Official Review: You Can't do that! Yes I Can!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: You Can't do that! Yes I Can!

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You Can't do that! Yes I Can!" by Michael Attardi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

You Can’t Do That! Yes I Can! is an inspiring memoir by former NFL player, actor, singer, composer and animated film producer Michael Attardi.

Michael was born in Long Branch, New Jersey. He, his two sisters, Michelle and Francine, and their parents Michael Sr. and Frances lived in Westwood Manor with Michael’s maternal grandparents. He had an exciting, colorful and adventure filled childhood complete with youthful mischief and indiscretions that he defied death two times already even before he turned twenty three.

When Michael was five, he underwent a surgery to have his tonsils removed. The surgery left Michael with speech impediment that caused him to be bullied and laughed at. His stuttering was so bad that his guidance counselor decided he would never go to college when he could hardly communicate with people. He proved her wrong when he passed the audition and played the role of Tin Man in the musical The Wiz.

In his sophomore year, Michael, weighing 145 pounds, was told that he would never play football in college. He gained 30 pounds of muscle in a year and was kicking 50-yard field goals in practice. He played varsity football in Long Branch, in Kutztown University, Montclair State University and finally the NFL kicking for the Los Angeles Raiders.

With Afterword by Steve Ortmayer, former General Manager of the LA Raiders and Michael Broggie, award winning author of Walt Disney’s Railroad Story, this is an inspiring and almost fantastical book about someone who proved to the world that no one can tell him he can’t do something. Michael Attardi, for me, is an epitome of success not because of his accomplishments in sports, in the performing arts or the animation film production but because of hard work, patience, perseverance and persistence. When he was met with failure, he faced it head on and moved on.

Unlike other books about ‘rising above adversity’ which usually focus on the adversity, this book focuses more on the positive things. The author shares the fun and excitement of his childhood, the feeling of elation after a successful performance and the magical feeling of meeting people he never dreamed of meeting like Bruce Springsteen and Tom Hanks.

What I like most about the book is the author’s effusive and sincere expression of gratitude to people who helped him in his careers and his appreciation for the opportunity of meeting and working with talented, hardworking and kind people. I think that is an admirable attitude, counting the blessings instead of complaining about the hardships.

The most important part of the book, for me, is the emphasis on perseverance, the attitude of ‘not giving up’ and ‘giving it all you got’ because that is exactly what the author did and, I believe, still does.

However, aside from several noticeable errors within the entire book which are mostly typos, I find the timeline a bit confusing and difficult to follow.

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is a very inspiring book with uplifting almost fantastical stories about the author’s encounter with famous people in Sports, Hollywood and Music and Filmmaking. I recommend it to readers who enjoy books about rising above adversity.

You Can't do that! Yes I Can!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Thanks for your review. It was nicely written. I think this is a book I would read but I am a bit thrown off by books with a confusing timeline. I read a book like that recently so I really don't want to deal with that again.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

KFree_Reads wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 07:39 Thanks for your review. It was nicely written. I think this is a book I would read but I am a bit thrown off by books with a confusing timeline. I read a book like that recently so I really don't want to deal with that again.
You're welcome. It's a great book.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think not giving up is certainly an important lesson to learn. This sounds like it could be very encouraging. Thanks so much for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Your review shows a book that is a must read. I think I should be buying it soon. Any book on overcoming adversity is welcome as we learn from others on how they overcame their challenges to conquer the world.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 08:43 I think not giving up is certainly an important lesson to learn. This sounds like it could be very encouraging. Thanks so much for the review.
You're welcome. It's a great book and I enjoyed it a lot.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Paul78 wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 15:59 Your review shows a book that is a must read. I think I should be buying it soon. Any book on overcoming adversity is welcome as we learn from others on how they overcame their challenges to conquer the world.
Thank you. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

Thanks for your review! I like the author’s attitude and how he defied everyone’s expectations.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

lavellan wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 15:12 Thanks for your review! I like the author’s attitude and how he defied everyone’s expectations.
You're welcome. It's a great book and I enjoyed it a lot.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Oh, what a lovely underdog story! I bet this book will help many teens overcome doubting their self-worth. Thank you for this review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

NL Hartje wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 01:22 Oh, what a lovely underdog story! I bet this book will help many teens overcome doubting their self-worth. Thank you for this review!
You're welcome. It's one enjoyable book.
Mildred Stallworth
Favorite Author: Mildred Stallworth
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 98313
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Effective Leaders and Leadership

Post by Mildred Stallworth »

Thanks for your honest review. This book seems to have more positives than negatives. I like the authors attitude; never give up even through difficulties!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Mildred Stallworth wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 00:49 Thanks for your honest review. This book seems to have more positives than negatives. I like the authors attitude; never give up even through difficulties!
You're welcome. It's a great book and I enjoyed reading it.
Gerry_9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-9.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Gerry_9 »

I truly enjoyed your review. The book captures my attitude which is positivity in challenges and in all round life. The power to say yes in face of naysayers and negativity and actually achieve the objective is a necessary tool in life. This book seems to achieve that.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Gerry_9 wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 06:33 I truly enjoyed your review. The book captures my attitude which is positivity in challenges and in all round life. The power to say yes in face of naysayers and negativity and actually achieve the objective is a necessary tool in life. This book seems to achieve that.
Thank you. This an inspiring and encouraging book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”