Official Review: Expendable and Necessary by Ralph Harris

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Re: Official Review: Expendable and Necessary by Ralph Harris

Post by CommMayo »

I had a coworker, a huge towering man, who would get tears in his eyes every time he would talk about serving in Vietnam. I agree with the comments of others that reading about war as a memoir does so much more to enlighten a person than simply reading a history book.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

CommMayo wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 10:51 I had a coworker, a huge towering man, who would get tears in his eyes every time he would talk about serving in Vietnam. I agree with the comments of others that reading about war as a memoir does so much more to enlighten a person than simply reading a history book.
Wow, I don't personally know any Vietnam vets. After reading two Vietnam memoirs recently, I would love to meet one and ask them questions but I know how insensitive that would be. I've just become curious to learn more I suppose.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

This seems to be a highly engaging read. I particularly like its healing potential because I am aware of just how damaging war can be. I also like the perspective it provides to civilians of the sacrifices inherent in every battle.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

NL Hartje wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 21:01 These events showed readers how heart and hope could stay alive in the direst of situations.
Love that line - and that sentiment.
From being constantly sent to point for the most traumatic missions to being denied promotions for voicing his concerns, Harris got the distinct feeling that he and his “soul brothers” were nothing more than expendables being used as a means to an end.

His open-minded commentary on the race war within the political conflict, however, was refreshing and revealing. ... Through his experiences, Lance Corporal Ralph Harris came away with a newfound appreciation for life, laughter, tears, and pain. I hope that all who read this book come away with the same. I certainly did.
I can't really think of a high recommendation. You make the book sound absolutely fascinating and a very worthwhile read.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Libs_Books wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 01:06
NL Hartje wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 21:01 These events showed readers how heart and hope could stay alive in the direst of situations.
Love that line - and that sentiment.
From being constantly sent to point for the most traumatic missions to being denied promotions for voicing his concerns, Harris got the distinct feeling that he and his “soul brothers” were nothing more than expendables being used as a means to an end.

His open-minded commentary on the race war within the political conflict, however, was refreshing and revealing. ... Through his experiences, Lance Corporal Ralph Harris came away with a newfound appreciation for life, laughter, tears, and pain. I hope that all who read this book come away with the same. I certainly did.
I can't really think of a high recommendation. You make the book sound absolutely fascinating and a very worthwhile read.
Thank you so much for your kind comments! I really learned mountains about the war in this read, plus it was actually entertaining!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

qsusan wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 14:08 This seems to be a highly engaging read. I particularly like its healing potential because I am aware of just how damaging war can be. I also like the perspective it provides to civilians of the sacrifices inherent in every battle.
There is definitely potential for both civilians and veterans to find enjoyment and peace in this book. I truly hope the author can find an audience, his book is worth reading.
-Dr. Seuss
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Given our current political climate, this sounds like an important reminder of where race relations were in the past and how far we have (and have not) come in the last 50 years. Thanks for the great review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I do enjoy your writing! This is not a book I would shy away from, although for me, the timing has to be just right. Thank you for a thorough and beautifully-written review!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I really like the way how the author expresses the idea of been cheerful in ugly situation and some are pretty humorous as you said about a rat climbing on top of a official who was a sleep. Great review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

Sounds like an eye-opening book about the Vietnam War, military operations, and racism during that time. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Lu_rire
Currently Reading: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-rire.html
Latest Review: Driven by Max Barnet/Hugh Aaron

Post by Lu_rire »

It is an unadvoidable truth that war changes people and often breaks them. Books lkke this open our eyes to the ugly realities of war.
Clinical1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Clinical1 »

The Vietnam War was a civil war in their county, but very much was a non-military civil war here in the US. Our veterans were treated horribly. Black veterans were treated even worse. And here we are, 2018, and we are still segregating. Shameful.
Rhedreading
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhedreading.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Rhedreading »

I found your review inviting and descriptive. I live in Vietnam as an expat and I'm intrigued by the accounts of veterans returned after the war because their memories and stories are not easily translated for an audience outside of war. It's humbling to come across a voice, raw and relatable, that can deliver a message through the thickness of taboo and tragedy. It sounds like Harris is one of those voices. Thanks for sharing your great review.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Rhedreading wrote: 09 Feb 2019, 05:01 I found your review inviting and descriptive. I live in Vietnam as an expat and I'm intrigued by the accounts of veterans returned after the war because their memories and stories are not easily translated for an audience outside of war. It's humbling to come across a voice, raw and relatable, that can deliver a message through the thickness of taboo and tragedy. It sounds like Harris is one of those voices. Thanks for sharing your great review.
Thank YOU for reading. It was truly a moving book.
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”