Official Review: Making Your Net Work by Melissa G Wilson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Making Your Net Work by Melissa G Wilson

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Making Your Net Work" by Melissa G Wilson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Billy Dexter a managing partner at Heidrick & Struggles and Melissa G. Wilson, president of Networlding and Networlding Publishing Inc. have written a superb book that demystifies the art and science of networking. In a world rocked by all forms of communication with a sharp advent in the use of social media, the book Making your Net Work contains invaluable information on a subject that is particularly important for career and business growth.

While reading the book, I learned so much and got so much helpful information that it is difficult to point out everything useful contained in Making your Net Work. Still, I will make an effort of doing so. In the book, Dexter and Wilson take the reader through the important components of networking, the process of networking, how someone should approach networking, what to look out for and what to offer back to the other party while networking.

They explain why so many get it wrong and how many people also approach the topic with a selfish goal in mind. They emphasize that the ultimate goal of networking should be to offer help to others while inspiring or motivating them. The drive to get to know people should not be fuelled only by what we can gain from having an encounter with them.

There are many facets of the book that I liked. First were the authors’ personal stories. These gave me a deeper understanding of the lessons in the book and how I can apply them in my own life. The stories were informative, emotional and inspiring. Second were the infographics, the questionnaires and the guiding steps towards particular goals. Thirdly, the message contained in Making your Net Work was very practical to me and is also very applicable in today’s world. As discussed in the book, most of my interactions with people leave me feeling that I have given something away having gotten very little or even nothing in return. Other times my sole purpose for networking is to advance my career. Now that I have read the book, I have a different perspective of how to effectively network.

Even so, I would have loved that both authors contribute almost equally to the content of Making your Net Work. I felt that there was an imbalance with Billy Dexter’s voice been more audible. I would have liked to learn much more from Melissa G. Wilson. Overall, the book’s content is inspiring, thought-provoking and incredibly impactful. It helped me identify possible networking opportunities, how to grow them and also maintain them. The book undoubtedly is invaluable and therefore I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Making Your Net Work
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

Thanks for your amazing review. There's a lot to learn about networking in this book. The stories about the authors are inspiring.
JJNP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnp.html
Latest Review: The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by JJNP »

This is an interesting book, and I may read it, based on your review. Thank you.
Kiboko1
Currently Reading: To Kill a Mockingbird
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Kiboko1 »

Kudos! your review is of high end quality. Generaly am a person who loves to read historical fiction, But then if i feel a book has a great motivation in my day to day life i can always give it a go to read it.sounds like a good book.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you were able to learn from this book. I admit, I don't do as much networking as I probably should. This would be a good book to pick up to see how I can expand my network. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

Having read a lot of less-than-helpful self-help books, I'm pleased to hear that this one gave actual advice! Thank you for your openness and telling us how you personally benefited from this book! I was a little bit confused by your last paragraph: did you mean to say that Billy Dexter contributed too much and Melissa G. Wilson not enough? Thank you for reading and reviewing this one!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I like the double entendre in the title, it's a catchy way to gain interest. Thanks for this review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Honeybeetle
Currently Reading: Snow Crash
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybeetle.html
Latest Review: Loving Well, The Key To Satisfying and Joyful Relationships by Erin K Leonard (Dr Erin Leonard)

Post by Honeybeetle »

I'm awful at networking. You make this book sound like a good time investment for the advice it has. Thanks for the thorough review!
Holler about books on Twitter with me @DextroColeo! :techie-studyinggray:
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

...the ultimate goal of networking should be to offer help to others while inspiring or motivating them
That's a really great message to get across, so thank you for bringing this book to my attention. It sounds as though it could be really useful in a variety of contexts.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”