Official Review: The DIVA CHRONICLES Poetry For Your Soul

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emmanae
Currently Reading: The Power
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanae.html
Latest Review: Discover Your Thinner Self by David Medansky
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The DIVA CHRONICLES Poetry For Your Soul

Post by Emmanae »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The DIVA CHRONICLES Poetry For Your Soul" by Trina L Vaughn-The Vegas Diva.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Diva Chronicles: Poetry for Your Soul by Trina Vaughn brought tears to my eyes. So many of the poems inside spoke to me, it is truly an enriching collection. I found some of the formatting to be atypical, though with poetry I find atypical formatting adds to the experience rather than detracts. I only found one line with an error, and it was minor, and also didn’t take away from my experience.

My favorite poem out of The Diva Chronicles: Poetry for Your Soul was “Phenomenal Woman.” It made me think of my mother after she and my father had separated. For a few years, she was phenomenal, and did everything on her own. “Phenomenal Woman” tells of a woman who doesn’t need men, who is strong, smart, and proud of herself. Taking each struggle of life in stride and pushing onward to finish the tasks at hand. Like the other poems in this collection, we are encouraged to be strong, independent women.

While most of the poems aren’t race specific, there are a few specifically directed to and about the Black community. Vaughn worries in “Cultural Genocide” about crime rates within the Black community, and urges readers of color to not commit crimes against other people of color, which made me feel uncomfortable, as though Vaughn was suggesting people of color should target white people only. In “Warrior,” Vaughn uplifts the Black youth, encouraging them to earn degrees and thrive in our world. She points out that the world is a cold hard place, but that it is possible to survive and thrive if you are prepared. I don’t necessarily agree with her optimistic stance, but I hope that if youth did read this poem, it would encourage them.

I really found this collection to be uplifting. I read each poem twice, some thrice before coming to review it. Some of the poems felt like they were meant for me and only me. I think this collection would be an ideal gift for a woman going through a divorce or break-up. I thoroughly recommend it as a quick uplifting read. I could see myself reading the whole collection each night for a temporary period as a self-help of sorts.

I rate The Diva Chronicles: Poetry for Your Soul by Trina Vaughn 4 out of 4 stars. Though I found one line with minor errors, they didn’t detract from the experience, and the atypical formatting adds to the poetic reading experience. I thoroughly enjoyed all of the poems, and some touched me deeply and made me reassess some of my interactions in life. This book was excellent at motivating me to be strong and keep persevering through tribulations that may arise in life.

The DIVA CHRONICLES Poetry For Your Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Emmanae's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

This would not be a book I would go out of my way to read. However, I really liked your review of it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not in the author's head nor did I read the poem, but I'm not sure she meant that people of color should target white people. I think it's more of a don't kill anyone; it's just they are already killing each other. I don't know... Still, I appreciate your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Emmanae
Currently Reading: The Power
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanae.html
Latest Review: Discover Your Thinner Self by David Medansky
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emmanae »

kandscreeley wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 12:33 I'm not in the author's head nor did I read the poem, but I'm not sure she meant that people of color should target white people. I think it's more of a don't kill anyone; it's just they are already killing each other. I don't know... Still, I appreciate your review.

I don’t think that’s at all how it was meant. It just rubbed me the wrong way. It kept saying to not rob black people, to not murder black people, to not fight with black people. Granted, I have a lot of privilege in life so I definitely have earned that tiny bit of discomfort.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

My love for poetry exceeds all plus your exceptional review adds the icing on top for checking out this book!
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

Glad you enjoyed the book so much. I don't read poetry myself but this sounds like a great read with topics that are relevant today. Thank you for your review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”