Official Review: Beware the Wolves by Victor Moss

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: Beware the Wolves by Victor Moss

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beware the Wolves" by Victor Moss.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Beware the Wolves by Victor Moss is a fictionalized account of his parents’ survival during WWII in Russia. The story starts with Captain Vladimir Moskalkov looking at a burned-down village. During the war, it was one of Stalin’s decrees that residents evacuate and burn their villages to avoid them being captured and used as bases by the advancing Germans.

Vladimir was not only a captain but also a medic, so his first duty was always to the wounded and the sick. Finding medicine was an ongoing struggle during the war when medical supplied were as scarce as bread itself.

Disobeying a direct order from his superior, Vladimir, with a few comrades, sneaked out to search the destroyed village for supplies. He was lucky, as he found some much-needed medicine, but his act of defiance angered the Colonel who, out of spite, sent him to the battlefield, in the direct line of fire, to care for the injured.

And so starts Vladimir’s real journey during the gruesome and merciless war. Sometimes the story would switch to the past where the author described how Vladimir met Vladyslava, a fellow medical student, who would become his wife. Some chapters were also told from Slava’s point of view, allowing us to experience her own struggles during the war while waiting for the return of her husband.

The story is compelling, and while I have read countless WWII fiction and non-fiction books over the years (I was born in Eastern Europe, so this topic is quite close to me), I thoroughly enjoyed reading Beware the Wolves. It often reads like an action-packed war novel, although you are never allowed to forget that the war was real and you were reading about the lives of two real people deeply affected by it. I found it quite hard to read about Vladimir’s capture by the Germans, his long march to one of the Nazi concentration camps, and his life under terrible conditions at the camp. This part was really heartwrenching.

At times, I was amazed by the atrocities humans could inflict on their own race. But then I remembered that these things indeed happened. Some people, under the right conditions, can become true monsters.

While the end of the book reads almost like a fairy tale, I kept thinking of the millions of others whose fates were sealed by enemy bullets or later at the Nazi camps. Not everyone was as lucky as the Russian couple who, eventually, managed to immigrate to the US, which is where their son, the author, was born.

I found the story difficult to put down once I started reading it. The characters felt real with all the sorrow, pain, and moments of happiness they felt during the war. My only complaint would be about the ending. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the ending, but I found it slightly rushed. While the rest of the book went into painstaking details about the day-to-day lives of Vladimir, and to a lesser degree, Slava, the end wrapped the story quite fast. I am assuming that we will get to learn what happened with the couple in the second book which picks up their adventure right where Beware the Wolves ends.

The book was properly edited and was, generally, well written. I found only a few grammatical and punctuation errors, such as “Tanya, is a Feldsher” where there should be no comma, and some missing periods at the end of a few sentences. Therefore, I give Beware the Wolves 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to anyone who loves reading historical fiction and non-fiction books, especially those focusing on WWII.

Beware the Wolves
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Love your review. I've gotten the opportunity to read a few books on the accounts of real people during the war here on OBC. I agree the pain and trauma can feel so real while reading these stories. I would love to read a Russian's account though -- a new perspective.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

I really like the sound of this one. I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for your thorough review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This one sounds like something I would really enjoy. The author sounds like he has a great deal of strength for having survived something so horrendous. It's never easy reading about someone's life during war time, but I think it's our duty to never forget. Thanks for the great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

I always get attracted towards books that tend to present personal emotions within situations that are very real. Thanks for the closely observed review!
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

This story sounds like one I would really enjoy reading since I love history. The Nazis were terrible but so were the Soviets. People do not know that or forget because the emphasis in school and college is on the Nazis. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Niceeeeee! I like the depiction of reality even through a non fiction book and it seem this one has hit right. Definitely in my book list besides I have a knack for reading WW2 stories. Thank you for your detailed review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I have recently read three Vietnam War era books and was surprisingly interested in each. Your review leads me to believe I might enjoy the WWII era as well. Thanks so much!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Kislany! So your review repertoire now includes wars (aside from dragons, of course).

Vladimir, Vladyslava, and Victor all speak Russian to me. The Germans have brutalized many races. And the US has been a safe haven for many victims (Is this still the reality these days?).

I wonder which parts of the story are fiction. I also wonder who the wolves are now.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”