Official Review: Twelve Years of Turbulence

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: Twelve Years of Turbulence

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Twelve Years of Turbulence" by Gary Kennedy, with Terry Maxon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Twelve Years of Turbulence by Gary Kennedy, with Terry Maxon, is a nonfiction about the financial upheaval in American Airlines between 2001 and 2013. American Airlines, the world’s largest airline, is headquartered in Fort Worth, Texas, United States. In the year 2001, this airline got into a financial crisis due to an ill-timed airline acquisition, a recession, and the September 11 attacks, which involved the hijacking of two American Airlines' aircraft by terrorists that later crashed one of the planes into the Pentagon and the other one into the World Trade Center.

Gary Kennedy, who had been the vice president of the airline’s real estate and construction department, was appointed as a general counsel, in 2003, to lead the company’s legal affairs. His first task was to prepare the required papers to place America Airlines and its parent company, AMR Corporation, into bankruptcy. In much depth, this book unveils the corporate battle Gary and other senior executives fought to ensure the airline did not file for bankruptcy and how the company’s monetary situation improved afterward. Extensively, Gary narrates how the company got into another bankruptcy ordeal in 2011, and eventually, in 2013, after many hassles, AMR Corporation, parent of American Airlines, and US Airways Group, parent of US Airways, became a single corporate entity known as the American Airlines Group.

Interestingly, this narrative gives insight into the above-named airline's financial challenges, the acrimonious relationship between its management and labor leaders, bankruptcy proceedings, and mergers and acquisitions processes in the selected years. This business-related book is fast paced and engaging. Though it’s not written entertainingly, it’s very informative and expository. Being easy to read and fascinating, it's a lively and useful read for corporate executives and laymen. Besides the ups and downs of the American Airlines' business, the narration includes some United States aviation history, such as the processes involved in the elimination of the flight restrictions at Dallas Love Field and the wrongful death lawsuits that were filed against American Airlines and Airbus by some grieving families after the crash of Flight 587 in New York City in 2001.

Above all, this eye-opening publication has acquainted me with the aviation industry in the United States, and the corporate governance of American Airlines particularly. I like the authors’ use of dates to emphasize the passage of time between the events. This feature makes the narration clearer for readers. Comprising corporate procedures like financial management, handling management and employees compensation, and business planning, this narrative is a treasure chest for any business executive. Elaborately, It makes visible the strength and resilience of the senior executives of the airline. Just enough details are provided about Gary, the main character, and the other personae. They are all energetic, determined, and committed to results.

In conclusion, being enlightening, this write-up will enhance a reader’s understanding of the aviation world. For certain, the text was professionally edited. I didn’t find any typos or grammatical errors. In addition, I like the book's cover. It’s appealing and it gives a hint of what it covers. With satisfaction, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it for lawyers, judges, financial advisors, entrepreneurs, and anyone curious about life in the United States aviation industry.

Twelve Years of Turbulence
View: on Bookshelves

Like Rosemary Wright's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad that you found something to enjoy about this book, but it's not something that interests me at all. Thanks for the information, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I love reading about interesting and niche topics, even if they don't particularly interest me. I think it broadens our horizons to expose ourselves to different topics that we might not have typically engaged with.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

Thanks for your review! I don’t know much aviation and I didn’t even know that American Airlines went through such a crisis. This book seems like it would provide an eye-opening explanation of the situation.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The plot seem to be a eye opener and that you seem to have enjoyed the book which is great but this is certainly not my cup of tea but thank you for the excessive details!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I also like the cover! The art and the title itself are great marketing for the book's contents. Thanks for this review, I enjoyed reading what you had to say!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

NL Hartje wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 01:20 I also like the cover! The art and the title itself are great marketing for the book's contents. Thanks for this review, I enjoyed reading what you had to say!
You're welcome NL Hartje. I'm glad you did.👍
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

I had no idea there was so much drama going on in the airlines. That sounds like it would be really interesting for frequent flyers and people interested in aviation in general. There’s so much more going on than any of us realize from the outside.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”