Official Review: What is and isn't Working for the Alcoho...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: What is and isn't Working for the Alcoho...

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What is and isn't Working for the Alcoholic and Addict" by Alberta Sequeira.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Frankly, I never took the byword that says one should not judge a man until one has walked in his shoes seriously before I read the book, What is and isn’t Working for the Alcoholic and Addict by Alberta H. Sequeira, who lost her husband and a daughter due to alcoholism. Consequently, she compiled the stories in this narrative to help liquor and drug dependents, who are in denial, realize that they can be clean. As the title reveals, this nonfiction is about what works and doesn’t work for addicts in their journeys to recovery. This publication includes accounts written by thirty-three, former substance abusers about their personal experiences as users and their steps to restoration. Being inspirational, motivational, and spiritual, this guide has all that is required to become substance-free.

Alberta premised the narration with the definition of addiction and referred to the latter as a disease that eats away its victims. She disclosed that for sobriety to be attained, an addict should participate in repeated counseling, Alcoholics Anonymous/Narcotics Anonymous meetings, have a change of lifestyle, pray daily, and keep away from drinking and drug-using buddies. In addition, she suggested that the duration of recovery programs should be longer, and the Patient Privacy Law for alcoholics, drug abusers, and persons with mental illness should be modified to allow family members to be involved in the recovery process. In this book, it’s advised that doctors, counselors, and psychiatrists should not dwell on the substance use but should handle the reason for the habituation.

Fascinatingly, this work unveils one story after another narrated by the contributors, among whom are authors, counselors, life coaches, and speakers. Although some of them are anonymous, a few are from Canada and the others are from various states in America. Some were addicted to only alcohol while the rest of them were hooked on both alcohol and dopes. Well written and narrated in the first person point of view by the author and the different narrators, this compilation has the ability to hold a reader spellbound as each page brings out the unspeakable activities in the world of an addict; from the first day of dependency to recovery. At a steady pace, the plot is captivating and interesting, and there are revelations and helpful details in each tale.

Thoroughly, each narrator describes his first ecstasy induced by spirits/narcotic, further indulgences, family history, why he decided to stop drinking or taking drugs, his experiences in AA/NA meetings and rehabilitation centers/halfway houses, and what made him pull through. Many of the contributors attribute their improvements to their faith in a “Higher Power,” believing in God and surrendering their lives to the Lord, Jesus Christ. From the multiple, personal stories written, I saw that several drinkers and users seek solace in substances mostly because of family and emotional problems. Unwisely, some of them are involved to overcome momentarily their feelings of guilt, physical and emotional abuse, anger, bitterness, low self-esteem, humiliation, and self-pity. As should be expected, a good few of them have boozers and trippers as parents and siblings.

Before reading the stories, I used to hold addicts responsible for their predicaments and insisted that they should suffer the aftermath of their actions, but after I finished reading, my perspective on substance abusers changed because I discovered that most of them did not intentionally choose that lifestyle, but a lot of factors beyond their control prompted them subconsciously to depend on the bottles and dopes. Altogether, the narrative highlights how willingness, clearing away doubts, failure, disappointment, and shame can be essential for the recovery of addicts. Invariably, the contributors admonished relatives to support users with tough love, without being forceful and judgmental. Explored in this narration, are the consequences of addiction such as, loss of jobs and properties, separation from family members and good friends, legal issues, declining health, and death. Most of the stories are kind of similar, but each tale has a unique information to get across to readers. Unfortunately, I noticed some awkward sentences and grammatical errors that made me occasionally re-read certain lines for comprehension. For example, "my sister got me on a conference call and told me how ill I looked did I quit" in page 250 and "I blacked out and became got violently ill" in page 164. Needful to say, I wasn't distracted by these flaws. I still grasped the intended message and enjoyed reading the text. Following the write-ups, at the end of the book, are some spiritual and inspiring poems to motivate and direct addicts.

Lastly, this book is one of a kind and carries a global message that will save lots of lives and make our societies better. However, because of the above-mentioned errors I rate it 3 out of 4 stars and recommend it for addicts desiring recovery, their family members, doctors, counselors, psychiatrists, and especially for non-using teenagers and adults to dissuade them from getting involved in substance abuse.

What is and isn't Working for the Alcoholic and Addict
View: on Bookshelves

Like Rosemary Wright's review? Post a comment saying so!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This is such an informative book that one will be benefited with the knowledge of alcohol addicts since they are many of them everywhere and to use that knowledge to help one of our family members or friends that are affected with this addiction. Thank you for your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 21:04 This is such an informative book that one will be benefited with the knowledge of alcohol addicts since they are many of them everywhere and to use that knowledge to help one of our family members or friends that are affected with this addiction. Thank you for your review.
You're welcome. Thanks for stopping by to read my review. Indeed, it's a great book full of useful information for addicts and their loved ones.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

From your review I think this book may be useful for people in desperate need of some hope and light in their lives. Thank you.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator

cristinaro wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 10:11 From your review I think this book may be useful for people in desperate need of some hope and light in their lives. Thank you.
You're welcome. Yes, it may. Thanks for reading.
pauljames_03
Currently Reading: The Prisoner and the Chaplain
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauljames-03.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by pauljames_03 »

As such, alcohol addicts have been judged entirely for their actions, not for their predicaments. A mix of being an informational and inspirational book, this write-up would help the readers to comprehend the very nature of alcoholism. Thank you for the review!
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator

pauljames_03 wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 22:33 As such, alcohol addicts have been judged entirely for their actions, not for their predicaments. A mix of being an informational and inspirational book, this write-up would help the readers to comprehend the very nature of alcoholism. Thank you for the review!
You're right. Thanks for stopping by.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the errors. I do hope, though, that this book's message gets across. If it even helps one person suffering from addiction or someone to understand someone else's addiction, it would be worth it. Thanks for sharing it with us!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator

kandscreeley wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 08:49 It's too bad about the errors. I do hope, though, that this book's message gets across. If it even helps one person suffering from addiction or someone to understand someone else's addiction, it would be worth it. Thanks for sharing it with us!
You're welcome. Thanks for reading my review, and I appreciate your comment. Yeah, even if it's one person, the book helps, that would be some success.
fredoz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by fredoz »

Thanks for this book it's cardinal in our lives
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator

fredoz wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 16:05 Thanks for this book it's cardinal in our lives
Yeah, it is. Thanks for reading the review and your encouraging comment.
CMwangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by CMwangi »

being in a situation whereby I wonder where I am on a scale of 1-10 towards alcoholism, I believe this book gives me motivation to know where I am, and having stories from actual characters, it helps the reader connect with what the author has compiled, and draw inspiration from the book. A must read for someone battling with alcohol and substance abuse
Fatolo88
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Fatolo88 »

Thank you so much i like this.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Wow. This book ties in well to the book review I just posted for a book told from the viewpoint of a recovering addict. I like to see the multiple sides of addiction being represented. Thanks for your review.
JJNP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnp.html
Latest Review: The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by JJNP »

This is an interesting subject. I work as a volunteer and I think this book would be very relevant to my work.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”