Official Review: Warren's Finest by Danny Range

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Re: Official Review: Warren's Finest by Danny Range

Post by CommMayo »

inaramid wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 20:27 The fact that you are giving this a 4-star rating despite the formatting issues must mean that it's pretty good. It's a pretty dark subject matter for me, but it sounds like it's definitely worth a try. Thanks for this review!
Haha, have I so quickly gotten a reputation for being a total hard ass on reviews :twisted:
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

The drug use is heavy, the language is profane, and the point of view is invaluable for anyone who is looking to understand what an addict is struggling with as they habitually abuse their bodies and minds. This is not a book for the shrinking violet or the easily offended. This is a book for anyone who is struggling with addiction, in recovery, or who cares about someone in the grips of drug addiction. I give Warren’s Finest 4 out of 4 stars. Everyone has something to learn by reading this book.
Thanks for this excellent review, but this is not my cup of tea. I am in trauma of drugs, and drug addicts. I prefer any other genres, no matter how boring, as long as it's free from anything related to drugs.

This is a great bend, mind you. You didn't mention any grammatical error, but the random capitalization, bold and italicized fonts are really annoying. 👀 What you did is a combination of track and field with hurdles and crawls.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

CommMayo wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 15:22
Sahani Nimandra wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 07:49 I think this book may provide inside information about the hard life of a drug addict and how did he end up in that. What is with the multiple fonts and bolding words? As you mentioned that the author has used it to emphasize, don't you think it's good? If it is not, then how so? Thanks for the review, I think I will enjoy this book.
I understand that the author was trying to show emphasis with his font choices, however it was just distracting. One page could have text that was normal, bold, ALL CAPPS, BOLD ALL CAPS, italics, larger font in italics, completely different font, bold, and in italics.

Visually, it was like a Rorschach test and made the book seem a bit unpolished. It took away from the great writing because it was so distracting. The words should speak for themselves without needing excessive formatting changes for emphasis.
Oh jeez. D: That would drive me crazy. I hope a later edition of the book is a little less formatting-happy, because the story itself sounds really interesting.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Wow, this book sounds a little too dark and intense for me to read, but I admire the author’s attempt to try and set an example for others struggling with similar problems.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

CommMayo wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 12:27
inaramid wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 20:27 The fact that you are giving this a 4-star rating despite the formatting issues must mean that it's pretty good. It's a pretty dark subject matter for me, but it sounds like it's definitely worth a try. Thanks for this review!
Haha, have I so quickly gotten a reputation for being a total hard ass on reviews :twisted:
Well, when was the last time you gave a book 4 stars...? :D
Essentially_Literate
Favorite Book: Beastly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essentially-literate.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Essentially_Literate »

Great review! The font issue would drive me absolutely crazy too. The book sounds interesting though. Maybe I'll check it out sometime!
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

inaramid wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 22:03
CommMayo wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 12:27
Well, when was the last time you gave a book 4 stars...? :D
Ahhhh, that would be never...

...point taken!
Marylynn
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylynn.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Post by Marylynn »

So many of the readers will relate to addiction, if not from personal experience then from family and friends. Good to know that you enjoyed the book. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

What a bold and apt review, CommMayo. You surely did not mince words. In keeping with the situational jargon, the book really needs to be profane in its language and lewd in its dialogues, so much so that addicts are people who have foregone decency in morals and aspirations. Thanks, I enjoyed reading your review.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Good review, I would have loved to meet this author in person. Seriously drug addict books or movies gets me every time.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

This novel explicitly puts light on adolescent issues and society's role in enhancing those problems like drug addiction, profanity etc. Thanks for this nice review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Brenda kimathi
Currently Reading: Because it is my Blood (Birthright #2)
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Brenda kimathi »

The cover,is wonderful, the review is good,and the story is a lesson to many.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

Weird, the book cover in this review does not seem to have text. Anyway, fave part of this review is your quip about usual or not usual high school hijinks.

Thanks for stopping by my review.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

There is a lot to learn from this review. The use of different fonts sizes, bold letters, and italics may give a wrong impression about the book.
That is a great and insightful review.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Cara Van Heerden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-van-heerden.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper
Reading Device: B0147LDSG0

Post by Cara Van Heerden »

Woah, this sounds like a shocking story, very eye opening.
“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.” - C.S. Lewis

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”