Official Review: POWERING UP! 3rd Edition (released Sept....

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: POWERING UP! 3rd Edition (released Sept....

Post by Christina Rose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "POWERING UP! 3rd Edition (released Sept. 2017)" by Anne Doyle.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Never eliminate yourself."

These wise words were spoken to Anne Doyle, one of the first female television sports broadcasters in the nation, by her father during a period in Anne's life when she really needed to hear them. Now, through her thought-provoking and inspirational book, Anne Doyle passes those words of wisdom along to us, the readers, as well as a slew of other timely and pertinent information. Powering Up! is a nonfiction book that can act as road map or a guidebook for women looking to break into the arena of leadership. The book itself is broken up into three parts, with each part further divided into thirteen chapters altogether.

Part one of the book discusses who we are generationally as women achievers. Each of the three generations discussed have been influenced by very distinct cultural values, as well as by the work environments typical of that particular decade. Anne Doyle has named these three generational achievers the Pioneering Interlopers, Influential Insiders, and I'll-Do-It-My-Way Innovators. The Interlopers are primarily Baby Boomers along with some Traditionalists. Examples include women such as Barbara Walters and Oprah Winfrey. The Insiders tend to be part of the Generation X. Examples of women in this category include our Former First Lady, Michelle Obama, and Sheryl Sandberg. The Innovators include our Millennials or Generation Y. Examples here include Danica Patrick and Lady Gaga. Part two covers where we are when it comes to leadership. The two issues discussed here are how women continue to hold each other back, and the importance of the role of men. These are issues many women mentioned as critical to our upward momentum. Part three of Anne Doyle's book delves into the seven steps achievers need to take in order to break into leadership positions. These steps are as follows: Discover Your Purpose; Raise Your Voice; Break the Rules; Claim Power; Drink at Dangerous Waters; Get Back in the Saddle; and Womaninity. Each step is given its own chapter for proper discussion and explanation.

For this book, Anne Doyle draws from her own personal experiences, as well as from the experiences of the plethora of women she has interviewed over time - 125 women, to be exact, by the end of her original field research. It had become Anne's mission to pass along the insight gained about becoming effective leaders - insight that women can only gain from one another. Anne begins each chapter with a quote, and ends with a bullet point summary of what the reader should have picked up through the reading. She offers personal tips, whether from herself or others, and provides outside resources to expand our knowledge, such as the names of other books that would be helpful to us along our journey. She really took the time to make this book more than just your typical leadership manual. It is my opinion that she created something really special here - a call to action that I hope is answered.

Powering Up! is not only an insightful look into how far we have already come as women achievers, but also how far we still need to go as leaders. I found this book to be both sobering and inspirational at the same time. I was shocked when i read that, compared to other developed countries, the United States in 2016 ranked 46th out of 144 nations in reference to the Global Gender Gap Index. In relation to the percentage of women in national elected office, the United States ranks 73rd. There is light at the end of the tunnel, though, and Anne Doyle has provided us with some of the tools necessary to reach that light. This motivational and easy to read book is not to be stacked in your library to gather dust. It is to be kept in your tool box, where you can access it easily and often.

One of the things I like most about this book, is the picture of equality that is painted of all women. Oftentimes, I will read a leadership article or other text that down plays women who stay at home for years before returning to the work force, as if prioritizing family is a bad thing, when it truly is not. Or, I will read something that does not shine a positive light on women of a certain age, appearance, or political affiliation. Anne Doyle seems an advocate and ally of all women, and she in fact encourages us to work together in the work force, rather than viewing each other as competition. She stresses that, when one of us rises, we all rise. Another little facet of this book that I enjoyed was the list of movies about women towards the back, amongst the acknowledgements and endnotes. It is quite a comprehensive list, and I look forward to watching and re-watching some of those included in the list.

There are a ton of leadership books on the market today. What makes this particular book different, is simply that it is not written by a man. Nor is it based on the experiences and values of a man. Women should no longer model themselves and their leadership styles after men, at least not if we want to finally tap into our full leadership potential. Anne Doyle's timely book inspires women to think bigger than the individual self. The stories included are memorable, and the messages powerful. I thoroughly enjoyed the upbeat and honest words of Anne Doyle, and have no problem rating this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to those aspiring women who have the ambition to take the next steps into leadership, and for the men who wish to support and understand these aspiring women. Powering Up! would also make a great graduation gift for both our sons and our daughters. I hope you will add this book to your tool box, and join others in powering up!

POWERING UP! 3rd Edition (released Sept. 2017)
View: on Bookshelves

Like Christina Rose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I appreciate the fact that she encourages women to work together rather than compete. At this moment, though, I am not looking to be a leader. This sounds inspirational, but I'm going to pass for now. Thanks for another great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Great read for young girls coming up...I would have loved to meet Anne Doyle in person! Representing womanhood in all its glory! Lovely review!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Your review left me feeling "powered up!" What appeals to me most about this book is the fact that it seeks to include women of all demographics. It's been added to my to-read list with immediate effect.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Christina Rose wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 08:12 I was shocked when i read that, compared to other developed countries, the United States in 2016 ranked 46th out of 144 nations in reference to the Global Gender Gap Index. In relation to the percentage of women in national elected office, the United States ranks 73rd.
Wow, ditto on the shock value! I had a pretty firm grasp on many European nations surpassing us but 46!? For shame, America, for shame! :snooty:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

A good book I guess!. A book about women by a woman seems a great and honest read. Interviewing 125 women is no easy feat and it shows that the author did her homework in all earnest. Thanks for the good review; it is comprehensive and intriguing too.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 15:18 I appreciate the fact that she encourages women to work together rather than compete. At this moment, though, I am not looking to be a leader. This sounds inspirational, but I'm going to pass for now. Thanks for another great review.
Thank you. I really appreciated the encouragement, as well. All too often, women in the workplace, especially those trying to break into leadership positions, work against - rather than with - each other to accomplish their goals. Maybe, once women in leadership are a bit more commonplace, there won’t be such a battle.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

prettysmart wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 15:26 Great read for young girls coming up...I would have loved to meet Anne Doyle in person! Representing womanhood in all its glory! Lovely review!
I agree. I think I’m going to purchase a physical copy for my daughter as a graduation gift in a couple of years. If I happen to hear about any book signings nearby before then, that would make it even better. Thank you. :)
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 17:05 Your review left me feeling "powered up!" What appeals to me most about this book is the fact that it seeks to include women of all demographics. It's been added to my to-read list with immediate effect.
Thank you. :) I really appreciated that factor, as well. This is probably the first leadership and motivational book that made me feel completely included. I hope you enjoy the book when you get the chance to read it.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

NL Hartje wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 19:43
Christina Rose wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 08:12 I was shocked when i read that, compared to other developed countries, the United States in 2016 ranked 46th out of 144 nations in reference to the Global Gender Gap Index. In relation to the percentage of women in national elected office, the United States ranks 73rd.
Wow, ditto on the shock value! I had a pretty firm grasp on many European nations surpassing us but 46!? For shame, America, for shame! :snooty:
Yes! Hopefully we are on a road to changing these statistics.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Al Chakauya wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 05:39 A good book I guess!. A book about women by a woman seems a great and honest read. Interviewing 125 women is no easy feat and it shows that the author did her homework in all earnest. Thanks for the good review; it is comprehensive and intriguing too.
The author definitely worked hard on this book, and it has paid off, in my opinion. Thank you.
JJNP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnp.html
Latest Review: The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by JJNP »

Good empowerment. It is hard to be strong sometimes, but as a woman in business, you have to be strong, tough. This book obviously had a lot of research and effort behind it, which is admirable.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

JJNP wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 14:18 Good empowerment. It is hard to be strong sometimes, but as a woman in business, you have to be strong, tough. This book obviously had a lot of research and effort behind it, which is admirable.
Thank you. The author definitely put in a lot of time and effort when researching and writing this book.
Suzy1611
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Suzy1611 »

The book is divided into three parts and then some more. The first part words of wisdom from her Father. Values leading to the steps that it takes to achieve leadership. The review mentions influential women. It has even more details that are explained. The review is POWERFUL. Thanks for the very good review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”