my review. I actually don't know how to make a first review to a book I have done reading. And thank you for the very good review you have done to that book :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This is like the fourth book I have either read or seen lately about a traumatic brain injury. I thought these things only came in threes, but apparently it's fours now. I definitely admire people that live with these types of injuries. It's just so difficult what they have to face every day. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for a very moving review - the book as a whole obviously spoke to you, even if the last few chapters were a bit of a disappointment. This sounds like something I might be interested in reading, as I am quite interested in other people's religious experience - as long as the whole book isn't preachy.
JJNP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnp.html
Latest Review: The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by JJNP »

Thanks for the review. I am a great fan of stories where challenges are faced and overcome, but I would also have been fazed by the switch to religion at the end.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”