Official Review: Character Loves Company by Pete Paciorek

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: Character Loves Company by Pete Paciorek

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Character Loves Company" by Pete Paciorek.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We live in a world where competition is everything, where striving to be the first and the best are notions drilled into each of us from a young age. If you’re not one of the best, you lag behind. If you lag behind, you won’t get that coveted scholarship to that prestigious school. And if you don’t get into that school, your life is no longer a success but a failure. Or, at least, that’s what most parents would want their kids to believe. That’s the atmosphere children who have an interest in sports are growing up in.

And that’s the very mentality coach Pete Paciorek talks against in his book Character Loves Company. The “win-at-all-costs” attitude is not healthy. It creates students who gain the wrong view of life, learn the wrong values and grow up to continue fostering that negative mindset that is so prevalent in the Western world.

Pete Paciorek is a coach of youth baseball, following in the footsteps of his father who was also a coach in his time. His father instilled in him the right values, which helped Pete grow into a person with his priorities straight. He understands that coaching is not only about making great athletes but also about preparing them for a life after sports. He wants to instill the right values into our youth when the society itself is moving towards profits, with a sad side-effect that creates ego-hungry coaches.

In his book, Character Loves Company, Paciorek describes 25 important character values, split into smaller groups appropriate for various ages. Development starts at a very young age, and that’s where he begins the first five character values as well, suitable for children of ages 5 to 7.

Next, he discusses the core values for kids of further age groups until, finally, when they have internalized these values and have reached the teen and young-adult ages, they can learn the advanced mastery character values which talk about winning the right way and, in turn, teaching new children athletes the same values they have learned through this course.

To illustrate his points, the author has gathered several snippets from his numerous interviews with professional and amateur athletes, as well as coaches from all over America. Each snippet has a valuable lesson to teach, so when reading the book, don’t let your eyes glaze over them. They’re truly important. At the end of each section, he includes several activities for coaches to help the kids understand and learn these values.

I have to admit that I am neither living in the US (the book is very American-centric, it IS a book about sports in the US) nor am I an athlete or a coach. I am just someone who loves to watch sports (especially tennis). I chose this book because the 2018 Winter Olympics has just started, so I had a reason to immerse myself deeper into the sports world as I read the book and watched the games unfold on TV.

I grew up with friends and classmates who practiced sports at school, and I realized that without intending, the author wrote a book that applies everywhere in the Western world. As every country becomes more and more competitive, there is a tendency of coaches, parents and even school administrators to become extremely “pushy” with students. Also, the “us” and “we” mentality is quickly turned into “I” and “me” with the clear meaning that everyone is for himself or herself and there is only one winner.

The book is written in a clear tone. The language used by the author is personal and straight to the point. While reading, I had a feeling that he was talking directly to me during a 1-1 conversation. I found only a handful of punctuation errors (a comma added before a dependent clause, no hyphen added to a compound adjective, and a few periods missing at the end of some sentences). Otherwise, this is a professionally edited book.

Even though I admit that I am not the most likely target audience for this book, I learned a lot from it. Character Loves Company deserves 4 out of 4 stars. It stands out in a sea of books which promote the usual “win above all else” mentality. It teaches the right values to follow, and it should be required reading for every coach and every parent whose kids practice sports of any kind.

Character Loves Company
View: on Bookshelves

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

kislany wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 03:43 We live in a world where competition is everything, where striving to be the first and the best are notions drilled into each of us from a young age. If you’re not one of the best, you lag behind. If you lag behind, you won’t get that coveted scholarship to that prestigious school. And if you don’t get into that school, your life is no longer a success but a failure. Or, at least, that’s what most parents would want their kids to believe.
I love this.
Thank you for your well written review, it really sound like an interesting and informative book to read.
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Thank you. I am not a sports person by any means, but I've gained lots from it nevertheless.
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

From your description, the book seems to include aspects related to child psychology too. Thank you for your review.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
mckaymichaeldj
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mckaymichaeldj »

feeling inspired to keep on pushing 🙏
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

High praise indeed. It sounds like a great book. I agree we definitely push winning too much. What about playing the game with integrity? Thanks for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I don't know if I would have picked this book up just reading the title or looking at the cover, but your review has made it a very enticing read. I think I share at least some of the views that this author espouses and I am curious to read more of what he has to say on character development. I am officially putting it on my TBR list. :) Thanks for the great review.
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

Wow, this must be an amazing book, I especially love the way he uses sport to talk about values in life!
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review for what sounds like a very interesting book! I like that the author includes excerpts from interviews with coaches and young athletes to illustrate his points. Glad you were able to enjoy the book even though you are not the target audience, given the subject matter.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

The fact that you gave it four out of four stars while acknowledging that you are not the target audience really speaks to how well done this book is. I would probably find myself agreeing with much of what this author has to say.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Well being a student, I understand the concept of this book however am not into sports so athletic students would find more use for it. Awesome review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”