Official Review: Warren's Finest by Danny Range

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Official Review: Warren's Finest by Danny Range

Post by CommMayo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Warren's Finest" by Danny Range.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Warren’s Finest, by Danny Range, is a memoir on a mission. This autobiographical novel starts out with a nineteen year-old Danny in the midst of an epic binge consisting of cocaine, Xanax, beer, marijuana, and whatever other substance he managed to get his hands on that night. On the verge on an overdose, the narration switches to a forward from present-day Danny Range assuring us that he did not die that night. The novel then restarts three years prior with a self-conscious adolescent who is late for school and desperately trying to fit in every chance he gets. The reader doesn’t exactly get eased into Danny’s life as his eccentric, but loving, family and rough background are made clearly evident from the get-go.

The novel then segues into humorous accounts of your standard (or not so standard, depending on what kind of student you were in high school) student hijinks as the routine torture of a meek teacher and youthful drunken escapades are detailed. Danny’s anxious desire to fit in with the students at his elite Christian high school compels him to pull off the party to end all parties right under his mother’s nose. Danny Legend is born during that night of complete mayhem and debauchery, leading him down the regrettable path of progressively harder drugs and poorer decisions. You ride along with him as he battles his personal demons and lets you fully understand how an addict rationalizes their actions.

From the outset, it is made clear that this book is a cautionary tale for those with a proclivity for substance abuse and for the people in their lives. Range’s writing style puts you directly in the mindset of someone who is snorting ecstasy, doing coke of a woman’s behind mid-coitus, and having a panic attack in the middle of tripping on mushrooms. As an author, he is extremely engaging and laugh out loud entertaining if you are not the type who is easily offended by depictions of gnarly situations. Range is a very intelligent writer because he knows that his personal story needs to grab the reader so they get to the part where it becomes a tale of redemption. Conversations are very fluid, believable, and full of drug slang. If you have no familiarity with drug culture or its jargon, Range does an amazing job of explaining terms, the intricacies of ingesting different substances, and the relationship between dealers and fellow users.

The only aspect of this book that I did not like was the continuous use of multiple fonts, bolding of words, and capitalization used for emphasis. That formatting choice is the only thing that would let a reader know that this book didn’t come from a major publishing house. If tasked to be extra critical, I would suggest that some of the marathon-length paragraphs be pared down and asides to the reader be handled differently in the body of the text. At some points, it almost sounds like Range is trying to sell you something to achieve the same salvation that he did; alas, it is just his exuberance showing through.

The drug use is heavy, the language is profane, and the point of view is invaluable for anyone who is looking to understand what an addict is struggling with as they habitually abuse their bodies and minds. This is not a book for the shrinking violet or the easily offended. This is a book for anyone who is struggling with addiction, in recovery, or who cares about someone in the grips of drug addiction. I give Warren’s Finest 4 out of 4 stars. Everyone has something to learn by reading this book.

Warren's Finest
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CommMayo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I always admire authors bold enough to share personal experiences, however negative they may be. Growing up must have been pretty tough on Danny, especially with that fervent desire to fit in. Most times, it leads to wrong associations and poor decisions. So glad he was able to pull through while providing practical examples of how the drug-induced mind works. Thanks for the enlightening review. Please make out time to share your thoughts on mine, I'd really love that.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I think this book may provide inside information about the hard life of a drug addict and how did he end up in that. What is with the multiple fonts and bolding words? As you mentioned that the author has used it to emphasize, don't you think it's good? If it is not, then how so? Thanks for the review, I think I will enjoy this book.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The author's story certainly sounds interesting. However, I don't think this book is my cup of tea due to the crazy long paragraphs. Glad you enjoyed the book. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think it'd be good to get a sense of how someone goes to being addicted to drugs and alcohol. Glad the author was able to share with us. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 07:49 I think this book may provide inside information about the hard life of a drug addict and how did he end up in that. What is with the multiple fonts and bolding words? As you mentioned that the author has used it to emphasize, don't you think it's good? If it is not, then how so? Thanks for the review, I think I will enjoy this book.
I understand that the author was trying to show emphasis with his font choices, however it was just distracting. One page could have text that was normal, bold, ALL CAPPS, BOLD ALL CAPS, italics, larger font in italics, completely different font, bold, and in italics.

Visually, it was like a Rorschach test and made the book seem a bit unpolished. It took away from the great writing because it was so distracting. The words should speak for themselves without needing excessive formatting changes for emphasis.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

CommMayo wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 15:22
Sahani Nimandra wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 07:49 I think this book may provide inside information about the hard life of a drug addict and how did he end up in that. What is with the multiple fonts and bolding words? As you mentioned that the author has used it to emphasize, don't you think it's good? If it is not, then how so? Thanks for the review, I think I will enjoy this book.
I understand that the author was trying to show emphasis with his font choices, however it was just distracting. One page could have text that was normal, bold, ALL CAPPS, BOLD ALL CAPS, italics, larger font in italics, completely different font, bold, and in italics.

Visually, it was like a Rorschach test and made the book seem a bit unpolished. It took away from the great writing because it was so distracting. The words should speak for themselves without needing excessive formatting changes for emphasis.
Oh my! I’m laughing so hard! I understand the temptation to do that, and it can work in a blog, but your are right, it absolutely makes a book seems unprofessional.
Boydbunch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boydbunch.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Boydbunch »

Thanks for giving such a vivid review. The book sounds quite emotional and heart wrenching, yet a bit eye opening.Sounds like a book I would love to read and share with a family member struggling with her son and these issues. A little intimidated of it being full of prophanity, but understand why it is important part of the picture. Thanks for this review
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

When I saw the book's cover I thought it was a steamy romance novel! But this review definitely cleared things up for me. I must say this is bold personal story told by a very bold author. However, I feel I won't be able to relate to this story and for that reason I'll pass on this book. Great job on your review!
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The fact that you are giving this a 4-star rating despite the formatting issues must mean that it's pretty good. It's a pretty dark subject matter for me, but it sounds like it's definitely worth a try. Thanks for this review!
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

CommMayo wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 20:55 The only aspect of this book that I did not like was the continuous use of multiple fonts, bolding of words, and capitalization used for emphasis.
Ooh man, that might mess with my eyes a bit too much! Thanks for the heads up! 8)
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

CommMayo wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 15:22

Wow :shock: now I get it! Yeshi!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Elineserah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Elineserah »

Great book it is..ijust Admire the Authors courage to share this life experience infact with others who have been through this..iwill enjoy this book.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Addiction is real and widespread in our society today. It can no longer be ignored, but should be confronted. I am glad the author has had the courage to put pen to paper. i salute his courage. Thanks for warning us shrinking violets about the book. We can point people dealing with addiction issues, or their families and friends in this direction though. Awesome review! Well done!
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Sounds intense. I think I need to read this one. Thank you for a wonderful review! :)
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”