Official Review: Riddle of the Firstborn by Liz K McIver

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Re: Official Review: Riddle of the Firstborn by Liz K McIver

Post by lavellan »

londonmartine wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 07:58 78 pages!! Sounds more like a novella. Well done on a really balanced and fair review - you really did try to find things you like about it. Maybe the author will go back to it someday and develop it further.
Thanks for your feedback! I also was shocked at the book's length. With further development, I think that the book could be vastly improved.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Whelp, two of my worst combinations: supernatural thrillers and spoiler alerts.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Irishmom
Currently Reading: Heartaches 3
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irishmom.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Irishmom »

Wow, you are right, the premise sounds excellent and right up my alley. So many errors become distracting, though. Thanks for your very honest review.
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. "~Groucho Marx
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

Let's hope she rewrites and re-releases it. Your review describes a story with "good bones" that need some fleshing out. Thank you for your review. This book goes in the "nope, better things to read" pile.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

Its unfortunate the book did not live up to expectation. The concept of the supernatural forms part of the African culture. I hope the author will fix the limitations his book will get better ratings.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Thanks for this honest review. I'm sad that it wasn't executed better because I would have enjoyed reading a new book concerning the occult. C'est la vie, I suppose.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Biigggg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Biigggg »

The book Riddle of the first born, by Liz K Mclver, it's topic is alright, since a riddle is something difficult, Liz is attending her dying mother, and a secret of dark magic is revealed, l think at that moment Liz was confused, it is a tragedy to see a loved one die, the secret is heavy on Liz' heart, l will like to read further on this book, l will give it three stars
Cha_eena
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cha_eena »

Great review. The book will be better if only the author can sit down to re write the story or have it proofread.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

This is the type of book that seems okay so the reviews are really important to my decision to read or not read. You gave a very balanced review, providing the positives aspects despite your one star rating. I will definitely pass on this book.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Oh man, this book is only 78 pages? That doesn't seem like nearly enough screentime for the events you've mentioned to play out properly! :( And it's a shame about the editing errors and page repetitions, those can really detract from the reading and make it hard to immerse yourself in the story...it's sad, because the premise of this story seems interesting--and it's so rare to have a POC main character as well!

Thank you for your honest review--I found it really helpful :) Hope this book gets better-edited sometime in the near future so its readers can enjoy it properly!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”