Official Review: Step by Step Guidance to Three Profitab...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Anirudh Badri
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: A Black and White Life by Bharath Veeraraghavan

Official Review: Step by Step Guidance to Three Profitab...

Post by Anirudh Badri » 06 Mar 2018, 15:36

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Step by Step Guidance to Three Profitable Businesses" by T. Goodwin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Step by Step Guidance to Three Profitable Businesses is a book written by T.Goodwin that lives up to its name. The author painstakingly details the steps that are required to build successful businesses in the non-medical homecare space, domestic referral space and the tutoring space.

This is not a general book on entrepreneurship that only aims to make the reader a better businessman in general. This book takes a very different approach to detail the steps needed to build three specific businesses. First, the book talks about the requirements for building a non-medical homecare company. It suggests various strategies for cost-saving (having a virtual office) and marketing (talking to receptionists and doctors in hospitals). It also provides details about the regulatory requirements in the US and also has sample forms that can be used as a baseline to build your own. Then it moves on to building a Domestic Referral Agency which works with independent contractors and not employees. Here too, the author provides tips and tricks that are crucial and derived from experience along with documentation and an explanation of the relevant terms. Finally, the author provides a blueprint for a tutoring company which includes ideas about how and where to get prospective tutors and clients.

The best part about the book is that it is made to be directly actionable. If the reader is interested in building one of these three businesses, they now have the tools and information to get started. In addition to that, the reader gets to bypass the common pitfalls in the field by relying on the wealth of experience that the author has distilled into this book. Between that and the sample documentation, the reader can ensure that they get off to a great start. With sample invoices, marketing flyers and timesheets, the reader’s start-up can begin with the systems and practices of successful companies in the field, which would give them a huge boost over competitors.

One problem I had with the book was the repetitive nature of the points made. This problem primarily comes down to the structure of the book. Since the author proceeds business by business, a lot of the points that are relevant across multiple businesses end up being repeated multiple times. A better way to go about this would be to start off with a section on best practices that are applicable across multiple businesses before diving into the specifics of individual businesses. In addition, there were far too many typos and grammatical errors that detracted from the experience of reading the book.

This book would be ideal for people who either have a business in one of these domains or are interested in starting one. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars as I think the content in it can be immensely valuable. However, the grammatical errors in the book prevent me from giving it a perfect rating.

Step by Step Guidance to Three Profitable Businesses
View: on Bookshelves

Like Anirudh Badri's review? Post a comment saying so!
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 54
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: 2079 by Donald P Robin

Post by kandscreeley » 08 Mar 2018, 08:19

It's too bad about the grammatical errors, but I love the fact that this book teaches you how to build a business. There are a lot of books out there that just give general principles, so it's nice that this one is specific. It definitely makes me want to pick this up and see if I can do it! Thanks for the information.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Paul78
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2017 Reading Goal: 8
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 37
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 37
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading: Decide Success You Ain't Dead Yet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Paul78 » 08 Mar 2018, 16:05

It is unfortunate that there were repetitions and errors in this book. This boils down to one thing, that a professional editor was not sourced thus leaving many of those errors unattended to.
On the positive though, it is good to note that any person interested in the line of business stated above would get rich ideas from this book.

Thanks for the detailed review.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin

NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading: Neverwhere
Bookshelf Size: 383
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: The Candle Room by Daniel K. Gentile

Post by NL Hartje » 10 Mar 2018, 01:37

I'm generally not a "how-to" reader but your review makes clear that this book has its assets. I might keep this in mind for friends looking to grow a business. Thanks so much!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”