Review by skullsandrainbows -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
skullsandrainbows
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skullsandrainbows.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Review by skullsandrainbows -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by skullsandrainbows » 20 Feb 2018, 20:01

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret is a powerful piece following the author through his life, through the various lessons he has learned. The book goes through semi chronological order of the authors life as he grows up from small town boy to big real estate and self help tycoon. He relates his story’s through lessons that were taught to him by various individuals through his life, from family members to friends to random people he came across. One of these individuals, as the title signifies, is of course Margaret, the lesson she taught him being toward the end.These little lessons can be taken from the text and used to help the reader in their own path through life.

I have got to say this reading is really inspirational. It is one of those books that stays with you after you read it. The morals and lessons from this story are general lessons that can be used in your own life, even in circumstances that are less extreme than some of the authors situations. For example, he had a hard time making his own way through the world because he lived in a small town in which everyone had basically the same life path. While the reader likely does not live in such a limited society, the theme is still applicable to the persons own life.

I came back from this reading feeling truly motivated to go out and be successful. A lot of the lessons are ones we already know, but hearing the stories to back them up only further validifies these positive ideas. This novel makes me want to go out and become my best self, one who determines my own path and makes my way graciously through life.

The book itself is written well. The individual stories flow together to make up the greater whole of the grand story. The stories themselves flow as well. It is written descriptively, but still in a manner that feels like you are sitting next to a grandparent who is just telling you about life. The characters within the story are also well described and fleshed out, especially the minor characters because they are the ones who are the main plot points through the story.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is beautifully written while still feeling easy, light and simple to process. It inspires the reader to apply the lessons that the author has learned to their own life and live life to its full potential, kind of like the author.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like skullsandrainbows's review? Post a comment saying so!

Andriettely
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Andriettely » 21 Feb 2018, 20:12

The author kept the reader in mind. The text was written with class and eloquence.

Eva Darrington
2018 Reading Goal: 18
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html
Latest Review: Death Waits at the Deot by Warren Robinson

Post by Eva Darrington » 22 Feb 2018, 00:33

I enjoyed your review. It sounds like you really loved the book. I definitely appreciated many aspects of it, including the storytelling and the structure of the chapters. I didn't like the book quite as much as you did, but I do think many will enjoy it. Thanks for a good review.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. -Scott Adams

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”