Official Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Kat Berg »

As others have said, I am not usually into memoirs, but this one seems to be a bit different. It is difficult to be both entertaining and maintain a warm and sincere writing style. And the life of John Costello is definitely not your Regular Joe kind of life.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I'm not a huge fan of nonfiction books, but some memoirs do catch my attention. Stories that prove that anyone can succeed no matter where they started and the obstacles they faced along the way, are truly inspiring.
okayode
Currently Reading: Satan and Me and OBE
Bookshelf Size: 110

Post by okayode »

The writer has done well to write up such a nice memoir. It is an encouraging story. and being able to describe every character in simple format is another credit. John Costello has demonstrated determination without resilience. Good review, congrats on BOD.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I don’t often read a lot of memoirs, but you do a really good job of making this one sound enticing. His father sounds awful and I love that you enjoyed this so much. Thanks for writing a review!
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I'm generally not a memoir reader, and especially not one of this type. It's just not in my wheel house. It definitely sounds like it will appeal to people who like to read the genre. I like that it seems honest and straightforward and I agree that it's amazing what he overcame in life. That is always inspiring. Thanks for your review.
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
a_jerobon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by a_jerobon »

This review is a good one. It is really compelling me towards reading memoirs. I love the part you say he has it all because really who does not have it all when you are a billionaire, have a beautiful wife and a set of twins. This really feels like a relative telling you a story about their lives.
Smygliss
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Smygliss »

Your enthusiasm for this book is contagious! I'm not a big fan of memoirs normally, but your review leads one to feel drawn to want to know more about drama and excitement leading to the author's success today. I, for one, am feeling the vibe for sure!
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I like how the reviewer says he felt like he's known the author whole his life by reading the memoir. And further, that John's life is like a walking Goodfella's movie only more interesting. Makes me want to pick the book and read it.
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

Awesome review. I love when an author takes the time to tie up the loose ends. It is always wonderful to read about someone who was able to overcome so much and make a good life for themselves.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
Ezinne34
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Ezinne34 »

Executive hoodlum by John Costello was an exciting read ,very inspiring and perfect writing ,he describes in detail ,it was quite an amazing story .
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I do enjoy reading about how successful people became successful, especially when it's against all odds. I feel bad that the author had to have such a tough childhood, but it's encouraging to see that he pulled through it so well. Thank you for the thorough review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

I’m not particularly interested in memoirs, but it’s inspiring to see someone who has come from a difficult upbringing build a reputable career. I’m glad the reviewer found this memoir genuine and entertaining.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I'm usually here and there for memoirs but thanks to this review, I'm in here! I know all too well about father frustrations and would like to see how Costello makes the best of his situation. Thanks for the scintillating review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

Usually, I cannot find myself interested in reading memoirs. However, after reading the review, I kind of want to know how the author went from being a troubled kid with a rough childhood to becoming the VP. of a successful company. I'd like to know more about his story. Thank you for the review.
Gracie777
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracie777.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Gracie777 »

Thank you for your intriguing review. I am an adamant fan of memoirs for the reason that you get to learn million dollar worth lessons. I feel too that it will not disappoint.I can't wait to be thoroughly entertained and to learn too.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”