Official Review: He Could Make Words Sing by David Greene

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Official Review: He Could Make Words Sing by David Greene

Post by ayoomisope »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "He Could Make Words Sing" by David Greene.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

He Could Make Words Sing is a biography of Harry Greissman penned by David Greene. The book narrates Harry’s experiences during the twentieth century. It explores critical social issues of his time: racial prejudice, antisemitism, war, tyranny, and revolutions.

Harry Greissman’s growing years are during the Great Depression. The economic hardship is so grave that his entire family has to sacrifice for his education. In addition, they are subject to immense difficulty and antisemitism due to their Jewish origins. Harry is exceptionally gifted; he is a scholar, athlete, and leader. More so, he is fluent in seven languages which include German and Spanish. In 1937, fresh out of college, Harry faces life-changing events and the looming world war. In the long run, he and his brothers are drafted into the army. He happens to become a military interpreter.

In 1943, Harry is stationed near Raleigh where he meets and falls in love with Anne Hetrick. She believes Harry “could make words sing,” an ability he exhibits in the many beautifully crafted letters to her over a period of 40 years. He later becomes a forward observer (one of the military’s most dangerous jobs) in the Battle of the Bulge with the 78th Division. However, during his time in the war, Harry and Anne get separated because of her apprehension about their religious differences. Harry proceeds to marry Iris Resnick, and together they have three kids. He is discharged from the army in 1946. Although he wants to be a sports journalist, he instead becomes an ad man (who would later work on some of the accounts depicted on Mad Men) at Vick International. Additionally, he begins to teach advertising and marketing at Baruch College and Fordham University’s School of Business.

The book analyzes the impact of the social issues of the twentieth century, and how the same topics still affect the world today. From racial discrimination to immigration laws and border control, it is intriguing how individuals’ lives are forever changed by factors beyond their control. For instance, the attack on Pearl Harbour claims over 2000 lives and precipitates United States' entry into World War II. Be that as it may, it profoundly transforms the American economy. This improves the financial circumstances of Americans. The Great Depression ends, and by the conclusion of the war, more than half of all industrial production in the world takes place in America.

I appreciate how the book raises many important social questions and attempts to resolve them. Furthermore, I am fascinated with the level of research carried out by the author. He carefully cites references and includes illustrations to deepen the understanding of the narrative. Additionally, Harry’s stories are wonderfully woven into the discussions on social issues. Most importantly, the samples of Harry’s letters are the highlights of the book.

What I least appreciate is the use of profanity in the book (although there are only four instances present). In addition, the author claims, “Back in the 1940s, however, there was no PTSD. Veterans suffered from battle fatigue.” Contrarily, there is evidence to highlight the impact of symptoms of PTSD on soldiers even before World War I (https://goo.gl/gnsKJA).

Nevertheless, I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It is thoroughly enjoyable despite the drawbacks. I think this book will appeal to anybody who loves biographies and non-fiction stories.

He Could Make Words Sing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ayoomisope's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm really not into biographies, so it has to be something really special to make me read it. While this one sounds interesting, I just don't think I would enjoy it. I appreciate your lovely review, though! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Great review! I like how you touch on the prevailing idea that PTSD wasn't really acknowledged until post WWII. Kind of like my grandmother telling my mom that menopause didn't exist for her generation. Just because it wasn't identified as such doesn't mean people didn't experience it!
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

kandscreeley wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 08:15 I'm really not into biographies, so it has to be something really special to make me read it. While this one sounds interesting, I just don't think I would enjoy it. I appreciate your lovely review, though! Thanks.
I don't really enjoy biographies myself, but I really enjoyed this one. I, especially, enjoyed the first half of the book but not the second. The first depicts Harry's childhood and war experiences. I never knew the second would go into his family life after the war. It's like two stories in one.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

CommMayo wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 09:39 Great review! I like how you touch on the prevailing idea that PTSD wasn't really acknowledged until post WWII. Kind of like my grandmother telling my mom that menopause didn't exist for her generation. Just because it wasn't identified as such doesn't mean people didn't experience it!
Thanks for the comment. I totally agree. Funny though that your grandmother thought that way. However, I can relate to this. I come from a country where a lot of people (especially the baby boomer generation) believe many unbelievable superstitions.
― Charles William Eliot
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I like biographies there is always something to contribute. Different people have different experiences so it is always worth checking it out! Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I'd rather read an autobiography than a biography, but then again, I wouldn't mind if the story was extra special. While this book seems interesting, I don't think it piques my interest enough to read it. Thanks for the detailed review, though!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Biographies are rather phlegmatic for me but this awesome review will definitely nudge me to check it out!
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

Vickie Noel wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 13:13 I'd rather read an autobiography than a biography, but then again, I wouldn't mind if the story was extra special. While this book seems interesting, I don't think it piques my interest enough to read it. Thanks for the detailed review, though!
Thanks for the comment. I understand your personal preference. This could have been an autobiography, but Harry Greissman was a man who never liked to talk about his experiences during the war (let alone write about it). The author, David Greene (his son-in-law), felt it was absolutely necessary to write about him. He went all the way in making sure he got Harry's story out.
― Charles William Eliot
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

prettysmart wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 13:57 Biographies are rather phlegmatic for me but this awesome review will definitely nudge me to check it out!
Thanks for the comment. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
― Charles William Eliot
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 20:07 I like biographies there is always something to contribute. Different people have different experiences so it is always worth checking it out! Thank you!
Thanks for your comment. However, I would love to know what you feel about reading an autobiography compared to a biography.
― Charles William Eliot
stedape
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stedape.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by stedape »

Nice review. Not sure biographies are my thing either. I don't think I will read this.
Bomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bomisope.html
Latest Review: God Versus The Idea of God by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by Bomisope »

ayoomisope wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 18:43
Sahani Nimandra wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 20:07 I like biographies there is always something to contribute. Different people have different experiences so it is always worth checking it out! Thank you!
Thanks for your comment. However, I would love to know what you feel about reading an autobiography compared to a biography.
Your review was easy to follow. I don't think I like biographies though. I prefer to see them in movies. Also, I agree that PTSD is real
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

stedape wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 16:48 Nice review. Not sure biographies are my thing either. I don't think I will read this.
Thanks for your review. However, I hope you get to come your mind.
― Charles William Eliot
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

@bomisope. I love watching this movies too. They can be quite entertaining.
― Charles William Eliot

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”