Featured Official Review: The Day I Broke My Brain

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Featured Official Review: The Day I Broke My Brain

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Day I Broke My Brain" by Darron Eastwell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

So often in life, we take our health for granted. That is until it's taken from us. Darron Eastwell never once questioned his abilities in life. Working as a Senior Business Banking Manager, his life consisted of high level math and memorization daily. Physically? He was fit and healthy. And then...

It was May 23, 2015; the day was beautiful and sunny. Darron went on a mountain bike ride in Tewantin National Park alone - something he would advise others against. He doesn't remember much about the day. However, apparently a couple of other bikers found him on a trail lapsing in and out of consciousness. That was the day that changed his life.

The Day I Broke My Brain is a short read consisting of only a bit over 100 pages. In it, Mr. Eastwell details his life before and after his Traumatic Brain Injury - a subject not often talked about. He allows us glimpses of his recovery as well as how different his life is today compared to what it was.

His attitude is remarkable, remaining positive in spite of all that he's been through. He shows a determination to recover as much as possible, not only for himself but for his wife and two children as well. This process, though, will likely be lifelong.

I enjoyed the addition of pictures to the book. Comparing the before and after pictures, you wouldn't notice much of a change. But you can't always see every illness on the outside. Suffering myself from an "invisible illness" I understand the ways even something like that would make life so much harder. We as a people tend to judge others based on appearance. Mr. Eastwell is proof, though, that you can't always see on the outside what is going on on the inside.

Unfortunately, I felt that the book could have used a bit more editing. There were many instances of typographical errors mostly consisting of words running together. There were also issues in formatting. Each chapter should have started on a new page, but they merely continued straight on from the previous chapter. These were mildly distracting, but the point of the story is powerful enough to overlook these issues.

I do wish that the book had been a bit longer. I appreciated hearing Darron's struggles with day to day life, but there are some details that are glossed over. I felt that the inclusion of these would help readers to better understand what it has taken to regain all that he has. For instance, I would love to have heard more about what Mr. Eastwell did in various therapy sessions.

Overall, I believe that The Day I Broke My Brain is a powerful book with a positive message. That is why I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. It's a quick read that I would recommend everyone pick up. Life is too short and things change too quickly to take anything for granted which is a lesson that Mr. Eastwell has learned the hard way. Maybe we can all benefit from his lessons.

The Day I Broke My Brain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wow, I can't even imagine having one event change your life forever like that...It's great to hear that his attitude is positive and that he has the support of his family. Too bad about the need for more editing, and I agree, it probably would have been better hear the day to day struggles, including therapy sessions. This probably would have brought out an even more emotional side to the text. But, I love that the message is to not take anything for granted; I strive for this all the time. Thank you for the insightful review and I'm glad you found this to be a powerful read!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks hsimone! I always appreciate your insightful comments. It's definitely a message that I need to learn.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review for what sounds like a really interesting book. It's a reminder of how your life can change in an instant. Hopefully, the author will use a good editor in future writings.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks bookowlie! It definitely makes you think.
—Neil Gaiman
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

This book has a poweful premise where it teaches to take advantage of every opportunity instead of sitting on the side lines or being under active. Motivational much! Thanks for this commendable review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks prettysmart! It is motivational in the sense that it encourages you to take advantage of every moment of time.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Wow, sounds like a emotionally challenging read. People never talk about serious illness and mental illness but in reality it is all right to talk about them. I like the positive drive that Darron have and I hope that it will inspire more in life. I hope you are well Kandes! You have mentioned and I quote "Suffering myself from an "invisible illness" ", I hope you are well! Get well soon! All I have to say for anyone who is facing this issue "This Too Shall Pass!" Thanks for the amazing review.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 20:47 Wow, sounds like a emotionally challenging read. People never talk about serious illness and mental illness but in reality it is all right to talk about them. I like the positive drive that Darron have and I hope that it will inspire more in life. I hope you are well Kandes! You have mentioned and I quote "Suffering myself from an "invisible illness" ", I hope you are well! Get well soon! All I have to say for anyone who is facing this issue "This Too Shall Pass!" Thanks for the amazing review.
Thanks Sahani! I have a chronic illness. It will never go away, but I'm in no way comparing myself to the author. He has suffered so much more. It is inspiring, though, that he's kept a positive attitude in spite of it all.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

kandscreeley wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 20:54
Sahani Nimandra wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 20:47 Wow, sounds like a emotionally challenging read. People never talk about serious illness and mental illness but in reality it is all right to talk about them. I like the positive drive that Darron have and I hope that it will inspire more in life. I hope you are well Kandes! You have mentioned and I quote "Suffering myself from an "invisible illness" ", I hope you are well! Get well soon! All I have to say for anyone who is facing this issue "This Too Shall Pass!" Thanks for the amazing review.
Thanks Sahani! I have a chronic illness. It will never go away, but I'm in no way comparing myself to the author. He has suffered so much more. It is inspiring, though, that he's kept a positive attitude in spite of it all.
Never give up! If you ponder on that it will affect you more. The secret for curing cancer is happiness. No matter what happens I am well and happy. I have happy memories and happy moments in my life. Depression is a vine that kills even a great tree. Do Not Fall to that. Be happy always! Kands
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
JJNP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnp.html
Latest Review: The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by JJNP »

I have to admit, I am drawn to books where challenges are battled and obstacles are overcome. I admire people who fight back, who don't give up, and better still, who inspire others by writing or sharing an account of their experiences to inspire and encourage others. This is on my maybe list for my bookshelf.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Hmmm, so he had this uber tragic event but lived to write a book about it? Kudos to modern medicine and his doctors I suppose!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

JJNP wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 03:37 I have to admit, I am drawn to books where challenges are battled and obstacles are overcome. I admire people who fight back, who don't give up, and better still, who inspire others by writing or sharing an account of their experiences to inspire and encourage others. This is on my maybe list for my bookshelf.
It's encouraging for sure! Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

NL Hartje wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 19:26 Hmmm, so he had this uber tragic event but lived to write a book about it? Kudos to modern medicine and his doctors I suppose!
His positive attitude surely helped! Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Great review. I love books written from personal perspectives. This book seems to offer an emotional arc with a very positive message of overcoming challenges.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”