Official Review: How Two Love by Dr Jan Resnick

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: How Two Love by Dr Jan Resnick

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How Two Love" by Dr Jan Resnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Although there is no universally accepted instruction manual on love, many written works are produced on the topic, from a wide range of authors and experts each seeking to provide guidance and wisdom to the reader. Jan Resnick, in his book How Two Love, tackles the age-old concept of love from the perspective of long-term committed relationships. As a psychotherapist with many years of experience counseling couples through relationship problems, he presents his experiences and lessons-learned in an accessible format, and with an encouraging voice.

The book covers a wide range of discussion points relating to the long-term monogamous relationship, starting with the establishing of mutual goals and communication styles, and through the various stages of life and love. The author aims to assist the reader with preempting relationship problems before they occur, and rectifying those that have already taken root. General concepts explored by the author include the dangers of competition and power plays in relationships, the importance of vulnerability and acceptance, the role of romance, the deceptive nature of feelings, and the true definition of compromise. The author also engages in a thorough and shame-free discussion of sexuality within relationships, touching on a variety of different styles of sexual expression.

One of the most successful aspects of the book is the author’s introduction of a small handful of concepts, such as “attunement” and “emphatic negotiation.” The author explains these terms and provides concrete examples (through the use of actual case studies from his practice) that bring the concepts to life, allowing the reader to internalize the message in a way that feels personal, rather than abstract and dry. The case studies also break up the sections of theory to make it easier to process, allowing one to breeze through the book without feeling weighed down by information.

Most importantly, and the primary reason for my high rating, was how relevant the concepts were that were covered in the pages. It seemed as if, at times, the author had actually met with me personally and discussed the exact situations I had dealt with in my relationship. The advice was so relevant, and so spot-on, that I found myself quoting passages of it to my significant other. Because of the wide range of topics covered, and the approachable way with which the concepts are presented, the advice contained in the book is nearly universally relevant. I would recommend this book to anyone who has been in a long-term relationship, or is looking at entering into one, as the suggestions within the pages can benefit any couple.

One small caution I would add is that this is very much a book focused on adult relationships, in every sense of the word. Not only are some of the sections on sexuality rather open in their discussion of “adult” topics, down to specific details at times, but also the entire aim of the book is to have a mature discussion on the topic of commitment in love. This means that those who are not yet at that point in their lives may not find much to relate to in these pages, though it may be a good guide for the future anyway. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for the reasons mentioned above, and also because it was so impeccably edited and well-paced, that it was simply a pleasure to read.

How Two Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a great book for relationships. Constant communication and constant tweaking of the relationship is necessary to really make it work successfully! I'm glad this one resonated with you so well. Thanks for sharing it with us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

Awesome. The "abstract concept with real-world counterpart" scenario is exactly what these books should be like. It gives you an immediate sense on how the matter might play out. Thanks for the review.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Truly great! I actually like the come-forth attitude and no-hidden-agenda concept. Everything is straight forward after all that's what matter. Sensitive situations in love and relationship should be handled with care. I believe this book will provide useful information in helping people to save their relationship. Thank you! Glad you found it engaging!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I love reading relationship books that really speak to me and make me feel as you did, that the author sat down and got to know me and responded to my exact issues. Thank you for the review and your candidness on the author's straightforward approach to certain topics. I will add this to my "must reads".
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

Sounds great. If it is half as great as you have depicted it, then it is a great love manual-if you can call it that.
MA
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I am glad that you mentioned the fact that it was written by a psychotherapist with many years of counselling experience because this would make me or anybody else reading it much more confident in all the information and advice on long-term relationship and the perfect way to cope with various problems. Thank you for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Dassino29
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dassino29 »

This is truly a product of experience and it's timely. The book exposed varieties of ways relationships can thrive. And one of the ways is open communication. Parties involved in a relationship must learn to freely relate with each other on issues concerning them and avoid secrets. A relationship is as good or bad as those involved in it.
Thanks so much.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

This sounds like a thorough read. I am glad it has case studies to apply to your life. Thanks for your review.
Agomoh ugochukwu

Post by Agomoh ugochukwu »

This nice and it provides case to apply in your life.thanks for ur review
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

Relationship books often take an almost accusatory tone; this one sounds helpful and honest and understandable! Thanks for the engaging review and your personal testimony to the book's helpfulness!
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Directed towards people who are already in a relationship and need pointers on saving and/or improving it. Also for those who are curious and want to prepare beforehand. Admirable review!
pinky1234

Post by pinky1234 »

It is truly an idealistic to read up or the facts of love how it should and could be when people are really into each in a loving way it's just beautiful.....
bryanmak
Currently Reading:

Post by bryanmak »

Matters dealing with love are very delicate and have to be handled carefully simply the writer is trying to pin out how make love life easy
Bigirimana Celestin
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigirimana-celestin.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Bigirimana Celestin »

It sounds like an interesting and more resourceful book. The way you reviewed it indicates that the author is highly stylistic. Thank you for great review.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”