Official Review: Gunner and Land Girl by Steve Orwin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Official Review: Gunner and Land Girl by Steve Orwin

Post by ayoomisope »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gunner and Land Girl" by Steve Orwin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many books have been written about the Second World War; ranging from autobiographies to fictional stories. Nonetheless, Gunner and Land Girl by Steve Orwin is an outstanding first-person narrative that provides the personal accounts of the author’s parents (Bob and Connie) during the war.

In the introduction, we learn that Bob and Connie meet at work (in a shipyard). They get to know each other well in the eighteen months before the war starts. They then get engaged but eventually separated by the war. Bob becomes a gunner while Connie becomes a land girl.

The book itself is divided into two parts. Part one tells Connie’s story. Her account is a series of observations and comments about life in and around a Dale farm. The Dale farm helps to support the food requirements during the war. Her work is male-dominated, however, she resolves to earn their respect both as a woman and as a worker. She has to endure harsh working conditions, nevertheless, she is a country lover. After Bob is demobbed, she quits to start a life with him.

Part two tells Bob’s story. His story is a more historical account of his career during the war. Shortly after getting engaged to Connie, he is mobilized by the army. The war affords him the opportunity of joining the D.E.M.S. (Defense Equipment Merchant Ships) to serve on trawlers, tankers and general cargo ships. He gets to move around the world a lot while being drafted to different ships. After six years of active service, he is demobbed and settles down for a peaceful life with Connie.

The book seems like a collection of memoirs that tell two separate tales with short stories. I appreciate how the book provides insight into private lives during the war. Furthermore, some quotes from the book are spot on, such as, “For a short while, we could forget the past, ignore the future, and enjoy the luxury of comparative peace and idleness.” Above all, I appreciate the message of the book: a sense of duty and service to country and commitment to one another.

The book is professionally edited, and there are just a few grammatical errors. What I least appreciate about the book is that Connie is scarcely mentioned in Bob’s account. In fact, she is not referred to until the last chapter. In addition, some of the chapters are rather short. It would have been more constructive if they were merged into bordering chapters.

I give the book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I think this book will appeal to anybody who loves biographies and non-fiction stories.

Gunner and Land Girl
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ayoomisope's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like there's a lot to enjoy about this book. I have to be in the right mood for memoirs, so I think I'll pass on this one. I am, though, interested in that time period. So, I may consider this one in the future. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

kandscreeley wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 08:56 It sounds like there's a lot to enjoy about this book. I have to be in the right mood for memoirs, so I think I'll pass on this one. I am, though, interested in that time period. So, I may consider this one in the future. Thanks for the information.
I totally agree. After a long reading session, I found some portions of the book tiresome. This is especially complicated with technical sailor's terms in Bob's stories and local British English expressions (I guess?) I couldn't comprehend in Connie's stories.

Nevertheless, the message of the book is really strong and captivating.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

Bob and Connie sound like people I'd respect, but from your review it sounds like perhaps someone else should have written their stories? Thank you for the thorough review!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I like the idea of the story been told in two perspectives, his side and hers. I really like the genre of memoir and non-fiction, so definitely in my list. The errors are fine even though perfection is important in a good book. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Wow this sounds so interesting! It is definitely a book I would read. I'm a huge fan of biographies especially ones that are rich in history. Thanks for your great review!
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

KFree_Reads wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 21:26 Wow this sounds so interesting! It is definitely a book I would read. I'm a huge fan of biographies especially ones that are rich in history. Thanks for your great review!
Thanks for the reply. The book is rich in descriptions of events and scenery. In addition, I saw the movie Dunkirk recently and I love how the book touches on that particular event (Bob was in France and he experienced Dunkirk firsthand)
― Charles William Eliot
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

Jkhorner wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 17:18 Bob and Connie sound like people I'd respect, but from your review it sounds like perhaps someone else should have written their stories? Thank you for the thorough review!
Maybe not. I prefer firsthand accounts of events, history or a person's life; I believe the story would always be more detailed. This book surely offers VERY detailed experiences.
― Charles William Eliot
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 20:43 I like the idea of the story been told in two perspectives, his side and hers. I really like the genre of memoir and non-fiction, so definitely in my list. The errors are fine even though perfection is important in a good book. Thank you for your review!
I agree. The errors aren't great. The problem for me was probably the fact that I expected an action-filled biography. The book offers very little on that front but excels in storytelling and characterization.
― Charles William Eliot
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

ayoomisope wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 00:37
KFree_Reads wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 21:26 Wow this sounds so interesting! It is definitely a book I would read. I'm a huge fan of biographies especially ones that are rich in history. Thanks for your great review!
Thanks for the reply. The book is rich in descriptions of events and scenery. In addition, I saw the movie Dunkirk recently and I love how the book touches on that particular event (Bob was in France and he experienced Dunkirk firsthand)
You're welcome! I have not seen that movie but I think I'll watch it so I can better understand the context of this particular story.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

@KFree_Reads, I assure you that you'll love the movie. It was directed by Christopher Nolan and it features top Hollywood actors. I guess that's where I got my new found love for war stories from. I'm currently reviewing another book based on a soldier in the Second World War -- He Could Make Words Sing by David Greene. That's another awesome book. I'll be done with the review on a few days.
― Charles William Eliot
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Not a fan of military action books or colonial times etc but your review have elevated my curiosity a bit. I just might read it. Commendable review!
stedape
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stedape.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by stedape »

Great review. Books that reference the world wars are particularly interesting.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

prettysmart wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 22:53 Not a fan of military action books or colonial times etc but your review have elevated my curiosity a bit. I just might read it. Commendable review!
Thanks for your comment. I'm a fan of military action books though.
― Charles William Eliot
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

stedape wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 19:15 Great review. Books that reference the world wars are particularly interesting.
Thanks for the comment.
― Charles William Eliot

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”