Official Review: The Simple Little Rule by Mike Ellerkamp

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: The Simple Little Rule by Mike Ellerkamp

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Simple Little Rule" by Mike Ellerkamp.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Simple Little Rule: The Golden Rule Rediscovered Volume I is an enlightening book written by Mike Ellerkamp.

The author’s goal in writing this book is for the readers to find peaceful motivation from the constant practice of the Golden Rule and he hopes that the readers will experience happiness, fulfillment and prosperity and create a healthier environment for themselves and a better future for their children.

In addition to the Introduction, the book has twelve interesting and enlightening chapters. The author begins by sharing personal information about himself, his early childhood, early marriage, military life, spiritual life and his disillusionment with religion. This disillusionment leads him on a journey to search for the Truth by himself and comes up with five supporting principles that help execute the Golden Rule: wisdom, justice, courage, moderation and discipline.

This is a great, enlightening, and passionately and scholarly-written book about the very simple, ancient and spiritual principle known as the Golden Rule which is phrased in one sentence that goes like any of these:

"What one does not wish for oneself, one ought not to do to anyone else; what one recognizes as desirable for oneself, one ought to be willing to grant to others." –Confucius

"Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find harmful." – Buddha

"Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others." –Socrates

"Regard your neighbor’s gain as your gain, and your neighbor’s loss as your own loss." –Lao Tzu

Aside from the Golden Rule or the Law of Reciprocity, the author includes in his discussions other universal laws including Law of Attraction, Law of Gravity, Law of Energy and Law of Motion among others. Moreover, he enumerates four standards of reasoning present within the guiding principle of the Golden Rule: universality, neutrality, consistency and transparency as well as four attributes of the Supreme Creator: omnipresence, omnipotence, omniscience and immutability. He also offers his opinion about the never-ending debate on creation versus evolution; introduces the idea of universal consciousness; and mentions the Code of Hammurabi, the Ten Commandments and the Hundredth Monkey Thesis.

There are three things I like most about the book. First, I appreciate the personal experiences (most of them from his days as a Ranger) the author shares with the readers. All of them are very interesting and educative. I particularly like the story about the elderly driver who was sued for physical injuries. Second, I appreciate that the author takes the time to explain some terms (like rapelling and snap link) to make the stories more easily understandable. Finally, I very much appreciate that the book does not focus on religion.

However, this is not an easy read. It requires focus, undivided attention and fair amount of knowledge about science, history and the scripture. Not once did I find myself going back a page or two to fully understand and appreciate the beautiful lessons and messages of the book.

I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is educative, enlightening, scholarly-written and well-referenced. I recommend it to readers who enjoy inspirational books.

The Simple Little Rule
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's nice that the author adds personal stories to make this really hit home. Sounds like a really good book, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 08:15 It's nice that the author adds personal stories to make this really hit home. Sounds like a really good book, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks so much!
You're welcome. It's a great book.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Thanks for this detailed and insightful review. This review is so well written that it has piqued my interest. I always like motivational or non-fiction books that incorporate a bit of real life examples to make it more real and easy to relate to. Well done!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

CambaReviewer wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 13:10 Thanks for this detailed and insightful review. This review is so well written that it has piqued my interest. I always like motivational or non-fiction books that incorporate a bit of real life examples to make it more real and easy to relate to. Well done!
Thank you. I enjoyed the book a lot!
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

The Golden rule of reciprocation. Sounds like a great book to read. Has all the answers to most of humanity problems. I think I might jump onto it.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Melchi Asuma wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 02:29 The Golden rule of reciprocation. Sounds like a great book to read. Has all the answers to most of humanity problems. I think I might jump onto it.
Great book, indeed. Thank you for the comment.
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

There are so many books that say to have the key to it all though, what differentiates this one from say, The Secret? Or The Golden Ticket?

You know what I mean? It feels like they use a very similar marketing strategy to sell more books, I've seen many like this one.

With that said, I do believe you when you say that it is a good book, it's just that I do not like the way these books are titled and proposed to the audience.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Arrigo_Lupori wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 05:59 There are so many books that say to have the key to it all though, what differentiates this one from say, The Secret? Or The Golden Ticket?

You know what I mean? It feels like they use a very similar marketing strategy to sell more books, I've seen many like this one.

With that said, I do believe you when you say that it is a good book, it's just that I do not like the way these books are titled and proposed to the audience.
Basically, 'The Secret' is about the Law of Attraction while this book is about the Law of Reciprocity. You may feel that writing these types of books is just a marketing strategy to sell more books but it could be that the authors are genuinely passionate about the subjects because they really believe them and they feel the need to share them with others. Just like you, I've seen and read several books like this one. Some of them are really good while others are not that good and it's up to the readers to discriminate which books support their belief system. Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I have books related to this theme and I know it's value, but personally the side about the author's use of personal stories as a support content does add credentials to the book. I like it and look forward in reading it! Thanks for your details!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 20:51 I have books related to this theme and I know it's value, but personally the side about the author's use of personal stories as a support content does add credentials to the book. I like it and look forward in reading it! Thanks for your details!
So true about the author's personal stories. I hope you get a chance to read it.
Hailey Mattingly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Hailey Mattingly »

Great read! Defiantly reccoment! I didn’t know the history behind the Golden Rule and I loved his supporting principle chapters on wisdom, justice, courage, discipline and moderation. Good advice for a very smart man.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Hailey Mattingly wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 08:25 Great read! Defiantly reccoment! I didn’t know the history behind the Golden Rule and I loved his supporting principle chapters on wisdom, justice, courage, discipline and moderation. Good advice for a very smart man.
A great read, indeed. Thank you for the comment and welcome to the forum.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I liked that you mentioned the book is not focused on religion, since these types of books too often have an overly religious tone and get too preachy. The quotes you included made me want to find out more about the book. I am off to read the sample!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Hailey Mattingly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Hailey Mattingly »

bookowlie wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 11:59 Great review! I liked that you mentioned the book is not focused on religion, since these types of books too often have an overly religious tone and get too preachy. The quotes you included made me want to find out more about the book. I am off to read the sample!
I was actually extremely anticipating this book to have a really religions undertone but I’m so glad it didn’t. Any person of any religion can appreciate the morals behind this book. You won't be disappointed!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”