Official Review: The Meaning of Life by Gerald G. Frierson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: The Meaning of Life by Gerald G. Frierson

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Meaning of Life" by Gerald G. Frierson.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In theory, The Meaning of Life by Gerald G. Frierson is a very short (34 pages according to Amazon) book detailing how to live your life in the best possible way. Gerald begins by saying that we have no reason to live if life has no meaning, and that God should be the reason we live. Living for God, earning His forgiveness/redemption and teaching others to be good people are the ways to not only have a purpose in life, they give our lives meaning.

As a reviewer, I always do my best to cover all the overall concepts of the book and sum them up in a few paragraphs. However, perhaps like the actual meaning of life, The Meaning of Life's lessons and points are buried beneath random stories, tangents that go nowhere, repetition and presumptions. In fact, it took every bit of my reviewing and note-taking skills to even come up with a few sentences summing up the lessons in this book.

To make matters worse, this book - a book I would've assumed was nonfiction from the beginning - is one of the most blasphemous, misleading books I've ever read. It has some good points - as a Christian I couldn't agree more that we should live to teach others to be good, to strive to be the best we can be and to let go and follow God. However, when a seemingly-Christian book says that God makes mistakes, that we all have things to hide from our spouse and parents instead of being honest and asking for forgiveness, or that God didn't blame Adam and Eve for what they did in the Garden of Eden and is going to ask THEM for forgiveness, it's scary to think people will actually believe these points. One of the chapters even says it was a narration by God and ends with it thanking the author for believing in Him, and the book itself ends with "Yours Truly, THE CREATOR".

In addition to the blasphemous points of the book, the author has a way of trying to be more poignant than he really is. He's successful occasionally, but the misses are more frequent than the hits. For example, the author states that there's both negative and positive energy, and that one of the things we should strive to do is increase positive energy while reducing negative energy. Gerald even gives a great example of this is a fire - if the fire is left to spread, negative energy will engulf more and more of the world. However, if we can put the fire out and rebuild the burned home better than it was originally we've removed negative energy and made it positive! On the other hand, the author says things like "the only way we can be perfect is to not be perfect all the time. In other words, perfection is the process of not being perfect all the time." I get that this is his way of saying we can't possibly be perfect and should strive for the best we can be, but it's misleading calling that "perfection". Also, there's a chapter that focuses on how one plus one NEVER equals two in the real world - it can equal one, three or more than three, but never ever two. He does a good job explaining that this is because one husband plus one wife isn't two people, it's one couple. This can be further extended into three or more with the addition of children into their family unit. Again, the point he's making is clear, but how it's said is a bit rough.

Finally, the author frequently goes against his own points, such as repeatedly saying in the text that God made mistakes, but then later says God never makes mistakes. He says that ignorance is never acceptable but then (jokingly) has a conversation between two people in which they say no one wants to know what's really in Chinese food. This would be a great end to this, and was a nice humorous touch, but then Gerald has to go on and say that we all have secrets to keep from our parents and/or spouse, and that hopefully it wasn't captured on film; even though we "have a constitutional right to remain silent", "pictures and videos can speak volumes" and "we can all relate to that". This flies right in the face of the point he's making about ignorance being unacceptable and it happens in the very same paragraph!

The Meaning of Life isn't without merit, but the bad far outweighs the good in this case. I lost count of the errors and the number of times I looked at this book in disbelief. I can understand finding dozens of errors in a long book that was self-edited, but this book is less than 40 pages long! I absolutely can't recommend it to anyone due to the self-serving messages within and the ridiculous amount of blasphemy in a book that talks so much about religion. I give the book 1 out of 4 stars.

The Meaning of Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I am sorry this book was such a disappointment in spite of the promising topic. I do believe that seeing things only in black and white is far from the truth of life, but a writer should have a clear objective when writing and at least avoid fundamental errors. Thank you for your honest review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Gerry_9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-9.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Gerry_9 »

That was negative. But I believe the book deserved it because if an author does a poor job he needs to be told. That's the reason for this forum. The book seems to have a lot of repetition and contradiction. The author is not clear.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I don't think that I've seen many that are rated this low by you. It sounds atrocious. I don't think I'll be reading it, and I'm sorry you had to suffer through!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

My hat's off to you for making it through this book. I recently had a one star review that was an absolute bear to try to get through.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I am sorry but I could not help notice the misconceptions. A book with misconceptions is not something I am willing to read and certain points in the book I found myself disagreeing with. Thank you for sharing but this isn't my cup of tea. Sorry for your troubles!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

Just reading your review makes me a little angry this book exists. As a Christian trying to live for God, I cannot accept that God makes mistakes; otherwise He wouldn't be worth following! I think your rating is justified, and it was very gracious of you to include that it has even some merit. Thanks for reading it so the rest of us don't have to!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Thank you for a truthful assessment of this book. I will definitely not be reading it! I hope no searching souls get misled by its blasphemous and erroneous content.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

It's books like these that make me sure of my choice to read mostly fiction. At least authors of fiction feel obligated to make their stories seem realistic!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”