Official Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Re: Official Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Misael Carlos »

Good reviews were written about this book, and it made me very interested to immerse myself on Mr. Cosrello's memoir. I personally enjoy real stories about famous people and for me to realize that, like us, they are also human being, full of imperfections.
sarahs88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by sarahs88 »

I am not one for memoirs, but from reading this review it sounds like something I should read, if I hadn't already checked it out. I loved the second paragraph of the review as it told me so much about the book in just that, and made it sound exciting. I liked the fact that the author shared his past about his father and made sure to point out the abuse and him overcoming those obstacles and completing college. I can definitely see how someone could feel connected to the author and feel like you really know him. All in all great review and great book.
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Jmteachmom »

Remarkable and well written review! I love memoirs and after reading your review I cant wait to start reading this one. Thank you for sharing your experience with this read.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

I don't read a lot of memoirs, but this sounds like it's well structured and interesting. I'll consider picking this one up.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Nic13wendy
Currently Reading: This blessed earth
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nic13wendy.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Nic13wendy »

I am originally from Chicago and love anything based out of Chicago. The review you have done sounds amazing. Anything that is based on true events always catch my attention. The life of this man: getting through school, abusive father, being on the streets of Chicago and working his way up the corporate ladder sounds right up my ally. I am excited to start reading this book.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

I just read a sample of the book and agree with your observation that it's like a family member sharing a story. Thanks for the review!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A memoir recounting the life of John Costello, a Chicago street-wise kid that rose to the executive ladder, sounds interesting. John Costello sounds like an impressive man. He dealt with the cards life gave him admirably. It is good of him to share his story with the readers. It was good of him to tie loose ends and tell what happened to the other characters. I am not fond of memoirs, but I am glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

This looks like a great memoir and exploration into our current business world. I look forward to reading it!
shraddharm
Favorite Book: Beyond embarrasment
Currently Reading: The Disembodied
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shraddharm.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by shraddharm »

I was a little shocked after reading the review about how the author's father wasn't supportive which intrigued me. I hope this book is a good read.
-R
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

This sounds like a fantastic memoir. I love a good rags to riches story. I like that you mention how you felt come red with the author. In any sort of autobiography, this is a great thing. Your wrote a great review. :D
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Farmgurl1
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Farmgurl1 »

John Costello's life sounds very fascinating. The review describes his life as living in two different worlds and how he rose above his family life growing up to become successful. I'm not a big fan of memoirs, but this one has gotten great reviews and sounds like it would be unique and a great read.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review! I’m intrigued as to how a singer cons people. It looks like a great read.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

I am new to this kind of genre but I am interested in reading memoirs. From your review, I have learned about John and now I know what to expect. Your review has made me want to read this book and I have already downloaded a free copy for myself. I am sure the memoir will inspire me because the information given on your review is part of what I am interested in reading about.
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 »

Normally, I am not a huge fan of reading memoirs, but this one seems so fascinating to me. I can't wait to read it and learn more about Costello's childhood growing up as a hoodlum in Chicago. I need more diversity in the kinds of books I read.
"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

"Ye are our epistle, written in our hearts, known and read of all men;" -2 Corinthians 3:2 (ASV)
Rajanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231

Post by Rajanis »

A memoir about the crazy antics of Join Costello's youth, all told with humor and a quick wit. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”