Official Review: Parenting Errors by Dr. Kerby T. Alvy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Re: Official Review: Parenting Errors by Dr. Kerby T. Alvy

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Anita_Gatson wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 17:13 Thank you for your thorough review. Over several years I've worked with many children from pre-school to 18. Although having to be a part of many training sessions as part of job descriptions I've never been a fan of "parenting books" because I feel that others can only offer suggestions and opinions on how to deal with behavioral and other issues children have. I'm not aware of any proof that "parenting books" have shown to be helpful in any area of a child's upbringing.
He gives an overview of many programs that parents can choose from and then attend the parenting classes to learn about the program works. Support is given to the parents attending the classes.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
SpiderDreamer1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SpiderDreamer1 »

This sounds interesting if a bit outdated in some respects (the gender comment). What are some other areas that you feel could use a tad more of an enlightened touch?
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

SpiderDreamer1 wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 20:22 This sounds interesting if a bit outdated in some respects (the gender comment). What are some other areas that you feel could use a tad more of an enlightened touch?
Most of it is actually relevant to today's world. The programs discussed all focus on positive parenting. Physical punishment is taboo in all of the programs. That is a major reason that I was shocked by the gender comment. One of the things I really liked is that it reminds parents that they aren't perfect and it's never too late to fix their errors.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I'm not a mom, so this book will not be for me. When you mentioned the "appropriate gender functioning," I went quickly to Amazon to see when the book was actually published: 2017. That's incredible. To use a well-worn cliche, in this time and age, this should not be happening.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

kislany wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 01:16 I'm not a mom, so this book will not be for me. When you mentioned the "appropriate gender functioning," I went quickly to Amazon to see when the book was actually published: 2017. That's incredible. To use a well-worn cliche, in this time and age, this should not be happening.
I had a difficult time getting past it. It was the opposite of the rest of the book.
Mildred Stallworth
Favorite Author: Mildred Stallworth
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 98313
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Effective Leaders and Leadership

Post by Mildred Stallworth »

Nowadays, children are so different but it's good to read different material on parenting. But as for me, I find that each child has their own personality. I also find being the authoritative figure in the home to children as they grow up is the best parenting approach. If the training and teachings that our moms and dads worked for us, it can work for our children. I believe there are many positives in this book that will help clear up some of the parenting errors. Thanks for a thorough and honest review!
Moha+
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Moha+ »

Parental Errors by Dr Kerby T. Alvy is a great review to me personally as i remember the kind of parental errors i had gone through. While the book is teaching about being helpful in the field of child upbringing. Many thanks to the author of this book PARENTAL ERRORS.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I think with any book designed to help us navigate parts of life, the reader will take away points they agree with and points they don't agree with. If one can find some useful information in here on even one topic, it's probably worth the read. Thanks for the review.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Appropriate gender functioning? Are we talking balls vs bows here? What a disturbing phrase.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

CommMayo wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 16:10 Appropriate gender functioning? Are we talking balls vs bows here? What a disturbing phrase.
It was very disturbing. It was also surprising as it didn't really fit the rest of what the author expressed.
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

“Appropriate gender functioning” - oof! Glad you raised it - it only goes to show that there’s still so much determination to make young people conform, regardless of the damage it might do. Thanks for highlighting it - it sounds like it’s a small blip in an otherwise good book
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

Is there really any correct parenting method? The same method with different children might show drastically different results. I wonder, does this book properly address this issue?
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

qsusan wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 13:33 Is there really any correct parenting method? The same method with different children might show drastically different results. I wonder, does this book properly address this issue?
The book gives an overview of a variety of different methods. The focus is on positive approaches as that is better for a child's mental health.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

I like your suggestion for a comparison chart. Maybe the author can incorporate that in the future. It's great that he includes explanations for why a particular strategy should be incorporated, not just a how-to.

I have never seen a book with links in it other than for the author's website but that actually is a wonderful tool that can be incorporated into e-books. I agree that it would deter parents from having that "I'll check it out later" mentality where they will completely forget about it.

Great review. Do you think this book is appropriate for care-givers as well as parents?
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

kfwilson6 wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 14:19 I like your suggestion for a comparison chart. Maybe the author can incorporate that in the future. It's great that he includes explanations for why a particular strategy should be incorporated, not just a how-to.

I have never seen a book with links in it other than for the author's website but that actually is a wonderful tool that can be incorporated into e-books. I agree that it would deter parents from having that "I'll check it out later" mentality where they will completely forget about it.

Great review. Do you think this book is appropriate for care-givers as well as parents?
I wouldn't recommend it to caregivers as the parents should be choosing their overall philosophy and system, and then passing it on to the caregivers.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”