Official Review: Karma in Action by Constance L Vincent

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Karma in Action by Constance L Vincent

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Karma in Action" by Constance L Vincent.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Before I dove into Karma In Action: Finding Meaning, Making Choices by Constance L. Vincent I, like many people, was mistaken about karma. I always thought karma was the idea that what you do, whether good or bad, comes back to you at some point in the future. While this is partially true, Karma in Action opened my eyes to not one, not two, but ELEVEN additional rules of karma!

Karma in Action is a nonfiction book that explains and then explores karma. Constance begins by defining the difference between coincidence, luck and karma. Many folks use these terms interchangeably; I've certainly been known to throw phrases like "that's just my luck" or "I just have bad luck today" around myself. To clear these up, Constance explains each term in a clear way, then goes into some great depth about karma. She gives details on how Carl Jung, the famous psychatrist, brought some great insight to the word, explained that "karma" comes from a Sanskrit word from 1500 BCE meaning "action", and details the "twelve universal laws of karma". These laws include things like the most famous law of karma - "the great law - the law of cause and effect" (Constance points out that the Bible quote 'as you sow, so shall you reap' is a perfect example of this) - as well as "the law of connection - everything in the universe is connected" and "the law of focus - you cannot think of two things at the same time". These laws show that karma is far more than a punishment/reward system, and that we have far more influence over it and our lives than we may initially think.

[W]hen scientists first pair two particles and then separate them by a long distance, such as by keeping one in New York City and moving the other to Los Angeles, changing the spin on one causes the other particle to simultaneously change its spin too.
The above quote comes from Constance's explanation of an experiment on entanglement, and it's a great comparison to how karma works in the world. She says this is also referred to as "action at a distance", and since "karma" means "action", it makes for an incredibly full-circle experiment!

Following this first chapter that explains karma, the rest of the book shifts into an autobiography that details various parts of Constance's life. In the process of highlighting various points of her life, she also shows how, where and which laws of karma come into play. She also weaves great quotes from various sources, book references (with footnotes at the bottom of their respective pages) and stories from research, friends, parables and jokes along with her own autobiographical writing. Her own stories range from negative to positive, but they're all insightful. For example, the second chapter is about her discovering that a very scary medical condition she had where her feet went numb wasn't even something physical. She ended up finding that by taking control of her life and strengthening her will, she was able to strengthen her body as well. Another story, one steeped even more in tragic karma masked as coincidence, was when Constance was about to break up with her then-boyfriend Ed. He ended up getting terribly wounded - almost fatally so! - by falling through their sliding glass door and severing the nerves in his arms up by his armpits. This injury left him with terrible long term effects, and the author points out that this terrible accident actually caused them to not only stay together, they eventually got married and have been married for well over 30 years since! This accident happened on Bastille day, and she points out that the glass he landed on was essentially an upside-down guillotine. Furthermore, they'd recently hired a contractor to replace the glass with safety glass, and it would've been replaced by then if he hadn't ripped them off and run off with their money.

I was really blown away by the first chapter. I went into this book expecting some fluff piece about how to create good karma and thus live a fantastic, magical life. Instead, that first chapter was full of fantastic information, stuff that would compete with textbooks without actually feeling like a textbook. I felt a little disappointed by the following autobiographical chapters at first, but I really ended up liking the book overall. Some bits may have gone into a bit more detail than I would've liked, but at under 120 pages it's far from dry, dull or drawn-out, and the drawn-out pieces are the exception, not the rule. She also did an excellent job showing how karma is woven through her life, even "couples karma" that ran through her and Ed's past lives!

Karma In Action: Finding Meaning, Making Choices is informative, inspirational and a quick read. I only noticed one error, and it was an incredibly minor error in a footnote (the word "italicize" was in parentheses before a book title that should've been italicized). The book even ends with 11 discussion questions, although I'm a bit ashamed to admit I didn't even remember one of the answers mere days after finishing the book myself. I'm happy to give the book 3 out of 4 stars - I would have loved more about karma itself as the first chapter was stellar! It's an easy recommendation for anyone interested in karma, people who love books about looking at life in a new way and people who are interested in alternative medicine (in one of the chapters Ed is fighting lung cancer, and the following methods and research they used were fantastic!).

Karma in Action
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I think this would be more my kind of book it was more textbook, less memoir. I do appreciate that it isn't a fluff book. Glad you enjoyed it. Nice review.
Amulya1984
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Amulya1984 »

Karma In Action: Finding Meaning, Making Choices by Constance L. Vincent I, like many people, was mistaken about karma. I always thought karma was the idea that what you do, whether good or bad, comes back to you at some point in the future. While this is partially true, Karma in Action opened my eyes to not one, not two, but ELEVEN additional rules of karma!
I like this book, I rate this book 4/5.
Dispark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by Dispark »

Karma is more than punishment as the writer has stated :tiphat:
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

There is more to karma than what one can think. As a buddhist I have been studying karma (action) and it's vipaka (reaction) for years and it never ends just like life. Most of the facts related are true and according to psychology in the west world supports the idea. Truly a insightful book! Thank you for sharing!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

One of my favorite things to say in response to people who say 'karma's gonna get him/her' is, 'be cafeful, that bus might be coming for you with that attitude!' Certainly in the vein of thinking of karma as some sort of astral punishment system, but an attempt to point out that the individual doesn't get to decide what the universe will or will not accept. This book sounds right up my alley, I look forward to reading it!
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

Thanks for your review! I had similar thoughts about the definition of karma so I was surprised to hear that there was more to it! I’m happy to hear that the book was engaging and informative.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Although I primarily choose fiction, this book appeals to me. Did the author touch on "dharma" at all, or did she focus primarily on karma? Thank you for putting so much detail into this review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Gerry_9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-9.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Gerry_9 »

Wow I never thought that karma involved all that. That was quite a mouthful. I think the author did a great job to enlighten us. That's why I love books.
Rolemodelgh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rolemodelgh »

Wow! Did I just know that karma is something more than punishment??.... I'm just knowing it by the help of the author.... thanks much Constance
Mimiy
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Mimiy »

I really had no idea that Karma was more of a punishment ....woow
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Sounds interesting. I also thought karma simply referred to the cause and effect scenario. I had no idea there was so much of a back story. I would read this. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”