Official Review: Rakhine Touristy Stupas by Htay Win

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Official Review: Rakhine Touristy Stupas by Htay Win

Post by va2016 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rakhine Touristy Stupas" by Htay Win.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a review of the book Rakhine Touristy Stupas by Htay Win. This book attempts to serve as a comprehensive guide about the Buddhist temples called ‘Pagodas’ and ‘Stupas’ located in the Rakhine State of Myanmar.

The book is intended for travelers and spiritual seekers looking for information about the Buddhist temples in the Rakhine area. The introduction provides a very good summary of what's inside the book. The difference between a pagoda and a stupa is dealt with in detail. The origin of the word ‘Stupa’ has been established with instances of evidence from the temple inscriptions. There are detailed descriptions of the Buddhist temples covering their architecture, dimensions, background stories, and the naming reasons. I liked the writing about the Sandamuni Buddha statue and the Pasinkata Mudra. Some good photos of the pagodas have been shared, e.g., Ratanamankin, Tayzarama, Chitthaung. The photos show the dire state of some pagodas that need maintenance. Detailed information about Rakhine area and its culture have been provided, e.g., wrestling competitions that happen in the area, the Thingyan festival, details about the Vesali oil lamp, ‘Ngapali’ and ‘Mrauk U’ towns, information about the mythical animals depicted in the temples. The historical happenings like the occupation of the Rakhine area by the British after the first Anglo-Burmese war, the British stealing the bronze statues in Myanmar, a Rakhine king recapturing 12 cities from the Muslims are highlighted well.

The book falls short of the standards of a comprehensive guidebook because of the writing style, narration, and the formatting. I felt that the author should have sought help from someone well-versed in English to write this book. The wordy narration makes the reader lose interest in the book after a while. Every pagoda’s description sounds almost similar. By organizing data about the pagodas as tables and adding more pictures of the pagodas, the book would have elicited more interest. The spiritual significance of the pagodas is not forthcoming in the narration. While the author mentions that Buddha’s hair, rib, and bone relics are being maintained in some pagodas, he does not elaborate on how a relic is significant for a spiritual seeker. While writing about a temple that has 108 stupas, the author does not mention why the number 108 is significant. The design reasons behind the architectures of the temples are not specified. Most of the pagoda pictures are from a distance and do not create the visual appeal that would make a traveler visit these places. The number of pictures is also very less, especially of the Ngapali beach, its seashore, and the nearby mountains. There is no consistency in the book in the usage of distance units; both miles and kilometers are being used.

The book has not been professionally edited. There are several formatting, grammatical and mechanical errors. There are spelling, punctuation, and capitalization errors, usages of wrong words, wrong propositions, and wrong articles. The table of contents section at the beginning is just empty. The note accompanying a picture often appears on the next page rather than below the picture. The same contents are sometimes repeated multiple times, e.g., the details about the Ngapali beach.

Overall, I found that this book falls short of its objective to be a comprehensive guide for the Rakhine area Buddhist temples. The narration is long-winding and the organization of information is not appealing to the reader. The book does not satisfy a traveler’s quest to find out about the place for sight-seeing and tourist activities, as there are not enough attractive pictures. There is no depth in the information provided through the stories to be motivated to visit the temples. I wanted to give this book 3 out of 4 stars owing to the extensive information shared about the temples. Because of the bad narration, ineffective information organisation, and the book not being of great use to the travelers and the spiritual seekers, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars.

Rakhine Touristy Stupas
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like va2016's review? Post a comment saying so!
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

It is a pity that you did not enjoy this book. Perhaps an English speaking editor might help to convey the intended message and travel guidance in a more lucid manner. Thanks for sharing your experience. Well done!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I picked up a copy of this book to review, only for me to get a version written in a language completely foreign to me. I strongly agree with you that the author should employ the services of an English speaking editor.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Ezekielafog12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Ezekielafog12 »

Thanks for sharing your experience.God bless you
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like it COULD be a good guidebook, but the author would need to sit down with a native English speaker and sort some things out. This isn't really a subject that interests me, and since the book isn't that great in the first place, I don't think I'll be reading it. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Wish if this book had been completed to it's best it would have been great! I would have found it useful since I am a Buddhist and I look forward to travel to burma. Anyway, thank you for your honest details!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

It's a pity the book failed to hit the mark. I would have loved to read up all about Rakhine area Buddhist temples.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
rs1977
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rs1977.html
Latest Review: The Composition of Honey by J. L. Brandenburg

Post by rs1977 »

As you said, professional editing, organising data, more quality pictures would have
increased the value of the book. Thanks for the detailed review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”