Official Review: Terry Bradshaw: From Super Bowl Champion...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Terry Bradshaw: From Super Bowl Champion...

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Terry Bradshaw: From Super Bowl Champion to Television Personality" by Brett L. Abrams.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Terry Bradshaw: From Super Bowl Champion to Television Personality by Brett L. Abrams is a biography of Terry Bradshaw, the well-known pro football legend. Beginning with the sports figure’s high school playing days, the author explores Bradshaw’s football career with the Pittsburgh Steelers and his experiences after retiring from the NFL. Many of you will recognize Bradshaw as the co-host of Fox TV’s successful football pre-game show on Sundays. You might not be as familiar with his country albums, movie performances, and other pursuits after leaving the NFL.

In 1970, the Louisiana native was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers as the number one pick. He struggled a bit in the first few years, but led the team to a Super Bowl win in 1974 and three more after that. One shining moment during his career was a throw he made that was caught and known as "The Immaculate Reception." The sports media wasn’t always kind to Bradshaw and often tagged him as a dumb, Southern hillbilly.

There is a treasure trove of interesting trivia in this well-researched book. For example, the Steeler’s coach initially rotated three quarterbacks in Bradshaw’s early years with the team. The football star also had a supporting role in several popular movies and was a country-western and gospel singer in the off-season. My favorite part of the book was learning about Bradshaw’s rise up the ladder in sports broadcasting. His fun personality and keen knowledge of the game became a good fit for the pre-game shows, including interviews with players and coaches.

The story gets bogged down by too many details of each football season, including an almost play by play account of certain games. Even the most enthusiastic Terry Bradshaw fan might not be interested in such specifics. I am a football fan and have always admired Bradshaw’s sports achievements and honest, fun personality. Still, I found it difficult to read too many pages in one sitting, due to the overabundance of minute details.

My biggest gripe with this story is the slow pace and, as previously discussed, overly detailed content. I often felt like I was reading a textbook or encyclopedia. Although there are so many interesting tidbits, wading through it all was a bit overwhelming at times. It should also be noted that the PDF file I received has the word “draft” displayed in red on every page, even though the book was published several months ago and is for sale on Amazon.

I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. Bradshaw’s likable, gregarious personality is captured well and there is a wealth of interesting trivia in this story. While the author’s writing style doesn’t make for fast reading, I still enjoyed learning more about this sports legend’s fascinating life. As you might expect, I recommend this book primarily to football fans as other readers might not find the dense content as engaging.

Terry Bradshaw: From Super Bowl Champion to Television Personality
View: on Bookshelves

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not hugely into football, but I do know who Terry Bradshaw is. It seems like this would be an interesting read, but I would definitely get bogged down by the play by play on the games. I don't think I would enjoy this one for that reason, but I'm sure extreme fans would. Thanks for the review, but I'm going to take a pass on this one!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I am not into football either, nor did I hear of Bradshaw. It does sound like a good read for fans of the player and biography. Too bad the book got bogged down by too many details. Not my cup of tea, but I am glad you enjoyed it despite the slow pace. Great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali and Kandscreeley for the nice comments. It was a worthwhile read due to the many interesting facts about a sports celebrity I've always admired. I agree the book is not for everyone.
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I see that we both reviewed books about sports as our latest ones. I'm not into American football (I enjoy what you guys call "soccer," however). I think I would get awfully confused about the details of going into each game...definitely not for me.

As usual, a top-notch review!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Kislany! I like football, but the book was too overly detailed. I think people are interested in watching the games, but it doesn't come across as well when a game is described in too much detail in writing.
DATo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

As I recall Bradshaw was/is a very humorous person. It might be interesting to hear his take on football with this in mind. Of course since he was a professional I can understand why his writing would include the technical parts of the game. I think this aspect of the book would probably appeal to those fans who are more deeply into the sport, but I cannot imagine anything dull coming out of Bradshaw. I haven't followed American football for some time, but I think I might just find this book quite engaging. Terry was playing at a time when I DID follow football very closely.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Hi DATo! Thanks for taking the time to post a comment. Just to be clear, Terry Bradshaw did not write this book. In fact, he declined to be interviewed for the book. If Bradshaw had written the book, it would have probably been more interesting given his fun personality. :) There is so much fascinating information in the story, but the presentation is long and draggy.
mari1121
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mari1121 »

I like this book and love football the book, in my opinion, the book was well written about his life and his career, after all, he played the game of football in the right way talks about everything he knows and did.
Clinical1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Clinical1 »

Terry Bradshaw is an American football icon and seems like a fun guy to be around. I have read similar books on football and NASCAR noteable Coach Joe Gibbs and found it wonderful reading. My husband is not a "book" reader, finds magazines and news articles to be more his style. Gifting this to him for Father's Day may be a good way to bring over to my side. It will certainly help him with his football trivia for the start of summer training camp. Coming off the Eagles SB win, we are in a football downtime right now. This book looks like a great way to fill it. I can't wait for him to read 75% of it out loud to me... as if I won't read it myself. LOL
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Sounds like this is a great book for someone really into football. While I do enjoy Terry Bradshaw (had no idea about the singing career), the in-depth descriptions of football games would probably put me to sleep.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I'm not a football fan, but my brother is...I wonder if he knows Terry Bradshaw. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'd be very lost if I dared venture into reading this book but I'm glad you were still able to enjoy some aspects of it despite being overly detailed. Needless to say, I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Although I think the trivia, like the singing career, would be fun, this book would be a non-finisher for me. I appreciate football, but I did my time listening to guys relive every game they played in college, I absolutely do not want to read it. Thank you for the review, though!
MollyEnter
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollyenter.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by MollyEnter »

I rather like Terry Bradshaw, but this book sounds like it has too much football in it. I love him as a tv show personality, though, and will keep an eye out for maybe a different book about him. Thanks for the review! Nice work.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Am not a sports fanatic but fantastic review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”