Official Review: Lessons From a Difficult Person

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Re: Official Review: Lessons From a Difficult Person

Post by PlanetHauth »

Thanks for the review! I'm glad I stopped by this forum. I'm not usually one to read non-fiction, which is probably doing myself a great disservice. However, the title of the book grabbed my attention immediately.

I've always wondered if I were a difficult person and that's why I have such a small friend group, particularly as a teenager (though maybe most teenagers are difficult because they're balls of raging hormones and identity issues?). I may give this book a read-through and find out! If nothing else, I'd learn something new.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I would love to know the author's definition of who a difficult person is. It is surprising that people will always put up with you without telling your weaknesses so that you can work on them
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Guess, you could give a try one of these days and see how the books can be interesting, full of life and very relatable too. Major lessons on life can be drawn from such non-fiction books.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I am not fond of self-help books, but this seems like an inspiring read. Well done to the author for not only admitting she was a difficult person, but also for doing something about it. That the book contains self-improving exercises is another plus. Not my cup of tea, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
FilmStar
Currently Reading: Rich and Pretty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmstar.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by FilmStar »

This can be a good book to read if you or others find you difficult. None of us are perfect and we all have our stuff. This book can help us admit that we have a problem when we are difficult and what to do about it. I might check it out.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

I like the concept and motivation here but is there any mention of God? I really see this falling completely flat for me if it’s not coming from a Biblical perspective. I have received secular advice in the past regarding how to deal with a difficult person in the workplace and because I believed it was my duty to accept everything this person was telling me, I did as I was advised only to find that everything got worse until I stopped and reoriented my perspective, placing myself back on the bottom rung where I find so much joy.

I am curious if the author has discovered that the only way to not be difficult is to put others first.
Aliyuoniye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Aliyuoniye »

Elliston presents the concept that difficult people don't know they are difficult. Is really great.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This was an excellent self reflection book that highlighted recognizing whether you are considered difficult by others and how you learn from this. The author wrote the book based on her experience and I enjoyed it very much. The onlinebookclub review of the book was written masterfully and I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars.
Mabel6
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mabel6.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Mabel6 »

As I have to learn to work with different people, sometimes difficult in every aspect in my entire life, I find that this book is super helpful and informative. I love how the author acknowledges that she is a difficult person and works on it. I will definitely read.
solanaphillip800
Favorite Book: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-solanaphillip800.html
Latest Review: The Not So Great American Novel by James E. Doucette

Post by solanaphillip800 »

from the review i believe,it is an inspirational and educative story. Love to read this book
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

How interesting to think of being a difficult person and not realizing it, though I suspect most people don’t really look very closely at how others perceive them. I like that she was able to acknowledge her own faults and then find a way to help others deal with their own struggles in this area.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

It takes courage to admit a problem and then fixing it. I will take this book into consideration. Thanks for your review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. I think this book may have something for everyone. I don’t know anyone, myself included who doesn’t have some aspect of difficulty when it comes to being a complex, feeling, and at times slightly flawed human being. Congrats to the author on a great review. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

There has to be a time of reckoning when we can do some deep self- analysis, be honest with ourselves and pinpoint our erroneous ways. Thank you for your honest review.
sagali
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sagali.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by sagali »

i think what makes this book great is because the author understands herself and writes from experience. it sounds like a good read. thanks for the review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”