Official Review: From Hill Town to Strieby

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: From Hill Town to Strieby

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From Hill Town to Strieby" by Margo Lee Williams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams is a beautiful and inspiring story set in Strieby (formerly known as Hilltown), Randolph County in North Carolina. The narrative majorly revolves around the members of the Hill family starting with Edward Hill and his wife, Priscilla Mahockly. Another family largely featured in the book is the Lassiter family descended from Miles Lassiter, who was born a slave, and his wife Healy Phillips Lassiter.

One of the people who graces the pages of the book, From Hill Town to Strieby, is Rev. Islay Walden, an ambitious and undeterred man. The book showcases his selflessness and undivided determination to change the state of his community. He leaves his home and comes back years later educated and ready to implement long-lasting and invaluable changes to Strieby.

The author, Margo Lee Williams, masterfully presents the backdrop of Strieby and the circumstances surrounding Rev. Islay Walden’s life and the community he was serving at the time. Behind his gracious and determined efforts, Rev. Islay Walden did not impact the community by himself; rather he was also aided by others before him and those who offered him their help.

One of the best aspects of the book, From Hill Town to Strieby, to me, was that it contains inspiring and informative information on how both the Church and education played significant roles in the development of rural African American communities. Margo Lee Williams points out how the American Missionary Association (AMA) brought education to African Americans in the South. The Association was of great help to the Strieby community and also advanced Rev. Islay’s hope of seeing his people educated.

Another great aspect of the book is the rich history that it contains starting from the 1700s and moving along generational lines to the Strieby community now. Margo Lee Williams shows how the town has changed and what deliberate efforts were made to change the state of affairs. She keenly focuses on education, Church and family and how all these have changed from a time of great adversity and impoverishment to a point of significant liberty and development.

From Hill Town to Strieby is also very well researched, organized and written. It contains close to no grammatical errors and I could not help admiring the meticulousness of Margo Lee Williams. The various historical records and images that were also included in the book built interest in me to keep reading the book and helped me understand the information contained even more deeply. They also ignited my imagination. I found the book really inspirational and therefore rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

From Hill Town to Strieby
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Great review! This really sounds like a great book. I like that it includes pictures. I find pictures really help especially when the book covers alot of historical events. I think I'll be adding this one to my shelves. Thanks for your honest review!
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Post by EmunahAn »

KFree_Reads wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 05:46 Great review! This really sounds like a great book. I like that it includes pictures. I find pictures really help especially when the book covers alot of historical events. I think I'll be adding this one to my shelves. Thanks for your honest review!
Thank you for reading my review and leaving a reply. The book was a great read, very inspirational.
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad that it was so well researched and contained no grammatical errors. It sounds like a book full of history. I just don't think I'd enjoy it, but I really appreciate your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Fantastic review! Good for those interested in societal aspects and how it overlaps with history!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I like when someone has the ability to make a difference in peoples lives, such a person is Rev. Islay Walden. I think I will definitely read this book to see this "father's" great services. Thank you for sharing this book!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

EmunahAn wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 07:11
KFree_Reads wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 05:46 Great review! This really sounds like a great book. I like that it includes pictures. I find pictures really help especially when the book covers alot of historical events. I think I'll be adding this one to my shelves. Thanks for your honest review!
Thank you for reading my review and leaving a reply. The book was a great read, very inspirational.
You're most welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed it 😊
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Lovely review! It seems like this book itself might be too lovely for me though. I generally lean toward the gritty, dirty stories and this doesn't seem to be one haha. Thanks for the review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Students and fans of American history would surely love to get their hands on this book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”