Official Review: Thoughts for Young Men by J. C. Ryle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Thoughts for Young Men by J. C. Ryle

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Thoughts for Young Men" by J. C. Ryle.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm" (Proverbs 13:20). The words of J. C. Ryle in the book, Thoughts for Young Men are full of wisdom and whoever chooses to follow and walk by them is bound to become wise. They are inspiring, surprisingly practical and thought-provoking, simply put, they are life-changing.

J. C. Ryle starts the book with an appeal to young men not to fall prey to the pleasures of this world but to stand firm in their faith, courageous and undeterred in their pursuit for true holiness. In the first chapter, he gives his reasons for encouraging and urging young men to pursue Christ. In later chapters, he explains clearly the dangers that beset young men, giving them counsel and pivotal rules that will help in their walk of faith.

Even though J. C. Ryle’s message in Thoughts for Young Men was conveyed many years ago, it is refreshingly applicable to today’s generation. In fact, it is actually so well suited for young people today you would think it was written in our current times. The theme of the book was so well put together; I could not help but imagine hearing the words from Ryle himself. His warm, wise and fatherly personality radiates from the book’s pages; it is obvious that seeing young men grow and mature in Christ was important to him.

I found Ryle’s message to be also honest and candid. He avoids flattery at all costs and says it like it is. I liked his honesty and remarkable wisdom which he voiced in a very straight-forward way. He further backs his words with Biblical scriptures which adds to the depth of the message he conveys.

Another great aspect of the book Thoughts for Young Men were the questions following after each chapter. They helped me reflect on what was contained in every chapter and also aided in my application of the content in my everyday life. Additionally, I found them to be a great self-examination tool. The cover was also creative and attractive. Additionally, the book was well-edited and skillfully organized. On grammar, I identified only one grammatical error. Given all the great features of this book, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

It is, by all means, a must-read for all men who are after God’s own heart. The book contains words of life founded on Scriptures from the Bible. The reader will not read Thoughts for Young Men by J. C. Ryle and remain the same.

Thoughts for Young Men
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Once again, I love that there are questions for reflection here. It sounds like a worthy book. If I had boys, I would have them read it. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

“He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm" could not agree more! Regardless boys, this book has something for everyone. Very thought-provoking! Love to read it if I ever get a chance! Thank you for sharing this book and giving a great picture about it through your review.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

This is one book I think I should find, great review.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Because a lot of spiritual and inspirational books tend to be geared towards women, it's refreshing that this one speaks directly to men, especially young men, who often fall prey to worldly vices.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
lees
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lees »

Allow me give this scriptional writting a four out of four star becouse one,its irrasional for reconcilliation for not only young ones but worthy every living soul on earth,its holistic,directional,guinding,counciling and owesome.
Smokey-383
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smokey-383.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Smokey-383 »

Thanks for a wonderful review. While this is not a book I would have sought out, after reading your review I think I would like it as a gift for some of the young men in my family.
Damisparkles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damisparkles.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Damisparkles »

Yes, true. The meditation questions added especially after book chapters, makes motivational and life model books easily applicable to personal growth. Thanks for mentioning it in your review.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Having a son, this idea calls to me. Thank you for this review. I might tuck this one away to use in about five years. :shock2:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

This is so interesting! J. C. Ryle died over 100 years ago, yet his words still apply today. I would be very interested in adding this book to my collection!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I think it will be easier for young men to relate to this book (as opposed to done others in the same genre) since the material is crafted toward them specifically. Young men get inundated with bad influences from a very early and and hopefully this book would provide strength and courage to walk an upright path. Great review.
Isaac01

Post by Isaac01 »

J. C Ryle book 'thought for young men' is a must read for every male youth and I will be tempted to recommend it to female also because of the dept of wisdom indebted in it. Ryle's passion for holiness has make him an outstanding Christian author.
scottlapierre
Favorite Author: Scott LaPierre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 68944

Post by scottlapierre »

Thank you for this review. I'm glad to see people are still reading (and reviewing) J.C. Ryle's work(s). I appreciate your heart for writing to be founded on God's Word.
Tobidiamond

Post by Tobidiamond »

Great book...I would need to read this..great reviews. Ancient words to modern young men..ageless gems.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Thanks for the review. I think that this book is quite enlightening especially for men. If I had a brother, I would recommend it to him.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”