Official Review: The Courage to be Free

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Official Review: The Courage to be Free

Post by Dolor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Courage to be Free" by Keisha A. Mitchell, PhD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How strong is your Creed to surpass the steepest Crisis, and to rejoice in the outcome of Change? The Courage To Be Free: Become Who You Were Meant To Be by Keisha A. Mitchell, PhD delves into the three major sections - Creed, Crisis, and Change. Creed for faith, Crisis for adversities, and Change for living a life of excellence.

Creed is narrowed down into three categories - Attitude Check, Stabilizing Faith, and The Discipline of Faith. In short, Creed is all about faith and attitude. Aside from believing that we can achieve our dreams and goals in life, we need to check our attitude, to see clearly what is motivating us. According to the author, without good attitude, our energy will fade and our passion will die.

Crisis is broken down into three categories too - Witnesses Propel Change, Lessons From the Fire, and "In Doubt? Check the Fruit!" Fire refers to life's atrocities. Just as it is a test of gold, it also refers to the tribulations humans are facing. When we experience life's fire, this book is teaching us to stay calm, identify those who could really help us, believe and stay committed, and finally come out cleansed from it.

Change includes four topics - A Love That Restores, See What God Sees, Live the Dream Now, and A Final Word. Just as the stagnant water stinks, and has multiple bacteria, the author points out that stagnant people smell dead - with their dead dreams, disappointment at their failures, and their resentment of others who persevere and succeed. The book is calling us to be not afraid to come out of our comfort zones, and to find the courage to be free.

There are a lot of quotes I like in this book. One of which is, "Fear keeps you trapped in a prison of your own making. That veil impairs your vision, making it difficult for you to see the future just beyond the horizons." We need to be strong, to learn to bend, and not break, during the strong blows of the storms of life.

The Courage To Be Free: Become Who You Were Meant To Be by Keisha A. Mitchell, PhD is published on Lulu Press, in 2017. It is filed under nonfiction genre, has 184 standard pages with 250 words per page, and is narrated in a conversational tone. Random excerpts from the verses of the Bible, which are related to the topic, are quoted and discussed as examples, and proof - the same thing with the quotes from both known and unknown personalities.

Plagiarism is not an issue in this book. The author includes footnotes with attributions, and references. She also looks up to some known personalities, and enumerates the traits she admires in them. A freebie we need to check out - The Personal Vision Development Survey (PVDS) - a tool inserted by author in the last pages, to assist us in creating a new vision. I could say, this book is a very useful reflection guide, geared to strengthen one's faith, shape one's attitude, and transform people's lives.

I have noticed a few punctuation and grammatical errors. The book also needs proper formatting, and outlining. There are random words in bold fonts. The cover needs improvement too. The title which is written in the shades of green fonts, over the broken black chain, can't easily be read. I rate this book, 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this to the general crowd, especially to the Christians.

The Courage to be Free
View: on Bookshelves

Like Dolor's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This books sounds like it has a nice flow to it, which makes it at least a little interesting to me. Too bad about the formatting issues, hope they take your recommendations to heart.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the errors but it sounds like there's a lot of information packed in this book. A little something for everyone. I'll keep this one in mind. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Kat Berg wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 17:24 This books sounds like it has a nice flow to it, which makes it at least a little interesting to me. Too bad about the formatting issues, hope they take your recommendations to heart.
Thanks for dropping by, and leaving a piece from your mind about this book. Yes, the book needs proper editing, and outlining. Lulu Press is a self-publishing site, just like Kindle, you can design your own book and publish it. Maybe, the author did not ask any help from anyone.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

kandscreeley wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 17:30 It's too bad about the errors but it sounds like there's a lot of information packed in this book. A little something for everyone. I'll keep this one in mind. Thanks.
The book is very detailed and insightful. Following takes time, effort, and good attitude. It's only the take off that's hard. When you reach a certain altitude, you'll get used to it. The author takes a bird on a certain altitude - needs not flap it's wings so hard - as an example.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

"Fear keeps you trapped in a prison of your own making. That veil impairs your vision, making it difficult for you to see the future just beyond the horizons." - I like this quote, worth remembering it! The 3 categories are interesting. I can understand that you have really enjoyed your self while reading this book.I believe I can look forward to it!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 20:22 "Fear keeps you trapped in a prison of your own making. That veil impairs your vision, making it difficult for you to see the future just beyond the horizons." - I like this quote, worth remembering it! The 3 categories are interesting. I can understand that you have really enjoyed your self while reading this book.I believe I can look forward to it!
Thanks for dropping by. Yes, I absolutely enjoy reading this book. Read it, you will not regret.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Sounds like the kind of book i would like to read. I do hope the author will correct the errors you noticed as soon as possible. You have written a candid and thoughtful review on this book. Cheers!
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

CambaReviewer wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 08:37 Sounds like the kind of book i would like to read. I do hope the author will correct the errors you noticed as soon as possible. You have written a candid and thoughtful review on this book. Cheers!
Oh, thank you for dropping by, and leaving a some compliments. I hope so...
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Dolor, I think this is the best review of yours I have read so far! Great job!

PS: Hell hath frozen over--I gave a book (with errors, mind you) a 4 out of 4 stars. This might never reoccur in our lifetimes...
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

CommMayo wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 11:24 Dolor, I think this is the best review of yours I have read so far! Great job!

PS: Hell hath frozen over--I gave a book (with errors, mind you) a 4 out of 4 stars. This might never reoccur in our lifetimes...
Oh, thank you for the compliment.

Woah! Really?

Errors huh? Maybe your hell has frozen over. Let it freeze. I'm glad you tried to bend. 😄
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Sounds interesting with the three categories. I for one do not like to be out of my comfort zone much. Appropriate book for me :D
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

melissy370 wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 21:04 Sounds interesting with the three categories. I for one do not like to be out of my comfort zone much. Appropriate book for me :D
It would be a great idea to pick this book up. If you will not come out of your comfort zone, you might feel very secure, but you will wonder how it feels like, and what could've been the best outcome of you did.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Great review, this book would be directed towards religious/spiritual people and it is apparently motivational.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

prettysmart wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 22:05 Great review, this book would be directed towards religious/spiritual people and it is apparently motivational.
Yes, you got it right, but being a wholesome read, this book is for general patronage, especially those from other religions who can tolerate blasphemy.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”