Official Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: <a href=" ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: The Book of 7 by J. R. Wexler

Official Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by ellieonline03 » 01 Mar 2018, 01:36

[Following is an official review of "Executive Hoodlum" by John Costello.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One look with John Costello today and you would never guess that he had experienced so much trouble in the past. He has become a successful man. He is the Vice President in a billion-dollar semiconductor company. He has a loving wife and two sets of twins. One could say that he has it all. And yet, after reading his memoir, I could almost picture in my head the famous line: “Don’t judge a book by its cover.” Executive Hoodlum: Negotiating on the Corner of Main and Mean by John Costello tells the story of how a Chicago street-wise kid rose to the executive ladder.

John Costello was born in Chicago at the time where gangs and motorcycle clubs were at its peak. He grew up to be street-wise, partly because of the dangerous environment, and mainly because his father forced him. Speaking of his father, most of John’s troubles and frustrations were because of him. His father had a twisted way of showing his love (if you can afford to call it that) for John. From childhood, John had received countless beatings from him. His father never encouraged him to go to school. He thinks that going to school is a waste of money. If not for John’s perseverance, he would not have graduated from college. To top it all, his father’s talent in singing was a front to con people. The constant association of John’s name in his father’s exploits threatens his position as he builds his way to a reputable career and life.

I can honestly and wholeheartedly say that Executive Hoodlum is one of the best memoirs I have read. Ever. It was entertaining and oozing with genuine sincerity. I felt that the author only wants to share his story with his readers. It's a plus if they pick life lessons along the way. His story was not unique in every aspect, but what makes it special is the vibe it exudes. The author wrote it so beautifully that it made me think he was a close relative of mine, telling me stories of his adventures in his younger days. I never met the author, but after reading his story, it felt like I’ve known him for a long time. The story was simple and used first person point-of-view. I found myself glued to the pages for hours.

It is noteworthy to mention that the Foreword and Afterword were written by Scott Baio and Larry Elder, respectively. These two famous and iconic men became close friends with the author. Their words were not only full of praise to the author but also sprinkled with admiration for a great friend. I agreed with Mr. Elder when he said that John’s “life is like a walking Goodfellas movie, only far more interesting.”

I enjoyed how the epilogue was structured as well. It contained a list of names that were mentioned in the book. After each name, the author wrote a brief description of the person’s current whereabouts. This was important to me because it helped me tie some loose ends on what happened to the other characters. This is usually overlooked in most memoirs. Some books tend to focus on one character and forget the other characters mentioned in the story.

Without a doubt, I give Executive Hoodlum: Negotiating on the Corner of Main and Mean by John Costello 4 out of 4 stars. There were minimal typographical errors and missing commas. However, this could be easily fixed with a bit of polishing. Anyhow, it was not enough to deduct a point in the rating. Executive Hoodlum would be perfect for readers who enjoy memoirs and even those who are still new to this particular genre. This book will not disappoint. Read it and be thoroughly entertained.

Executive Hoodlum
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ellieonline03's review? Post a comment saying so!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: Pat Ruger: Children's Reprise by Jack Huber
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cristinaro » 02 Mar 2018, 06:20

I am not a big fan of memoirs, but from your review John Costello's story seems to be well-written and entertaining. I am also glad that the author did not shy away form sharing more troublesome relationships in his life like his relationship with his father. Thank you!

Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 27
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David S. Sparks by William F. Aicher

Post by kandscreeley » 02 Mar 2018, 09:06

Wow! Glowing praise indeed! I'm not usually into memoirs, but with such high praise, I'm not sure how I can pass this one up. I'll have to look at it. Thanks!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

2018 Reading Goal: 560
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Currently Reading: The Mystic Masseur
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by prettysmart » 02 Mar 2018, 13:06

A good read that serves motivation for especially those from the garrison or poverty stricken areas. Awesome review!

2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads » 03 Mar 2018, 19:34

Nice review! I really like the title of this book. The oxymoron definitely caught my attention. I love memoirs so it's a yes for me with this one.

Al Chakauya
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by Al Chakauya » 04 Mar 2018, 13:18

Splendid review! I am a big fan of memoirs, especially the motivational type and it's definitely a yes for me. An author appreciating every character in his book and taking time to find out what they are doing in their life is a rare but sincere feat.

2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 41
Currently Reading: Snow Crash
Bookshelf Size: 317
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide to Zombies by Dave Robertson

Post by Honeybeetle » 15 Mar 2018, 16:12

I've only read a handful of memoirs, but you make this one sound different and interesting. Especially the angle of feeling like a story heard from a relative-- some of my fondest stories were overheard from older relatives discussing past adventures, and I'd love to have that feeling again.
Holler about books on Twitter with me @DextroColeo! :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”