Official Review: The Innovator’s Field Guide

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Official Review: The Innovator’s Field Guide

Post by CaitlynLynch »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Innovator’s Field Guide" by Dr. Jeff D. Standridge.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I’m normally a fast reader, of both fiction and non-fiction works. I read 15-20 books a month most months. The Innovator’s Field Guide, however, has taken me more than a month to read, because there is so much to read and absorb it’s impossible to coast through without regular pauses to stop, think, and critique one’s approach to life.

As detailed in the book’s About The Author section, Dr. Jeff D. Standridge is impeccably credentialled to write a self-help guide, and he calls on quotations and anecdotes from brilliant leaders from the military, political life and even great artists and creators to reinforce his lessons. From the more obviously successful, like Walt Disney, Nelson Mandela and Thomas Edison, to the offbeat like Hedy Lamarr, the legendary actress who leveraged her beauty and acting ability in order to pursue her passion as an inventor (she created a frequency-hopping technology which today forms the basis for WiFi and Bluetooth), each quote or anecdote is applied to a specific life skill essential for self-improvement.

Each of the book’s 52 chapters ends with a short series of questions to ask ourselves and exercises to conduct in order to assess our personal progress. I found the best way to get the most out of the book was to read one chapter per day and take time to fully absorb its lessons, considering the questions asked and implementing changes after reflecting on what you can do better. Dr. Standridge recommends one chapter per week, possibly why there are 52 in the book, but I didn’t have a year to read it!

My favourite sections included those regarding work-life balance, and Dr. Standridge has inspired me to make a few changes to my own habits with his recommendation to spend the first few working minutes of each day doing the ‘most feared things’ first in order to inspire our brains to greater creativity. I’ll be getting to work on those tax returns first thing tomorrow!

This isn’t just a book for those who aspire to be CEO’s or multimillionaires. I’d say there is good advice here for anyone who considers that they have a career, whether they are self-employed and working from home, part of a small business team or leading a Fortune 500 company. I learned a great deal, and even those (very few) lessons I didn’t think applied to me personally, I still thought were interesting and thought-provoking. I found only a couple of minor spelling and grammar mistakes, and one incidence of tense-hopping in the middle of an anecdote, but these minor issues certainly aren’t enough to stop me rating this book four out of four stars.

The Innovator’s Field Guide
View: on Bookshelves

Like CaitlynLynch's review? Post a comment saying so!
honeyrbhandari
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by honeyrbhandari »

Wow! A crisp review with adequate information for a reader to decide his next self-help book purchase. The statistics that you added at the start, stating that you complete 15-20 books a month and this one tool more than a month is making me as a reader inquisitive. Now, I really want to read this book from start till end to learn those pearls of wisdom. :)
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I am really not into reading self-help books, but your review stirred my curiosity about The Inventor's Field Guide. From the title I would have guessed that maybe there are many technical issues that might put me off. From your description the book is much more than that and although it may take some time to finish it, it seems worth the effort to stop and ponder on the things you read. Thank you for a well-done review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

When I first read your review I thought the book was 1000 page long, but I looked it up on Amazon and it's just 192 pages long. Is it really that thought provoking? One article per week? It seems incredible that you could resist the urge to keep going as a fast reader, since the book isn't that big. It must have many valuable passages. Awesome review!
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't know that I'm an innovator nor do I have my own business. However, this does sound like it's got some good advice for self improvement. I find myself in a rut at the moment, so maybe something like this would help me get out of it! Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
toni bas
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by toni bas »

ordinary i don't like reading a book that's too long..but the way this story was written curiousity would make anyone to read it all
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

Arrigo_Lupori wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 04:38 When I first read your review I thought the book was 1000 page long, but I looked it up on Amazon and it's just 192 pages long. Is it really that thought provoking? One article per week? It seems incredible that you could resist the urge to keep going as a fast reader, since the book isn't that big. It must have many valuable passages. Awesome review!
Each of the chapters is only 2-3 pages, and yes, they really are that thought-provoking. Dr. Standridge poses questions that really make you examine your habits and rethink ways of doing things.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I am so picky about books in the self-help realm, but this book sounds like something that would be a meaningful read, and a step above the average self-help book. Thanks for the review.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

According to you review, this book will somewhat be thought-provoking and people who are interested in innovation would get the most from it.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

Great review! This seems like a really powerful book - I may have to get my hands on a copy.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It's an interesting self-help book. According to your review this book has a vast scope and can guide people from all fields of life.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”