Official Review: Parenting Errors by Dr. Kerby T. Alvy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Official Review: Parenting Errors by Dr. Kerby T. Alvy

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Parenting Errors" by Dr. Kerby T. Alvy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Kerby T. Alvy is the founder of the Center for the Improvement of Child Caring. His Parenting Errors: How to Solve Them presents parents with a variety of parenting programs as they search for answers in becoming better parents. Alvy’s main goals are to help parents solve and correct their parenting errors, as well as helping them become more effective parents. Often, parents do not realize that they are making errors, so Alvy helps them to recognize such errors.

Parenting Errors includes a detailed overview of the types of errors parents make. Errors of commission and omission are discussed. The types of care parents need to provide children are explained in detail, from the obvious ones, like providing food, to the not so obvious ones, like protecting them from social harm. Alvy introduces many concepts, giving parents detailed information about why they should want to fix their errors. He shares information about positive parenting and the authoritative style of parenting. The distinct types of parenting programs that effectively address effective parenting are discussed. Several parenting programs are described in detail, including ones that most parents are familiar with (STEP- Systematic Training for Effective Parenting) and some less well-known programs (Total Transformation Program).

The book’s format includes a detailed “Table of Contents,” which allows parents to easily access information when they want to refresh their memory about a specific tool or program. I found this very helpful, as I would read a detail and want to go back to compare it to a program discussed earlier in the book. I liked that the explanations were in a vernacular that most people can understand. Links are provided to the various websites connected with the programs, which allows parents to have immediate access rather than taking the “I’ll look for that later” attitude.

A major issue that I had was that part of what Alvy calls psychological caring includes “orienting them to appropriate gender functioning.” I was so shocked to see this phrase, without any explanation. One can only infer, with the use of the word “appropriate,” that the author was indicating that children who say that they are a different gender than what is expected traditionally are “wrong” and need help from their parents to be properly oriented.

A minor issue that I found with the book was the lack of a chart or spreadsheet listing the various programs. I found myself wanting to compare the programs side-by-side. I wanted to know what was the same and what was different in the various programs. I also wanted to see the pros and cons of each, as I think that would parents in their decision making, in chart format.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The book is well-formatted and easy to follow. The grammar errors were minimal (3 errors in the book), so were not distracting. Parents that are seeking fresh solutions to parenting will find Parenting Errors useful.

Parenting Errors
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CatInTheHat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a great book for anyone with children or who deal with children. I don't fit into either of those categories, so I'm going to skip it. Thanks, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

A thoroughly educational material for those who are currently parenting or on the verge of parenting. Lovely review!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I think this book has lot to offer after all children are the most important source in this whole word. A good generation, a generation drowned with humanity is very difficult to find. Lot crime issues is a result of broken homes. I think this book will help to fix a lot problems not only at home but for the society as well. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Do you think this book suggests being too involved with your children and not giving them space to grow as individuals? So many parenting books I read insist that things like starting chores from a young age or giving children space when they are crying to see if they can calm themselves down are practically abuse. However, providing every little thing for children and not allowing them to learn skills such as resourcefulness and self-control definitely seems to cause issues when they grow up and can't do anything for themselves. I wonder if this book suggests a more balanced approach?
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Interesting review, thanks. I'm glad you raised your concern about 'appropriate gender functioning'. One thing I think is odd, is that I get the idea the author approves of the positive rather than the authoritarian approach, so don't you think it odd that the title focuses on parent errors? :)
Ida123
Currently Reading: WHO TOLD YOU THAT YOU WERE NAKED?
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B074WHDFCD

Post by Ida123 »

Not a mother yet but very helpful for my sister!!! :lol:
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Libs_Books wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 13:30 Interesting review, thanks. I'm glad you raised your concern about 'appropriate gender functioning'. One thing I think is odd, is that I get the idea the author approves of the positive rather than the authoritarian approach, so don't you think it odd that the title focuses on parent errors? :)
There is some focus at the beginning of the book on fixing errors already made.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

Parenting books are tricky because every child needs something different. My own two children are very different and using the exact same approach to parenting with each of them wouldn't work because they have different needs. I find myself interested in parenting books whenever I come across them because I can generally find at least one idea to incorporate. But I think I'll have to pass on this one as the "appropriate gender functioning" does make me uncomfortable.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

As someone with children- I do not read parenting books. My poor kids, haha. I just throw at them the same crazy my parents threw at me and hope for the best :lol2:

This gent certainly seems to have it figured out though!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

katiesquilts wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 22:50 Do you think this book suggests being too involved with your children and not giving them space to grow as individuals? So many parenting books I read insist that things like starting chores from a young age or giving children space when they are crying to see if they can calm themselves down are practically abuse. However, providing every little thing for children and not allowing them to learn skills such as resourcefulness and self-control definitely seems to cause issues when they grow up and can't do anything for themselves. I wonder if this book suggests a more balanced approach?
The book actually gives an overview of different positive parenting approaches. I didn't see anything negative in regards to chores too early or making them cry it out. It showed how different programs are developmentally appropriate at different stages.
Bomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bomisope.html
Latest Review: God Versus The Idea of God by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by Bomisope »

Great review. I'm a mother, and I love reading books on parenting. This should be great.
Bola3299
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bola3299 »

Kids with different characters you cannot compare one to another because they all different and unique in their on ways, being a mother of 4 I've tried to know how to handle each one of them. Even their dad. haha.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Bola3299 wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 09:35 Kids with different characters you cannot compare one to another because they all different and unique in their on ways, being a mother of 4 I've tried to know how to handle each one of them. Even their dad. haha.
This author did not suggest comparing one's kids. He gave an overview of various positive parenting approaches.
Anita_Gatson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anita-gatson.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Anita_Gatson »

Thank you for your thorough review. Over several years I've worked with many children from pre-school to 18. Although having to be a part of many training sessions as part of job descriptions I've never been a fan of "parenting books" because I feel that others can only offer suggestions and opinions on how to deal with behavioral and other issues children have. I'm not aware of any proof that "parenting books" have shown to be helpful in any area of a child's upbringing.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”