Official Review: Thoughts for Young Men by J. C. Ryle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: where is Heaven? by written by L M Henderson, illustrated by Joel Henderson

Official Review: Thoughts for Young Men by J. C. Ryle

Post by EmunahAn » 12 Mar 2018, 02:34

[Following is an official review of "Thoughts for Young Men" by J. C. Ryle.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm" (Proverbs 13:20). The words of J. C. Ryle in the book, Thoughts for Young Men are full of wisdom and whoever chooses to follow and walk by them is bound to become wise. They are inspiring, surprisingly practical and thought-provoking, simply put, they are life-changing.

J. C. Ryle starts the book with an appeal to young men not to fall prey to the pleasures of this world but to stand firm in their faith, courageous and undeterred in their pursuit for true holiness. In the first chapter, he gives his reasons for encouraging and urging young men to pursue Christ. In later chapters, he explains clearly the dangers that beset young men, giving them counsel and pivotal rules that will help in their walk of faith.

Even though J. C. Ryle’s message in Thoughts for Young Men was conveyed many years ago, it is refreshingly applicable to today’s generation. In fact, it is actually so well suited for young people today you would think it was written in our current times. The theme of the book was so well put together; I could not help but imagine hearing the words from Ryle himself. His warm, wise and fatherly personality radiates from the book’s pages; it is obvious that seeing young men grow and mature in Christ was important to him.

I found Ryle’s message to be also honest and candid. He avoids flattery at all costs and says it like it is. I liked his honesty and remarkable wisdom which he voiced in a very straight-forward way. He further backs his words with Biblical scriptures which adds to the depth of the message he conveys.

Another great aspect of the book Thoughts for Young Men were the questions following after each chapter. They helped me reflect on what was contained in every chapter and also aided in my application of the content in my everyday life. Additionally, I found them to be a great self-examination tool. The cover was also creative and attractive. Additionally, the book was well-edited and skillfully organized. On grammar, I identified only one grammatical error. Given all the great features of this book, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

It is, by all means, a must-read for all men who are after God’s own heart. The book contains words of life founded on Scriptures from the Bible. The reader will not read Thoughts for Young Men by J. C. Ryle and remain the same.

Thoughts for Young Men
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron

Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David S. Sparks by William F. Aicher

Post by kandscreeley » 12 Mar 2018, 19:34

Once again, I love that there are questions for reflection here. It sounds like a worthy book. If I had boys, I would have them read it. Thanks for the review!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Sahani Nimandra
Trial Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 71
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Favorite Book: <a href=" ... >Emotional Intelligence</a>
Currently Reading: Heartaches 2
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 12 Mar 2018, 22:27

“He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm" could not agree more! Regardless boys, this book has something for everyone. Very thought-provoking! Love to read it if I ever get a chance! Thank you for sharing this book and giving a great picture about it through your review.
Happiness is a cup of coffee and a good book!

2018 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by KitabuKitamu » 13 Mar 2018, 13:43

This is one book I think I should find, great review.
A book in time cures ignorance

Mercy Bolo
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 37
Favorite Book: <a href=" ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: Too Late to Mourn by Christian Tyoder and Lynn Tyoder

Post by Mercy Bolo » 14 Mar 2018, 08:15

Because a lot of spiritual and inspirational books tend to be geared towards women, it's refreshing that this one speaks directly to men, especially young men, who often fall prey to worldly vices.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lees » 14 Mar 2018, 19:29

Allow me give this scriptional writting a four out of four star becouse one,its irrasional for reconcilliation for not only young ones but worthy every living soul on earth,its holistic,directional,guinding,counciling and owesome.

2018 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Smokey-383 » 14 Mar 2018, 22:12

Thanks for a wonderful review. While this is not a book I would have sought out, after reading your review I think I would like it as a gift for some of the young men in my family.

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Damisparkles » 15 Mar 2018, 17:37

Yes, true. The meditation questions added especially after book chapters, makes motivational and life model books easily applicable to personal growth. Thanks for mentioning it in your review.

NL Hartje
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 113
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading: Air Awakens
Bookshelf Size: 375
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: Expendable and Necessary by Ralph Harris

Post by NL Hartje » 16 Mar 2018, 16:35

Having a son, this idea calls to me. Thank you for this review. I might tuck this one away to use in about five years. :shock2:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss

2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 53
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 409
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Jkhorner » 19 Mar 2018, 07:50

This is so interesting! J. C. Ryle died over 100 years ago, yet his words still apply today. I would be very interested in adding this book to my collection!

Currently Reading: Upstream
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by SABRADLEY » Today, 13:31

I think it will be easier for young men to relate to this book (as opposed to done others in the same genre) since the material is crafted toward them specifically. Young men get inundated with bad influences from a very early and and hopefully this book would provide strength and courage to walk an upright path. Great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”