Official Review: Effective Leaders and Leadership

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Effective Leaders and Leadership

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Effective Leaders and Leadership" by Mildred Stallworth.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who is a leader and what makes one a leader? Is leadership inborn or can it be developed or cultivated? What are the characteristics of a leader? Does having an influential position make one a leader? In the book Effective Leaders and Leadership, Mildred Stallworth demystifies the concept of leadership. She starts with a thought-provoking definition, defining an effective leader as “someone with a desire to begin a mission that is greater than what can be seen on the surface, who can visualize images, thoughts, and ideas to bring forth a vision that will improve humanity”. Every chapter that follows delves into the topic of leadership even deeper, explaining what leadership entails and how true leadership can be identified.

What I loved most about the book was that it addresses such a critical topic in our current world. In many nations across the world, there is such a disturbing trend in the break down of leadership from homes to religious arenas, the workplace, and political spheres. It is becoming harder and harder to identify true leaders who can be emulated. Still, there are great examples that are quoted in Effective Leaders and Leadership who have set the right trend.

I also found the book quite comprehensive as it touches on very many aspects of leadership and at times even suggesting practical ways that someone can grow their leadership skills. Mildred Stallworth states clearly what leadership is and what it is not. She also notes the many myths out there about leadership that many people embrace yet these perceptions do not represent what true leadership is. Over and above that, Mildred Stallworth looks at leadership from different angles. She assesses what leadership is in many different setups including the home, which I believe is the most important.

Effective Leaders and Leadership is a short book yet contains vitally important information for every leader. All of us are leaders in one way or another and we all need to learn how to be successful at leading. According to Mildred Stallworth, the leader is the vision carrier. If we are all equipped to understand what leadership is, we will be sure to go in the right direction and achieve our goals.

Regrettably, there are some aspects of the book that I did not like which made me arrive at my rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The book, Effective Leaders and Leadership contains a number of grammatical errors which were very distracting at times. The book would definitely have been a great read were it not for the errors. I would also have liked more real-life examples to have been included in the book. There are only a few instances where the author adds practical guides. Examples always tend to add to the reader’s reading experience and they keep them captivated. Overall, the message of the book is a crucial one and which any reader will find useful.

Effective Leaders and Leadership
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Real life examples definitely would have added another level to the book. Nonetheless, this is a very appropriate topic for today's world. I don't think I'm going to read it at the moment, but I'll keep it in mind for a later time. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

This is not a book I would read, however, I love your review on it.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

Thanks for your review! I agree that real-life examples would help to engage readers and further support the author’s arguments. This book sounds like a must-read for people looking to obtain a leadership position.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

This seems like a great read for companies who are restructuring their management. Thanks for this review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

There is a leadership test called the Hitler/Mother Theresa test. The premise is that having a charismatic personality and people who would follow you to the end of the earth is not enough to make you a "true" leader. To have a calling beyond yourself is also a part of what leadership is, but also not what makes a "true" leader. After all, Hitler had all of those qualities and then some and brought an entire nation to disaster, and his calling beyond himself was horrifying. In contrast, Mother Theresa was also a leader, had many of the same qualities as Hitler, yet she was, arguably, a sound and true leader. It sounds like this book touches, at least a little, on this kind of idea. I am curious about where she takes her arguments, but I am also put off by the grammatical issues. Thanks for your review.
Anita_Gatson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anita-gatson.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Anita_Gatson »

Thanks for your review. Definitely a great topic and does sound like an interesting book. Not for me at this present time though.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I totally agree that each of us is a leader one way or another. Therefore, we all need to learn what to do or not to do to be a great leader. I find it interesting that the author addresses the theme from different angles. Then any reader, regarding their background, can benefit from the book. Thanks for sharing your insights!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book that defines the concept of leadership and all that entitles sounds thought-provoking indeed. It is good that it touches on very many aspects of leadership, and contains important data. Too bad it wasn't well-edited, and that it lacked real-life examples. Not for me, but I am glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gikonyo Caroline
Currently Reading: Big Things Have Small Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gikonyo-caroline.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Gikonyo Caroline »

I totally agree with you that there is an astonishing breakdown of leadership at all levels. For example in my country leadership is more of a popularity contest. They call it a game of numbers. Thus thus is such an a breath I of fresh air and am relieved to read this book that denotes and illustrates what true and exemplary leadership is not only at the political level but also in the home. I want to become the leader my country needs
Jessi5443
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reading Device: B0192TCZWA

Post by Jessi5443 »

This sounds like an interesting book. I totally agree with the idea that everyone is a leader whether their leadership role is positive or negative. I do not plan on reading the book , however , since I am also very easily distracted by grammatical errors. Thanks for the honest review.
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loischenderson.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak

Post by LoisCHenderson »

Oh dear, both the review and the book are just a bit too dry and humorless for me. There should be balance in a book, and this one is definitely far too preachy for me. The author is to be commended for her sincerity, though. Thank you for the excerpt.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

Why can’t anyone seem to find a good editor? The sheer number of mechanical mistakes in the first few pages of this book is ridiculous, especially considering the author’s background and chosen topic. It makes me question the legitimacy of the entire work. I always told my students that people will judge their intelligence by how they express themselves in the written word. Thank you so much for acknowledging the glaring errors.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I read the sample and was immediately distracted by the grammatical flaws, which started with "Table of Content." I am also not content with the initial contents.

I am glad you found the book useful, though.

P.S. I am quite curious about the cover, which depicts only women.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

After reading the review, I think I may read this book later on, but won't be a priority right now. Books with real life examples are more a help to me than anything else when about topics like this, which it seems this one could use more of so I may not get as much from this book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”