Official Review: Golden Kicks by Jason Coles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Golden Kicks by Jason Coles

Post by Izesicle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Golden Kicks" by Jason Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I'm a reformed shoe shopaholic. My lowest point was buying 15 pairs of shoes at one time then having to bring them to work simply because I passed by a sale pre-shift. By shoes, I mean stiletto-heeled shoes. With sneakers, I'm on the opposite extreme. I just bought a pair when I had to, then wore them until they broke down.

My apathy about sneakers despite my love for shoes attracted me to Golden Kicks: The Shoes that Changed Sport by Jason Coles. It is non-fiction beautifully-illustrated in the style of a coffee table book. It starts off powerfully with a foreword by tennis legend Stan Smith who humbly jokes about being known more as a name on an iconic Adidas shoe than as a real person. The author's introduction talks about how he got hooked by the story of the Dassler brothers of Bavaria, whose feud led to the creation of Puma and Adidas.

The book is a compilation of the origin stories of 57 pairs of legendary sneakers. Each pair has a couple of two-page spreads devoted to it, with 2 page-size pictures - one of the shoe and another of the relevant sporting event. The first story is about the Converse All-Star shoe in 1917. The last featured shoe is the Under Armour Curry II in 2016.

Like Jason, I got hooked by the stories too. Stories about shoemakers collaborating with athletes who had innovative ideas captivated me. So did the stories about hardworking people who defied the odds and other challenges like snobbish aristocrats or Hitler's racism. The full color pictures and the cute illustrations drew me in. Jason's research was thorough. The historical details were convincing and, if the stories were based on oral legends, still entertaining. I enjoyed the book so much, I kept talking about it with friends.

Consequently, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I could not find fault with it. The content is top-notch and the storytelling riveting. There were rare sentences that could use a comma but they're negligible. Overall, the book seems to be professionally edited and has a reader-friendly layout and design. Given that history is included, there might be some topics too sensitive for young readers. I recommend it to anyone curious about sport and shoe history, along with self-identified sneakerheads. With the rise of athleisure, almost everyone owns a pair of sneakers or are familiar with the top sportsgear brands, making this book very relevant to the times.

Golden Kicks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Izesicle's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell

Post by Kat Berg »

I am not sure that I would naturally gravitate to this book on purpose, but it definitely sounds like something that I would pick up if it were sitting out, (I read EVERYTHING! If it is in front of me, I read it) and then an hour later I would still be reading it because I totally got sucked in. :D Thanks for the review.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

The first paragraph of your review cracked me up. This is definitely a book I would read. Shoes are a guilty pleasure of mine as well.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Like you, I really only buy tennis shoes when there's a powerful need for them, yet this sounds like a really interesting and educational read, made all the better by illustrations. Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm kind of like Kat. I wouldn't gravitate to a book like this, but I would pick it up if I saw it sitting out. I'm not quite as much of a shoe-aholic as you. It sounds interesting, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Izesicle
Currently Reading:

Post by Izesicle »

Kat Berg wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 02:04 I am not sure that I would naturally gravitate to this book on purpose, but it definitely sounds like something that I would pick up if it were sitting out, (I read EVERYTHING! If it is in front of me, I read it) and then an hour later I would still be reading it because I totally got sucked in. :D Thanks for the review.
classic bookworm trait, reading everything :)
Izesicle
Currently Reading:

Post by Izesicle »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 10:25 The first paragraph of your review cracked me up. This is definitely a book I would read. Shoes are a guilty pleasure of mine as well.
I totally lied. I just transferred my shopping addiction to books, hehe. Enjoy the book and appreciate your shoes more.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:

Post by Izesicle »

MsTri wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 13:45 Like you, I really only buy tennis shoes when there's a powerful need for them, yet this sounds like a really interesting and educational read, made all the better by illustrations. Thanks for the review!
I used to buy based on looks and functionality. This book is definitely going to make me more mindful of shoe models. Enjoy!
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This sounds like a pretty unique book. I really enjoy how you start your review off with a funny personal story.
Boydbunch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boydbunch.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Boydbunch »

At first I was thinking it would be a boring read, although I have often wondered the history behind the development of some sports shoes. Loved your intro in your review and you actually have me wanting to at least thumb through for shoes that interest me to see the history in the making.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Izesicle wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 16:02
Mercy Bolo wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 10:25 The first paragraph of your review cracked me up. This is definitely a book I would read. Shoes are a guilty pleasure of mine as well.
I totally lied. I just transferred my shopping addiction to books, hehe. Enjoy the book and appreciate your shoes more.
:lol:

Great review of a book I would never bothered to give a second glance (unless, like everybody else here.....)
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It's a very interesting and unique book on shoemaking. Illustrations makes it more charming. Thanks for your nice review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Izesicle
Currently Reading:

Post by Izesicle »

CommMayo wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 12:48 This sounds like a pretty unique book. I really enjoy how you start your review off with a funny personal story.
thanks! The old me would have bought new sneakers after reading that book. It's thinly-veiled brand promotion.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”