Review by VRoth -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
VRoth
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vroth.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Review by VRoth -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by VRoth »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

BOOK REVIEW

Title: Who Told You That You Were Naked

Author:
As a retired Presbyterian minister and a holder of a Doctor of Ministry degree from Fuller Theological Seminary, a reputable university, William Combs has shown himself highly qualified to write on the subject of good and evil. His empirical background lends itself to the veracity of the book.

Social/historical context:
The book is a short 185 page novel that is set in the historical context of a five year old boy in the Matanuska valley in Alaska around the time of World War II. It was a time when electricity was not yet extensively common in that area. William Combs channels the biblical story of the first man and woman through his contemporary experiences. The book brings to contrast the disparity between good and evil; between the Law of sin and death and the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus. It depicts how sin first entered the human race and highlights various social and cultural beliefs associated with religious practices and theological nuances. The book was engaging and it had me thinking of life on many levels

Writing style:
The author basically writes in a persuasive style but also incorporated portions of the descriptive and narrative in order to reinforce his argument and convince his audience. The Stories, imagery, and didactic extrapolation together create a masterpiece for the human mind and soul. However, I did not like the blend of fiction with biblical truth although I believe that the fictitious narratives would certainly be helpful for some readers. I mostly like the exegetical aspect of biblical texts because I gravitate more to facts rather than opinions.

Summary:
When I saw the title of the book, I immediately became interested in reading the book. As I started reading, my romanticized first impression of the book quickly faded into what I considered a long introduction. I just wanted to get through the clutters of historical setting; so I thought. Then suddenly, as if the author heard me; I read, “We are tempted to skip through this extended introduction to rejoice in God’s love and forgiveness in Jesus Christ.” I was suddenly convicted; Combs was actually talking to me and I now had a better appreciation for the lengthy introduction. When he invited me to come with him on a mission to read the rest of his book, I was ready; he has won my heart; he has gotten my attention.

I loved the way the author burst through the cloud of history into the light of his imagination; sin and death versus light and life. My understanding of sin has been reinforced; sin is both a law and an act. It was intriguing to me when the author took an unexpected theological turn of the “Fruit-eating episode” in the Garden. For the first time I reexamined how I judged Adam and his wife. The author suggested that their decision to eat the fruit was not rebellion at heart but that they hoped to grow closer to their Father and thus become more like him. Wow! What an insight.

Rating:
I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The consistency and layout of the book with its subject headings and anchor boxes reinforcing important ideas and concepts make it easy to read. The study questions at the end of each chapter are indelibly useful; they concretize the key concepts that should be remembered. The arguments presented were carefully and thoughtfully supported and defended.

Recommendation:
I have high recommendation for this book. The way the author imaginatively photographed the entrance of sin into the world through Adam and the redemptive act of grace through the last Adam, the Lord Jesus Christ, is a subject that is relevant to every single person alive. This book is good for church leaders and workers, for professors, and for the inquiring minds; everyone should read this book. The writing is captivating and stimulating; once you start reading, it is hard to put it down.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like VRoth's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”